Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2009 12:00

Will XPS 420 accept an Intel Q9400 Processor?

I have a Q9400 that doesn't seem to be "supported" by the system.  Is this processor usable?  If it is a BIOS or driver issue, how do I up-rev without having a processor?

I purchased this system w/o a HDD, processor or any cards.  Would like to get it up and running.  Someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

John

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 1st, 2009 12:00

jbmoondog

The Q9400 CPU is not to be supported by the XPS420.

You can find a list of supported processors and other useful information HERE

Bev.

5 Posts

December 4th, 2009 07:00

jbmoondog

The Q9400 CPU is not to be supported by the XPS420.

You can find a list of supported processors and other useful information HERE

Bev.

Thanks for the info Bev.  I swapped the Q9400 for a E8400 duo that is on the list of compatibles.  I had to up-rev the bios from A04 to A07 in order for the error message to go away...so it looks like the bios was a part of the solution. (had to boot from the vista restore CD to flash the bios)

Still need to figure out why I can't get the wireless card, video card, etc installed.  The DVD rom (Plextor) doesn't seem supported by Dell?  It will only spin up Dell software disks, but not anything else...

Thanks again!

John

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 4th, 2009 08:00

John.

Happy to have helped.

The Plextor DVD/ROM should read all the discs, not just the Dell discs, maybe there's another problem, the best place to post this in, would be the Disk Drives (HDD, CD/DVD, Blu-ray) forum HERE.

Bev.

No Events found!