PCMR
1 Copper

Will a gtx 1060 fit in my XPS 8700

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dell XPS 8700 specs: 

CPU: Intel core i7-4790

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 745 (Planning to change to 1060)

PSU: 460W 

RAM: 12gb

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within the next month or so I'm planning on getting a gtx 1060 6gb. I know that the card should work with the computer. I've also upgraded my BIOS to A11. I just don't know if the card would fit. I want to get one that has dual fans . I could get the gtx 1060 mini but I've heard it heats up easily because it only has one fan. Apparently the case also has bad airflow.

(Sorry if I sound dumb, I'm new to PC Building/upgrading)

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dperry112
2 Iron

RE: Will a gtx 1060 fit in my XPS 8700

Yes, it fits. I did this myself. Did not see any overheating but then I was not playing demanding games.

0 Kudos
PCMR
1 Copper

The dual fan?

0 Kudos
Dan-H
3 Zinc

Yes, it will fit. I have an MSI GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr in an 8700 and it is snug, but it fits.

You may need a longer SATA cable.

My opinion is you should also upgrade your power supply, but that is an ongoing topic of debate.

My perspective is, the OEM Dell power supply is Meh at best and if I am going to invest $400 USD on a graphics card, I'll invest $60 to $80 in a top notch power supply and never wonder about having stable power.

And it will be more efficient, and the PSU fan will be quieter, and it will look cool and if you get a great PSU it will likely outlast everything in the system.

0 Kudos