Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 18th, 2013 07:00

Will not boot, persistent yellow light, Vostros 220

Vostros  220

replaced power unit with increased power unit about two years ago.

No issues until present problem

Very, very, dusty inside...cleaned it up

viewing a You Tube vid when suddenly monitor went black. Noticed yellow light on monitor indicating no vid feed. Then noticed yellow light on tower, not usual blue. Rebooted comp. One beep, persistent yellow light. Re-booted, no beep, comp re-booted itself, Could hear spinning (fan?) but no start-up, monitor remains black. Think there is a very faint beep initially...then nothing but spinning sound...

Opened comp, dusted, reseated RAM, HD connections, etc., all to no avail.

Would appreciate any suggestions as to possible root of problem. Thanks all.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2013 07:00

Power Supply has failed.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2013 08:00

It seems quite clear that persistent aka solid Yellow is the state.:emotion-9:

If the power light is steady amber, a device may be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.
Remove and then reinstall the memory modules .
Remove and then reinstall any cards .
Eliminate interference. Some possible causes of interference are:
Power, keyboard, and mouse extension cables
Too many devices on a power strip
Multiple power strips connected to the same electrical outlet

OR Bad power supply.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Lou

Is the amber power button LED, blinking, or solid?

The Vostro 420/220/220s Diagnostic Guide and Troubleshooter, is here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-220_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

3.3K Posts

Hi Lou,

If the power light is steady amber, there may be a power problem or an internal device malfunction.

Check for the Power supply light at the rear end of the tower. If the Power Supply Light Led is not light up, the power supply is defective.

Also, 1 beep indicates BIOS checksum failure and a possible motherboard failure.

I recommend you to disconnect the Power plug from the tower, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power. Now try to restart the computer.

Refer the following link for more troubleshooting:

http://dell.to/11IWOpR

Please post back the results.

25 Posts

June 18th, 2013 12:00

My thanks to Speed, Bev, and Rajesh for your prompt response. I wasn't expecting so soon a reply. I'm grateful..

On to the matter at hand. Seems I am guilty of every potential cause of my present predicament. I have wires, power strips, wifi, wireless devices to spare. Lately, I added an internet keyboard. Two days ago, in fact.

Rajesh, in so far as the power supply LED,  I do not have such a light on my Vostro 220.. Could this be a result of my installing the replacement power supply as I mentioned above?

On a second listening, I see I was in error about the beep. There is none. Just the spinning of the fans, as I mentioned.

I read he manual suggested by Bev and do intend to reinstall memory mods, and the other diagnostics suggested.

Speed, if this proves ineffectual how, short of a replacement, do I determine that it is in effect , the power supply causing the problem?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2013 13:00

There isn't a psychic fix. If the supply is bad.  it must be replaced.

They are not user serviceable Parts.

25 Posts

June 19th, 2013 11:00

No psychic fix? Shucks. But I follow you. Again, thanks for your help.

No Events found!