Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2017 22:00

Will this GPU work for the XPS 8900

So I'm gonna buy a XPS 8900 but at the same time purchase a Asus strix GeForce GTX 980 ti overclocked,

Will it fit? Cause idk if the stock PSU will work with it or not. Thanks in Advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 05:00

That GPU requires upward of 200W -- you're going to be at the edge of what you can safely support, if not over it unless you upgrade the power supply.  You'll also need to check the connector requirements for the specific card you choose to make sure you have them.

While at it, carefully check the physical dimensions of the card you want to make sure it will fit - there are dozens of these, and they're not all the same size.

1.2K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 07:00

OEM 8900 PSU is not enough for a GTX 980ti

The asus strix 980ti has two 8 pin power connectors, which is rated up to 375W.

Tests showed peak power draw around 275W.

The Dell PSU can deliver up to 225W ( 75 W from the PCIe slot, and 75W for each six pin PCIe connector.

I don't know if it will fit in the case. I haven't followed that card closely enough.

Are you getting a terrific deal on the card? The reason I ask is the GTX 1070 will outperform the 980ti,

It too *should* get a new power supply, but it will run cooler, draw less power and have longer driver support.

No Events found!