Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2013 18:00

Win 7 message on Inspiron 530 "enable hardware-assisted virtualization in BIOS"

I just installed Win 7x64 pro.  One reason for going pro is so that I can run in XP mode.  When trying to install this feature I get the message that I need to "enable hardware-assisted virtualization in BIOS".  I can't find anything in my BIOS settings that looks like an option for this.

Granted I'm running an old version BIOS 1.0.10 but others in this forum report serious errors with 1.0.18 so I've been holding off until needed.  Also a June 2013 post stating that versions earlier than 1.0.18 are not available.

Any words on how to proceed, or whether my machine will ever be able to run XP mode with my new 7/64 pro OS? Or whether/which BIOS I should upgrade to and where to get it?

Thanks.

953 Posts

July 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi Lee Beck,

Please check the following articles:

Does my processor support Intel Virtualization Technology?

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Before installing Windows XP Mode, it is a must to have appropriate Hardware that supports Virtualization. Check the list mentioned in the link to ensure your computer meets the hardware requirements for virtualization.

Hope this helps.

79 Posts

July 10th, 2013 18:00

I've visited the first URL suggested and the list for my Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 Series Shows:

Supports Intel® VT-x = Yes

Supports Intel® EPT = No

I don't know EPT except for Early Pregnancy Test....  Is there a clue here that relates to my query?

Apparently my processor supports virtualization.  Prior to my first post here I downloaded and ran the  Hardware-assisted virtualization (HAV) detection tool from the site in the second URL.  That's where I got the message that I need to "enable hardware-assisted virtualization in BIOS".

That's where I am now - trying to figure out if my BIOS is properly configured for hardware-assisted virtualization.

Do I need to change my BIOS?  if so where?  Do I need to update my bios from 1.0.10?  If so, which one given that ver 18 appears to be problematic from other posts on this forum.

Thanks for your help.

953 Posts

July 11th, 2013 07:00

Hi Lee Beck,

I was under the impression you might have upgraded your computer so suggested to check for Hardware Compatibility. Now that your computer meets the requirements, follow the steps below to enable virtualization in BIOS:

1. After entering the BIOS screen Navigate to the “Advanced BIOS Features”.

2. Select “CPU Features” and press Enter.

3. Move down to the “Virtualization Technology” and hit Enter.

4. Here you can choose to Enable/Disable the feature.

Hope this helps.

79 Posts

July 12th, 2013 12:00

Thanks.  I did as you suggested and found virtualization technology enabled.  the info regarding that option is "When enabled a VMM can utilize the additional hardware capabilities provided by Vanderpool technologies".

Now, how do I install what is needed for my new Win 7 pro to run XP mode?

953 Posts

July 14th, 2013 09:00

Hi Lee Beck,

I would need a little clarification here as where you are receiving the message, "When enabled a VMM can utilize the additional hardware capabilities provided by Vanderpool technologies"?

If this option is activated in the BIOS, you do not need to install anything else for Windows XP Mode to work in Windows 7 Professional.

Please revert for clarification.

No Events found!