Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2007 18:00

Win 98 without mouse

My brother's Dimension runs Win 98, and recently started up with VERY low resolution, low colors, won't run software from its cd drive, has no sound, can't print, and, worst of all, no mouse. So it's pretty difficult to start trying to do a lot. I can get to the list of device drivers, and the mouse has a yellow ! mark, but I cannot figure out how to get into that list and go down and select the mouse driver, with no mouse.

Are there any keyboard commands to run Win 98 with NO mouse (as opposed to all the ones I've found, which are just for those who prefer keyboard, or have difficulty with it, but DO have a functioning mouse)?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Use the Windows key for the start menu or to shutdown, arrows key, tab key Alt+ highlighted letter and Enter to select. However, it sounds like you are having bigger problems than no mouse. Switch the mouse with the keyboard port PS2 with the computer turned off--they are interchangeable. You should run Dell Diagnostics at the first bootup screen. Check the Bios for the correct settings and to change the boot order if you can use the cd drive. Might be time for a new computer.

9 Posts

Thanks, those keyboard commands don't get me into the device driver list, believe me, I've tried them, and there are longer lists of keyboard commands at Microsoft and other sites, but they are all just designed for people who prefer not to use (but HAVE) a mouse. Shift-Tab was helpful in getting from one part of a menu to another, but how to get into a list like the one in device drivers is my current goal.

Obviously an new computer is a nice goal for those with the funds available. Also, in the event he can get a new computer, he still has files on the old one he would like to be sure to be able to transfer. We could probably do that without the mouse functioning, but it would be way faster with one.

Mary

9.4K Posts

March 31st, 2007 11:00

Mary, have you tried the Windows key +  Pause / Break key to open the System Properties window?  From there you can use the Tab and Arrow keys to navigate the tabs and item selection in Windows Device Manager. On any hardware listing that has a plus + sign, use the right arrow key to expand the hardware listing.  Then highlight that specific piece of hardware and press the Enter key to open up the hardware's  Properties box and then select the Driver tab.

From the way the system is running, a reinstall of the operating system maybe a better option.  The only problem is with Microsoft no longer actively support Win98, getting security patches and Windows update will be trouble-some.

9 Posts

April 14th, 2007 04:00

Thanks, I finally had a chance to try this. I had tried it before, but found that there was quite a delay after hitting the tab key before I did get into the list of devices (on my earlier attempts I didn't wait long enough).

I was then able to use arrow keys to go down to Mouse, where his mouse had the yellow ! mark, but when I press Enter, either on the Mouse category or on the specific mouse with the ! mark, the whole window just disappears.
No Events found!