Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2013 11:00

Win7 on Dell XPS8700

I just received my dell XPS 8700 (i7 4770, 16gb Ram, 2TB HD, nVidia GTX660 1.5gb). Windows8 is pre installed on it. I want to have Win 7 Home edition x64 or Win7 pro x64 on it. I called Dell support but they said they don't offer Win7 for XPS8700. 

Is there anyway to install Win7 64bit on my XPS 8700?

Thanks in advance.

1.5K Posts

July 26th, 2013 12:00

Hi aamirwasim,

Please share if your system is shipped with Windows 8 Home or Windows 8 Pro. If the system came installed with Windows 8 Home, then you will have to purchase Windows 7 and install it on your system as Microsoft does not provide downgrade rights from Windows 8 Home to Windows 7.

However, if the system came pre-installed with Windows 8 Pro, then you may proceed and follow the steps mentioned on the link http://dell.to/16jytLa to install Windows 7 Professional.

You may refer to the Microsoft Link http://dell.to/1brvI1b for more information on this.

8 Posts

July 26th, 2013 12:00

Win 8 is one of the best Operating System that Microsoft ever created in the history of Electronics .

Being a user of Win 8 , i want to suggest you to stick to it as it has some unique feature that Win 7 probably wont provide .

To understand it and learn the shortcuts please try the following link :

windows.microsoft.com/.../new-keyboard-shortcuts

Hopefully it will give help you a lot and you ll love this Operating system .

Still if you want to have the Win 7 only then you can contact the Customer Service and probably they will help you out to fix it .

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 26th, 2013 13:00

Try this--skip the Start screen and go directly to the Desktop by clicking on it. It is almost like windows 7. Use it as you would win 7. When the 8.1 update comes out in the final version, you can make the Desktop the first screen you see when you boot.

3 Posts

July 30th, 2013 08:00

Thanks for the reply. It's not the matter of best or worst OS or look and feel etc. I have some compatibility issues with some applications I was running fine on win7 and now having problems with Win8

1.5K Posts

July 30th, 2013 14:00

Hi aamirwasim,

Thank you for sharing the information. There are certain application which are not compatible with Windows 8. If there is any assistance that you need from my end, please let me know. I have already shared the details with you in regards to downgrade Windows 7.

Please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!