Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2015 13:00

Windows 10 FAIL on Brand New INSPIRON 3647

Upon receiving our new Inspiron 3647 with factory installed Windows 10, we booted up and completed the set-up sequence.  Used the computer with no problem for a couple of hours - uninstalled some trial software (ie: bloatware),  installed Webroot, Chrome and Adobe Reader, surfed the web, etc. and then shut down the computer for the night.  Come morning, it can't boot Windows 10.  I tried all the lesser repair options available before agreeing to let Windows 10 reinstall itself.  Very annoying because it means I have to reinstall/uninstall the programs mentioned above.  Windows 10 successfully reinstalls itself, I use the computer for a bit, install webroot and chrome again, then uninstall the trial version of McAffee, and upon reboot, Windows 10 cannot boot !  I reinstall Windows 10 again, and this time restart the computer without having made any changes to anything - surprise, Windows 10 can't boot.  So my kid starts high school with a D.O.A. computer.  Did I get a bad CPU, or is this a Windows 10 thing that will persist?  I am seriously considering returning this thing and buying a Mac.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2015 13:00

Two days, and no response?  Thanks a lot Dell.

11 Posts

September 11th, 2015 16:00

I, too, had a similar problem with a brand new XPS 8700. I was literally on the for hours on two days.  Windows was reinstalled three times. It turns out the whole problem was a Logitech webcam that did not have updated drivers. The computer had worked fine with the webcam connected until win 10 did an update.  So, be sure you have up to date drivers on all your hardware.  I could not believe something so little that had had worked great for a couple of weeks could cause such havoc with a computer.

3 Posts

September 11th, 2015 17:00

Wow, good to know.  I wish I could diagnose it that way.  The only hardware we attached to it were the Dell monitor it came with and the Dell mouse and Keyboard.  Everything came together and Windows was factory installed, not an update, so there was really nowhere for me to go but to return the whole thing.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 11th, 2015 20:00

Please keep in mind that this is a user-to-user forum and not the way to  contact Dell Tech Support.

Since this is a new PC you should contact Tech Support directly. You have 30 days from invoice date (not delivery date) to get software support for free.

No Events found!