Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

August 8th, 2008 14:00

Windows 2008 Hyper-V on Inspirion 530

Anyone successfully running Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V on the Inspirion 530?

I have the Intel Core(2) Quad CPU Q6600 - but Hyper-V thinks that it doesn't support VMX.

I updated the BIOS to 1.0.15 and ensured that Virtual Extensions are enabled... but no luck.

Is there a more updated BIOS that would ensure the Hyper-V recognizes the VMX BIOS of the I530?

19 Posts

May 19th, 2009 08:00

MBLOVE23:

Sorry nobody replied, I'm sure you've given up on this thread by now, since you posted it nearly 10 months ago.. There seems to be a conspiricy of silence on this issue by Dell.. First some facts: most of Intel's (and AMD's) current processors have the Virtual extensions, at least the Core2Duo/Quads do.. Since you have a Core2Quad, I'm betting it does.. The problem lies with Dell.. I read elsewhere where a question on this topic was escalated up to responsible management and the official stance was that home user systems (Inspiron etc) would not have the capability enabled, but on the other hand, corporate machines (Optiplex, Precision, etc) would.. In fact, the Optiplex 745/755 systems I have at work have that choice in the bios, however my personal laptop, a Vostro 1400, does not, and I know for a fact that the cpu in the Vostro and the Optiplex BOTH support the extensions. I had this fact slapped in my face when I installed the Win7RC on my Vostro, and tried to install the MS XP/Virtual PC virtual machine. I was told I didnt have the extensions, and of course, there is no way to turn them on the bios.. I'm gonna bet this is going to jump up and bite Dell really hard when Win7 is released, as I suspect a LOT of people are going to want to use that feature in Win7, and if they have a consumer Dell system, they are going to be out of luck... I also read where someone called Dell tier 1 support and was told it was turned off because with it on "your video card will burn up"... Oh how I love Dell tier 1 support... Just wanted to give you (and I'm sure many others, who are just now discovering this...) a heads up.... Just another reason to NEVER buy a Dell consumer machine... Optiplex's don't have this problem...

Dave

2 Posts

September 8th, 2012 15:00

Hi Dave,

I know that I am also replying very late on this topic, but I would like to thank you for taking the trouble to write this down. I have been experimenting with Xen Hypervisor and I was just about to boot up my guest OS when I found out that VMX is not supported on Inspirion 530 systems.

However, if anybody else is having this issue too, you might want to take a look at this: http://www.mikekohn.net/stuff/vmx_bootloader.php. According to the author, the program is able to force the system to use VMX. I discovered the website just now and I will keep you updated if it works.

Sam

No Events found!