I have downloaded & installed the upgrade from Windows 8 to 8.1. I can (now!) see this whole display/ Catalyst Control Centre is a known problem after upgrade to Windows 8.1 with AMD Radeon graphics.
On my pc I see the following:
- Device Manager
- New Intel HD graphics control panel in desktop tray
- On startup I receive following message: “Catalyst Control Centre: Host application has stopped working”.
What I have tried:
- Restarting pc
- Checked & installed all Windows updates
- Devices and Printers – my pc (“needs troubleshooting/ driver error”) – troubleshooting found the following problems (but Windows was unable to automatically correct them through “apply this fix”):
- I have found the following files on my pc (but not sure if they are drivers!):
- I have reviewed Microsoft forums but they typically refer users to the pc manufacturer!
Problem: I believe my problem is that Windows 8.1 was unable to find the driver for the AMD Radeon HD7650; identified it as a generic PnP monitor; added the Intel HD display adapter/ driver.
Proposed solution: I am guessing my solution is to find the driver for the AMD Radeon HD7650 & “update driver software” through the device manager!
[I have also seen the following quick/ easy solution, which I am unsure about: locate C:\Program Files\AMD\CCC2\Install - think you just double click on it?]
- Creating a conflict if I download the AMD Radeon driver whilst the Intel HD 4000 is still showing
- Causing a dreaded “blank screen” if I uninstall the Intel HD 4000 adapter first (I have read of many users experiencing this)
- am I right in my problem definition/ proposed solution?
- what order do I do things in to avoid “blank screen”?
- should I even have 2 display adapters (if not, do I need to uninstall the Intel one)?
- should I create a system restore point (I have never done this – any links as to how to do it appreciated)?
Many thanks for your help.
PC: Dell Inspiron One 2330 [all-in-one pc]
OS: Windows 8.1, 64-bit [note: I do not have any installation cds as pc came with Windows 8 pre-installed/ nor for the monitor]