Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2013 21:00

Windows 8 keeps crashing on new Dell XPS 8500

I bought a brand new Dell XPS 8500 back in January and really have had nothing but trouble with Windows 8 crashes. I am an experienced PC user and former PC programmer, so I consider myself a power user. I've tried all the logical steps but I can't seem to find the reason for the crashes, which have occurred, I'd estimate, about once a month, perhaps a little more frequently. In all cases the computer is in a state that requires a hard reset (the computer does not respond to Control-Alt-Del or any key combination). In all but one instance I have been able to restart my computer without any loss of data. In one case, however, I had no option but to restore from a backup. 

I have 64-bit Windows 8 with Service Pack 0 installed. Build number is 9200. Direct X 11. My XPS 8500 has 12 GB memory and an Intel i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz. I've upgraded my machine's BIO through the Dell site to version A10. I've run all the diagnostics that are part of the My Dell software package with no problems reported. I've added no hardware to the out-of-the-box base configuration except for a wireless Microsoft keyboard (Wireless Comfort Keyboard 1.0A) and a wireless Logitech mouse (M-RBQ124). 

The computer is always left powered on. In the beginning I would find it in a state where there was no video on either of the two Samsung monitors I have connected to it (there was no mouse cursor and two black screens). Though the PC and monitors had power my only option was a hard reset. Thinking it might be a power situation I modified the power settings to engage a screensaver but prevent the monitors from being shut off. Never the less, the other day when I cleared the screen saver I was met by a blank screen (though it had the same color as my Windows 8 theme). Again, no responsiveness and the machine only responded to a hard reset. 

At one point I saw this message on bootup: "No boot device available...SATA 0: Initiatilized, SATA 1: Initialized.." Despite the message, another reboot and the machine worked just fine. 

I have examined all the system logs, but can find no significant error messages. 

I have never had any difficulty with the computer while I am using it. This crash situation I am describing has only arisen when I come to device after a long period of idleness (like overnight). The computer is in a secured room and only available to me.

At this point I'm concerned that I may have bought a lemon. Do any of you have any suggestions for troubleshooting? Are there steps I can take to better home in on what part of Windows (if any) or the hardware is causing a problem?

I appreciate very much any suggestions. 

-- Robert 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 13th, 2013 22:00

I bought a used XPS 8500 motherboard on eBay, installed it in an aftermarket case with 3570K CPU and 8gb of G.SKILL DDR3 1600 and it's been rock stable and very fast. However, the OS is Windows 7 Professional and the BIOS is set to Legacy Boot.

Is Windows 7 an option? The XPS 8500 seems to have issues with UEFI, Secure Boot and Windows 8.

611 Posts

June 14th, 2013 18:00

I ran for months with Win 8 and UEFI with no problems but I never enables Secure Boot.

2 Posts

June 15th, 2013 12:00

Windows 7 is definitely an option (i can download the OS through MSDN), though it's aggravating as Windows 8 was the factory install. Not to be too nasty, but you pay extra for a Dell computer because you expect it to work.

Thanks for your reply.

611 Posts

June 15th, 2013 12:00

If WIndows 8 is crashing, either there is a hardware fault or software corruption.  Try re-installing Win 8 from the rescue disks you made.  My bet is the 7570 video driver.  Dell has a new one available.

June 9th, 2014 12:00

I am also dealing with this on my 8700.  It has been the most frustrating thing ever.  I create slide shows for weddings, funerals and graduations.  My busiest season is May.  I had my new computer all ready to go, spending hours installing my slides styles and backgrounds etc. At the beginning of what I call the hardest days of my slide show season windows 8.1 crashes taking two of my largest shows and four days of work with it!  I was forced to work on my old dell which is glitchy and hard to deal with at times... hence the reason for a new one.  It greatly affected my outcome of each show and slowed me down to where I had several nights without any sleep.

My frustration is that after hours of being on the phone with tech support and letting them take control of my computer it is still not resolved.  After another hour today they have decided to send me the disc to do a reinstall.  Which will take another couple of hours.  My other alternative was to have a refurbished hard drive installed in my new computer.  Then do the reboot.

Is it just me or should I have to go through all this?  It is now almost one month to the date of the crash.  I am almost out of mind with frustration and trying to stay reasonable in regard to the computer.  My greatest frustration is that there is not a customer service department to talk to about any of this.  My options are the sales, the techs or the legal dept.

My main concern is that I have read that 8.1 crashes again and again...how can I trust my computer with a show on it?  Can anyone help me that has also had this experience?

No Events found!