Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2010 18:00

Windows Media Player on Windows 7 won't play wmv file

When I click the wmv file it says Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the required video codec is not installed on your computer.   I have no problem playing this wmv file on my Windows XP computer.

4.6K Posts

February 13th, 2010 22:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

I don't know how it's happened, but obviously one or more files/codecs have become corrupted?

Try downloading/installing this Windows 7 Codec Pack, to see if it fixes the problem?

If it doesn't, try the Fix WMP Utility?

1 Message

July 3rd, 2012 08:00

The Codec pack suggested by TheRealFireblade has alot in it -- could resolve many situations --

but note:  it does not include the GoToMeeting codec ("G2M4" codec).... which I needed, to resolve this same problem.  

To download GoToMeeting codec, go to www.gotomeeting.com/codec

If that still doesn't get past the message, you might have a problem other than actually missing a codec, and you might try some of the approaches at:  

answers.microsoft.com/.../bb823460-44df-4e8d-ba2c-42ec0e111e5a

Summary of some of them:  

(1) you might run the System File Checker (SFC.exe), to check for integrity violations,

(2) try opening Windows Media Player (WMP) first, then opening the file from inside them

(3)  (if you're on a 64-bit machine, try running by double-clicking, both the 32-bit version in "Program Files(x86)" and the 64-bit version in "Program Files"),

(4) confirm that WMP is the file association for WMV files, by right-clicking your WMV, and selecting Open With,  

(5) audio device settings:  under Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound, select your audio device, and check for a "5.1" setting, and if you have one, change it to "stereo",

(6) speaker device settings:  check Tools\Options\Devices\Speakers\Properties\Speaker Properties\AdvancedPlayback\ Speakers /HP\Properties\Advanced\Default Format, and select "CD or DVD Quality".

Hope that helps!  

-- Doug

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 30th, 2012 07:00

Most Common missing Codec is DIVX and or DVD playback Codec, and or Windows Media 9 Series Codec.

Download: Codec Installation Package for Windows Media Player ...

www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=507

Warning

Use caution when installing codecs that you find on the Internet, particularly some of the free codec packs that claim to include codecs from a wide variety of companies or organizations. Incompatibilities are known to exist with some of the components in these codec packs that can cause serious playback issues in the Player and other players, lead to system corruption, and make it difficult for Microsoft Support to diagnose and troubleshoot playback issues. For these reasons, we strongly discourage you from installing these codec packs, and recommend that you remove them if you have installed them and you are having problems with the Player. Install only codecs, filters, or plug-ins from trusted, authorized sources, such as the website of the official supplier. Even then, use caution: some codec suppliers offer minimal customer support. Before installing any digital media components, set a system restore point. The restore point enables you to return to your original system configuration, if necessary.

Roxio CinePlayer DVD Decoder for Windows XP

www.roxio.com/enu/promotions/landing/windowsmedia/default.html

DivX Plus Software – Media player, video converter & codecs | DivX ...

www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus

Free software download that includes everything you need to play, convert, stream, organize and transfer DivX

No Events found!