Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

December 31st, 2012 11:00

Windows explorer has stopped working-even after reinstall

Hello

I have a studio xps8100, purchased around April 2010 in the UK.  Over the last 3 weeks, I have been getting the "Windows explorer has stopped working" error message frequently.  So far there is no pattern of occurrence for this, even occurring when I'm doing nothing with my PC.  I will post full details of the error message at the end of this post.

I've obviously done Internet searches, ran virus scans (AVG free was installed).

anyway, last night I decided the nuclear option-clean install of Windows 7.  Windows 7 was installed by the early hours of this morning.  Throughout today I've been doing numerous Windows and office 2010 updates-don't even have AVG free installed yet.  However, after some of these windows or office updates, the Windows explorer passed stopped working error has returned!

Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Explorer.EXE
  Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
  Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
  Fault Module Name: imapi2fs.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c6bf
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 0000000000024ad4
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 5fc4
  Additional Information 2: 5fc47aa28606ce4ac076f6260e71fd17
  Additional Information 3: 3e4f
  Additional Information 4: 3e4f9b60928e7d8ae4a87c1588dbbd0d

2 Intern

• 

20.1K Posts

December 31st, 2012 11:00

Run the Diagnostics and include the extended hard drive test. Installing another version Windows should not be done before testing all the hardware and trying a Repair.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 31st, 2012 13:00

For a true nuclear option, I suggest reinstalling Windows 7 from a generic install disc rather than a customized OEM one, followed by regenerating the master boot record.

It may well be that something the customized OEM Windows you are installing has some issue that is causing the crash.

If you want to try this route, let us know and we'll provide the details.

20 Posts

December 31st, 2012 20:00

Still struggling.  First reinstall had not wiped the drive but a second reInstall has!

Still have the issue though.

This problem only started 3 weeks ago.  Also, each reinstall appeared to fix the issue until I was nearly finished the windows update process--my system and win 7 disk date fom early 2010, thus I had many windows updates to install.

I only have the Dell oem disk and Dell diagnostics tests all passed.

Any ideas?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 31st, 2012 21:00

Download the generic Windows install disc ISO from Digital River and clean-install. Then use bootrec /FIXMBR to fix the master boot record. For that matter, maybe you should do that from the Recovery Console of the generic ISO before you clean-install.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 1st, 2013 03:00

The Dell Reinstallation DVD should be fine, if it is media made by Dell DataSafe then a Reinstallation DVD should be used or requested. All the Reinstallation DVD has is SLP activation and a couple of OEM logos otherwise it is identical to the retail media.

Ensure that all Microsoft Software with the latest Service Pack is installed before the system drivers. e.g. install Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Office 2010 with Service Pack 1, Visio 2010 with Service Pack 1, Internet Explorer 9, Microsoft Mathematics etc. before the drivers.

Please follow my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7/Windows Reinstallation Guide: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19480753.aspx Ensure that Service Pack 1 (if not included on the DVD is installed before the system drivers).

Ensure that Office 2010 with Service Pack 1 is installed (before the drivers). Get an Office 2010 with Service Pack 1 installer from here: http://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/18-office-2010-direct-download-links

Also when installing your Video Card Driver (I'm not sure what one you have) but get the driver direct from ATI or nVidea opposed to using the one on the Dell drivers and downloads page. Its possible that it is a video card update from Windows Update is causing the problem. A clean install using directly the latest driver could help. I would also recommend a full wipe of the system using DBAN before beginning the Windows installation as mentioned in Step 7a of A Clean Install of Windows 7. There may be some hidden Malware that AVG can't find and DBAN will be rid of it (a scan with Malwarebytes' AntiMalware might also be a good idea). http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2694911

For the other system drivers I would use the later version from the XPS 8300:

R284334 Intel H67 Chipset (should aloso contain the files for the H57 Chipset)

R284362 Intel AMT HECI Chipset

R284354 Intel Rapid Storage Technology

R282233 Broadcom BCM57788 LOM

R282239 Realtek ALC887 HD Audio

R281588 Card Reader

R283190 Bluetooth 365 if you have it

Also temporarily ditch AVG and use Microsoft Security Essentials as AVG could be causing the problem. Edit: you said you got the problems without AVG. What other security do you have and are you running any registry cleaning/optimisation programs (these should be avoided)?

In addition reseat your memory modules and graphics card. I had some freezing problems in the past when my graphics card was only so slightly loose. However if this only happens after updates I would assume that it is a software issue and not this.

17 Posts

September 9th, 2015 01:00

Cause
This issue can be caused due to any of the following issues:
You may be using an outdated or corrupted video driver
System files on your PC may be corrupt or mismatched with other files
You may have a Virus or Malware infection on your PC
Some applications or services running on your PC may be causing Windows Explorer to stop working

http://www.deskdecode.com/how-to-fix-windows-explorer-has-stopped-working/

No Events found!