Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2009 06:00

Worth to repair a 2 year old Dimension 9200

I've got my Dimension 9200 in Feb 2007. In the meantime I also added components to enable bluray movies:

• Q6600 4-core Processor 2,4GHz
  • ATI 4850 Display with 512 MB RAM
  • LG bluray/HD-DVD Combo drive

It runned perfect. But 4 Days ago the Dimension startet crashing periodically and it looks very like a HW-Problem:

• Sudden reboot or
  • Freezing with stumbled Screen or
  • Freezing with black Screen and
  • Power going away from USB Devices
  • FDD still running for a while
  • Fan keep running
  • After restart absolute no log entries - except that an unexpected stop happend (entry made at restartup time).

For me this is a motherboard-issue (all I could test is re-inserting the old processor again - no change).

Of course, support time was only 1 year.

I don't like to purchase just a new one: I was very satifyed with it an it's not yet "old" in any sense. I could not find out, if DELL would repair it paid. And I'm afraid they take a lot of money and don't solve the problem...

Does anyone has experience with letting a PC repair from DELL after supporttime has expired? Do they do this?

Is it a good idea to make a try putting another motherboard in the case and keep all the components? I will loose the VISTA license, right?

Oh man, this is so frustrating!

January 5th, 2009 06:00

I've got my Dimension 9200 in Feb 2007. In the meantime I also added components to enable bluray movies:

• Q6600 4-core Processor 2,4GHz
  • ATI 4850 Display with 512 MB RAM
  • LG bluray/HD-DVD Combo drive

It runned perfect. But 4 Days ago the Dimension startet crashing periodically and it looks very like a HW-Problem:

• Sudden reboot or
  • Freezing with stumbled Screen or
  • Freezing with black Screen and
  • Power going away from USB Devices
  • FDD still running for a while
  • Fan keep running
  • After restart absolute no log entries - except that an unexpected stop happend (entry made at restartup time).

For me this is a motherboard-issue (all I could test is re-inserting the old processor again - no change).

Of course, support time was only 1 year.

I don't like to purchase just a new one: I was very satifyed with it an it's not yet "old" in any sense. I could not find out, if DELL would repair it paid. And I'm afraid they take a lot of money and don't solve the problem...

Does anyone has experience with letting a PC repair from DELL after supporttime has expired? Do they do this?

Is it a good idea to make a try putting another motherboard in the case and keep all the components? I will loose the VISTA license, right?

Oh man, this is so frustrating!

Specifically what components did you add?  Power Supply, new CPU?

January 5th, 2009 07:00

As mentioned, I replaced the original processor with an Intel Q6600 4-core processor with 2,4 GHz (which was told me, is a compatible replacment). I don't know exactly the spec of the original processor, but it was an Intel with 2-core and 2,13 GHz or so. The replacement was necessary to have bluray (or HD-DVD) movies displayed smooth without stucking - when displaying a bluray movie, all 4 cores show used with about 80%...

And I replaced the videocard and one DVD-drive.

I kept the power supply.

This configuration I have runned for about 9 months perfect without any problem. I did not change anything except having the automatic update of windows doing it's job. The problems started suddenly, surprisingly from one day to the other.

Now I have usually crash-downs every 30-60 minutes. Once it runned for a day without but then startet again crashing periodically.

There is an option in Vista where you can automatically reboot when there is a stop.  Try to uncheck this setting, thus when it stops it will blue screen and hopefully show you the stop code.   From there you can begin narrowing your scope.  Is a memory dump being created?  Can be found on the C: root, with a .dmp extension.  Also check out this little app:  http://www.7byte.com/index.php?page=hotcpu

It will test your hardware and report back any issue.  It potentially sounds like an app/OS issue vice hardware based on you 9 months of no issue after the hardware upgrades.  Good luck.

* Go to system properties, Advance Tab, look for start-up/recovery section, option to restart should be there.

3 Posts

January 5th, 2009 07:00

As mentioned, I replaced the original processor with an Intel Q6600 4-core processor with 2,4 GHz (which was told me, is a compatible replacment). I don't know exactly the spec of the original processor, but it was an Intel with 2-core and 2,13 GHz or so. The replacement was necessary to have bluray (or HD-DVD) movies displayed smooth without stucking - when displaying a bluray movie, all 4 cores show used with about 80%...

And I replaced the videocard and one DVD-drive.

I kept the power supply.

This configuration I have runned for about 9 months perfect without any problem. I did not change anything except having the automatic update of windows doing it's job. The problems started suddenly, surprisingly from one day to the other.

Now I have usually crash-downs every 30-60 minutes. Once it runned for a day without but then startet again crashing periodically.

1.4K Posts

January 5th, 2009 14:00

For what Dell would charge to fix it you could probably buy a case, motherboard , psu and copy of Windows, then use the rest of the parts from the 9200 to build your own.

I'm seeing alot of these " after 2 years my D9200 is dead " posts, lost one of mine several weeks ago (2 years old ), blown caps on the motherboard.

Amazingly enough the one unit that is overclocked is not the one that died.

Found a D9200 mb on e-bay for $100 but decided it wasn't worth it.

Found a good deal on a case/psu combo ($49 clearance at BestBuy ) an oem copy of Windows ( $96 from Newegg ) and built myself another machine using a spare mb that I had lying around.

PS; the D9200 mb won't fit in a standard case.

2nd attempt

3 Posts

January 7th, 2009 14:00

Ich changed the setting for auto reboot - although I don't beliebe that these were "reboots" - when it happens, the system is away from one moment to the other. It's not kind ob "crash and reboot" - it's just "reboot".

There are also no dump files on the disk.

I tried that HotCPU Tester Tool and it says my PC is okay...

So I really mention to get a complete new case with board and PSU.

Is there really no way to reuse the Dell-OEM-Vista license? I know that the installation medium checks if "it" is a Dell if I have to reinstall it...

Is there a way to keep the RAID 0 logical drive alive for another board with another RAID-Controller??? Could this work?

No Events found!