eskymi
4 Germanium

Would this indicate a failed video card?

XPS 420, 8800 GTX, 3 gig RAM, 6600 Quad processor.

Recently my son had problems with the computer "freezing" during gaming.  He installed the NVIDIA monitor to see GPU temps thinking the card was overheating.  The highest the card got at the time of freeze up was around 74 C.  I didn't think this was too high.

Then last Thursday his monitor went dark.  The monitor flashes "auto detect digital signal" then it enters standby mode as if it is not receiving a signal from the video card.  I was able to boot the pc to windows one time yet after 2 or 3 minutes the screen went blank . I was again able to boot the pc into diagnostic mode and was run a diagnostic on the video card when the screen went blank and the only way to reset was to do a hard restart.

I swapped his Hard drive from his XPS with mine from my XPS so he would have a working computer (I figured it was easier than changing video cards).  I then went online and found a 9800GTX so I purchased that. 

I then started wondering if it is truly a video card problem.  I have powered up and the computer starts properly.  I hear one beep indicating it is going through post, but with no video display I can not determine what is really happening.  The Dell lights do not show any indication that the video card failed.  I don't get the 1 2 3 4 lights.   They cycle through like they always have.  The PSU fan runs and the PSU warms up after a minute or so, indicating it is working.  The video card fan runs, but we get no display, the processor fan is running indicating that it too is functioning. 

I am wondering if this sounds like a video card as there was no tearing or pixelating, rather it just quit.  What is your opinion?  Could it be something else and if so, what?  Could the motherboard have failed in some way or if that were the case would the computer just sit there?

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
eskymi
4 Germanium

Re: Would this indicate a failed video card?

UPDATE:  Installed the 9800GTX and computer booted and ran fine.  It was the video card.  I have just never seen them fail all at once with out errors or tearing or what have you.  Computer working fine now.

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

0 Kudos
Artloverell
2 Bronze

Re: Would this indicate a failed video card?

good to hear that youn are back up and running

that nvidia cards can go upto temperature of around 110c,

0 Kudos