Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2009 11:00

X-Fi ExtremeGamer, XPS 430, Win7 64bit Support?

I've been seeking on the boards for questions and answers about this subject.
Reading that the XPS 430 had issues (the issues consisted that the card didn't produce any sound and was incompatible to the OS) with the X-Fi ExtremeGame sound card I bought a computer based on the 32bit OS, but as all know we lose 1Gb of Ram due to the fact that the 32bit OS only supports 3Gb at maximum. So I have multiple questions about this subject. I wonder if this issue is actually fixed? If there were answers about, then I didn't do my seeking work as it should be done.

The other question is related to Win7 release as I will definitely switch to Win7 64bit OS through a clean installation when Dell offers Win7 in their online shop.

Now my question is, will this card have full support on such configuration? As the card number located on the card cannot be found on the official site of SoundBlaster because this seems to be a dell-only sound card, I was wondering if we will get support on the future upcoming Win7 OS

Kind Regards,

Val

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 27th, 2009 13:00

First, although a 32 bit OS cannot fully address 4GB, the actual amount you will see is usually between 3.2 to 3.5GB.  My homebuilt system shows 3.324GB of RAM with Vista 32bit.

What OS isn't the Xfi ExtremGamer compatible with?  This is the first I've seen this posted on the Desktop Audio section.  Also, from other posts here, the Retail SoundBlaster drivers work with the Dell Xfi sound cards.  There have been problems with some sound cards "screeching" and I don't think that has ever been fixed.

On my home built PC, I have Vista 32 bit on one hard drive, Vista 64 bit on another hard drive and Win7 (64bit) on a separate partition on the Vista64 bit system hard drive.  My SoundBlaster Audigy 2 is recognized and compatible with all 3 OS'.  Win 7 found and installed the driver for the audio, I didn't have to install, but the Vista 64 bit drivers are compatible with Win 7, 64 bit.   I have an ATI video card and the Vista drivers are compatible with Windows 7.

When Win 7 is released, you will be able to buy it through Dell, but it will only be the same Retail version you can buy anywhere else.  The only Dell OEM versions will be what is supplied with new PC's or in some cases PC's that were purchased with Vista and eligible for the free upgrade to Win 7.  But, this won't be backward compatible with PC's that are purchased now or have been previously purchased.

Which models Dell supports for Win 7, we will have to wait and see.  They will support some models but not all.  Keep in mind Dell is in the business of selling new computers, not making old computers compatible with new technologies and Operating Systems.  As retail Creative (SoundBlaster) drivers appear to work this shouldn't be an issue.  Again, if the PC you have is Vista 64 bit compatible, it will be Windows 7 compatible since Windows 7 is basically Vista with some modifications and in most cases the Vista 32 or 64 bit drivers will work for Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit, as applicable.  

2 Posts

May 28th, 2009 02:00

It should be the 64bit OS that isn't compatible with the X-Fi Extreme .

Well if my card is actually ExtremeGamer or ExtremeMusic ... I'm unable to find the real name of it over the internet and the papers only mention X-Fi Extreme.
So you're telling me that the X-Fi drivers delivered by Soundblaster are fully compatible to my soundcard. My question is, why can't I find the model: SB0770 in the list on Soundblasters website? I opened the case as I do every 3months to clean up dust in, and the soundcard mentiones model: SB0770 (printed on the Si-alloyed of the card)
Since I'm confused and unable to figure out if it is an ExtremeGamer or ExtremeMusic. This XPS 430 model has been bought in January with the ATI 3870 X2

EDIT:
When you seek the code over the internet you see people saying it is an Xtreme Gamer but my card doesn't match with the image of the XtremeGamer on Soundblasters website. It rather matches the ExtremeMusic soundcard. Which confuses me a lot. Digging even more into the issues I manage to find this: http://www.creative.com/oem/resources/SoundCards/SB077x.pdf  . This pdf includes the data from that soundcard and it seems that it has 128 voices and as the website from Soundblaster mentions that the ExtremeAudio only has 64 voices. I take my conclusions that this is a ExtremeGamer card.

Thank you for your fast reply fireberd!

Kind regards,

Val

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 28th, 2009 04:00

The Dell model SoundBlaster sound cards, are custom OEM models made only for Dell so they will have a different part or model number than the Retail versions.  We saw this on previous SoundBlaster models that Dell provided as custom OEM models - in one model Dell had front panel mic and headset jack capabillity with a special connector that the Retail versions did not have. 

The only SoundBlaster download in the Dell downloads for this model is the Xfi XtremeGamer model, so unless you got some special model, that is the model you have.

As Dell uses a lot of custom OEM hardware, including motherboards and CPU cooling fans, you can't compare their hardware to Retail versions.  e.g. many of the Dell motherboards are made by Foxconn for Dell but there is no comparison to a Retail Foxconn motherboard (or the Intel motherboards made by Foxconn).   The Dell situation is different than some other PC vendors that use "OEM" version hardware but they are really the same as the Retail versions.  I had a Gateway desktop and it was all "standard" hardware items including the SoundBlaster sound card.  I do part-time PC support and the last two HP desktops that I worked on both had ASUS power supplies and motherboards. 

No Events found!