Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 7th, 2010 12:00

X-Fi ExtremeGamer and Windows 64-bit

I just upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit on by XPS 710.  The computer has trouble recognizing the X-Fi ExtremeGamer card.  Through some persistence using the drivers and programs available from Creative Labs, I was able to get the computer to recognize the card.  Now, the sound does not work properly.  I largely get static, large pops or nothing at all.  I've already tried deleting the drivers and installing the "current" Windows 7 driver from Creative Labs.  Current used losely since the driver is dated June, 2009. 

The Downloads file here at Dell does not list any Windows 7 drivers for my system.  Suggestions?

3.7K Posts

April 12th, 2010 12:00

Hi THINK38, To get my X-FI Xtreme gamer card to work, I had to run the compatability mode, and run it in XP mode, because the 64 bit Win 7 did not see the card on  my system when the creative software scanned my system..

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 7th, 2010 13:00

There have been a lot of problems in Windows 7 with a lot of the SoundBlaster sound cards, especially the PCI model Xfi's.  The newer PCIe Xfi models seem to be doing better.

Dell has Vista 64 bit drivers, which should work OK in Win 7 64 bit, except for the SoundBlaster driver issue.

There were posts, back when Win 7 came out, of users installing the Win 7 Beta driver on the Creative Site and that seemed to work OK.   There have also been users that gave up on the SoundBlaster and removed it and enabled the Integrated audio in the BIOS, installed drivers and used that.  The Vista 64 bit SigmaTel drivers should work without problems.  Dell Downloads

19 Posts

April 7th, 2010 21:00

The Creative Labs website does not have any indication of a beta driver for Gamer card.  Too bad.  I'm really surprised at their lack of support  -does bode well for any future purchase of a Creative Lab product by me.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 8th, 2010 04:00

You can try the "Daniel K" drivers, they are frequently mentioned on the Windows 7 forum (and some other forums).  HERE is a link to the Xfi series drivers.

There is no guarantee that these will fix the problems, set a System Restore point before installing them in case they mess things up, with the System Restore you can fall back to where you were before installing them.

Keep in mind Creative (SoundBlaster) is in the business of selling new equipment, just as Dell is in the business of selling new PC's (there are no Dell Windows 7 drivers for your model).  The "older' Xfi models, such as you have, have been discontinued and the reason for limited Win 7 support.  The current Xfi "fatal1ty" line, such as the one I have, are fully supported in Windows 7.

19 Posts

April 12th, 2010 11:00

The "Daniel K" drivers did not solve my problem.  I was able to find an interim solution by limiting RAM access to 3GB.  Of course, one of the reasons for upgrading to Windows 7 x64 was to get around the 3Gb limitation of x32. 

While I do understand that both Dell and Creative Labs are in the business of selling hardware, I do not have a sympathetic view of Creative Labs.  My "older" card was sold as OEM less than two years ago, and currently continues to sell at retail.  Creative Labs continues to list the card as a current product.  Moreover, Creative Labs claims the card is certified as compliant for Windows 7 x64.  

If I do not find a permanent solution soon, I will upgrade the card.  The upgrade card will not be produced by Creative Labs. 

1.1K Posts

April 18th, 2010 10:00

Hello,

I installed the X-Fi Xtreme Music 2.18.0013 from Creative site for my Win 7 x64 Ultimate on the 3rd March 2010 and sound works perfectly.

What is yours?: yours X-Fi Xtreme Gamer?

Under Creative web site I find the driver V is 2.18.0013 -same for Creative Sound Blaster X-Xtreme Music and Gamer.

Regards

19 Posts

April 20th, 2010 11:00

I use the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer card.  Using the same drivers you are. 

Creative Labs tells me they are aware of the problem and provides the assurances that they have forwarded this on to the proper department.  Sigh.

650 Posts

April 20th, 2010 12:00

For those of you who don't know, this is old news. The Creative cards don't work well with the nForce chipset of the XPS 730 and lower. NVIDIA claims it's the fault of Creative and they say the same thing about NVIDIA.

Bottom line is this; get used to having issues or upgrade to an X58 chipset.  I had NOTHING but problems in my XPS 710 and the XPS 730 with Creative sound cards but when I purchased a 730x, the problems disappeared.

No Events found!