Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 21st, 2008 19:00

X-Fi Screech of Death

If you have this issue, I need the following sent to me in a private message -

* Service tag number:
* Operating System:
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)?
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)?
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)?
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)?
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:
* Possible workarounds?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-21-2008 03:29 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

475 Posts

June 21st, 2008 19:00

DELL-Chris_M wrote:

If you have this issue, I need the following sent to me in a private message -

* Service tag number:
* Operating System:
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)?
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)?
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)?
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)?
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:
* Possible workarounds?

Why is this information requested "out of Forum"? I think all of those looking for answers for this question should be able to see the answers. Especially when Dell takes so long to get back to us. Those of us in this forum may come up with a solution "LONG" before Dell Lawyers allow a release, if we have the same information to assimilate! Or at least before we pass to the afterlife.

I don't understand the "cloak and Dagger" approach as we are all here seeking a solution to something Dell has seemingly known as an issue for quite some time. We paid a lot of money for our systems, when is the last time Dell got that kind of "Ching" from Mushrooms?????????????????????????? ok enough punctuation.  ? lol.

Sean

P.s. I've sent you a couple PM's... You don't reply.  Am I on A Dell ignore this $1800 customer list?

Message Edited by shdbcamping1 on 06-21-2008 04:53 PM
Message Edited by shdbcamping1 on 06-21-2008 04:54 PM

June 21st, 2008 23:00

I to get the SOD so I removed my sound card which strangely solved the problem :-) Unfortunately after playing games for around 30-60 mins the sound disappears still. Only way to get it back is reboot. All drivers up to date and this happened when the only updates being made to me PC where by Vista.

ps I have Bose companion 5 attached instead of sound card at the moment.

Message Edited by Tusken Legion on 06-21-2008 07:18 PM

258 Posts

June 22nd, 2008 00:00

I had the SoD when I first got my 420 in Nov - would happen randomly, even if I was just playing chess.  The screech would appear for 4-5 seconds and then the sound only would freeze for about a minute or two.  Then the sound would return to normal.  After updating the BIOS, upgrading to SP1 and other normal updates the SoD disappeared and hasn't come back for the last 3 months.

I think the problem is a driver conflict and disappeared as drivers and other files on my system were changed and/or updated.

1.7K Posts

June 22nd, 2008 02:00

Screech Righ out of the Box on 2 XPS 720's , screech happens at any time,  even with a Factory restore just letting pc run Screech , system drivers software all upto date. uninstall X-FI card no screech , on board audio no screech , tried an Auzentech , Auzen X-Meridian no screech. Tried all known drivers Dells and Creatives Screech with Dell X-fi.  system response to 4 or 5 second of very loud screech screech , PC freezes   , lose all audio , then audio repappears except left front channel in my logitech 5.1 speakers , some distortion on other speaker channels , reboot fixes audio till next screech then we start all over again . If i remember correctly Some Of Us Dell Screech Owners were asked months ago to send Chris_M our system info , so now we do it all over again and Wait , Wait, and  Wait........ and we never ever got a response i believe.

To solve My Screeching Dell XPS 720 i bought a HP-Blackbird , The XPS 720 sits in a corner never used till to night after reading this thread , guess what . screech after 2 mins of booting the XPS 720 .

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 06-21-2008 10:47 PM

1 Message

June 22nd, 2008 15:00

* Service tag number: Private
* Operating System: Vista Ultimate 64
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives) version 6.0.1.1283
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)? Y
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)? Y
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)? N
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)? NA
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs: It occurs sometimes while surfing on the internet and listening music
* Possible workarounds? I also want to know this, because it is verry irritating

Message Edited by r2l on 06-22-2008 06:38 PM

563 Posts

June 22nd, 2008 16:00

* Service tag number: sent in PM
* Operating System: Vista Ultimate (Retail)
* X-Fi driver versions tested: Creative 6.0.1.1281
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)? Yes
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)? No. The system shipped with A03.
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)? No.
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)? Not applicable on this system due to single video card setup.
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs: Randomly. Most often occurs when clicking on something in while browsing the internet.
* Possible workarounds? Only fix I have found is to close the window that I am currently using when the SOD occurs.

632 Posts

June 22nd, 2008 22:00

Service tag number: Private
* Operating System: Vista Home Premium 32
* X-Fi driver versions tested: Latest Creative web site driver (not beta)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)? Y
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)? Y
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)? N
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs: Playing chess titans, using Skype, using IE

* Possible workarounds? Tried many suggestions here and on Creative site

Have the SOD very infrequently now but it is still around lurking on rare occasions.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 23rd, 2008 02:00

Results so far...

* 35 customers

* PCs reporting issue = Inspiron 530, XPS 630, XPS 420, XPS 700, XPS 710, XPS 720, XPS 730

* Card =
33 Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D) (the top two found here)
2 Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (D) (bottom one found in same picture)

* Drivers = Dell and Creative

* Operating System = XP, XPMCE, Vista Home, Vista Ultimate

* OOB (out of box) with issue = All
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-23-2008 07:59 AM

114 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 08:00

@Dell-Chris_M:

I´m one of those 35 costumers, but i got the card at the bottom in the picture you linked to, i think it´s called xtreme audio?

I think you as an admin can see my service tag under my profile.

Marcus

44 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 12:00

Have PMed you my service tag / info.

Just a message to keep me 'in the loop'.

Regards,

Gabhan 

41 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 14:00

* Service tag number: Private
* Operating System:Vista Home Premium 32
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)version 6.0.1.1283
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)? Yes
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)? No A04
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)? No
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:It occurs sometimes while surfing on the internet and listening music
* Possible workarounds? Close the window or lower the volume.

Nvidia GeForce 8800GT
640 GB Raid 0 HD's

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D)
ATI Theater 650 TV Tuner
19 in 1 Memory card reader w/Bluetooth
Vista Premium SP1
Samsung 24" 2493HM LCD
Nvidia GeForce 8800GT
320 GB HD
19 in 1 Memory card reader w/Bluetooth
Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
Dell 22" 2208WFP Ultra Sharp

Message Edited by trojandan on 06-23-2008 10:45 AM
Message Edited by trojandan on 06-26-2008 05:23 PM

258 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 16:00

My card is the same as the bottom one in the picture - but the invoice calls it the X-Fi XtremeMusic card - it has a model number SB0770 printed on the card.

418 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 18:00

@Anonymous-Chris_M wrote:
Results so far...

* 35 customers

* PCs reporting issue = Inspiron 530, XPS 630, XPS 420, XPS 700, XPS 710, XPS 720, XPS 730

* Card =
33 Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D) (the top two found here)
2 Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (D) (bottom one found in same picture)

* Drivers = Dell and Creative

* Operating System = XP, XPMCE, Vista Home, Vista Ultimate

* OOB (out of box) with issue = All
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-23-2008 07:59 AM

This is what is so confusing.  On my paperwork when I purchased my XPS 720 it was listed as the XtremeMusic (D).  On the card itself it is listed as an SB0770.  The card I have is the one pictured on the bottom.  Nothing makes any since.

Back in 07 this is what Chris said my SoundCard was when I first started asking what I had.

WW202 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D)

Message Edited by Garred on 06-23-2008 06:54 PM

258 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 19:00

It would be interesting to know the model number of the 35 cards reported as problems thusfar... I wouldn't be surprised if all or most of them were the SB0770 - regardless of the card name on the invoice or the model of the PC purchased.

Oddly, when I search Dell's "Drivers and Downloads" page for my service tag number, there are two audio updates available to me - both of them are for the XtremeGamer card - my invoice says I have the XtremeMusic card.  Apparently, even Dell's program that identifies available updates doesn't recognize what card goes with my PC.  I haven't tried to use these updates - don't know if they would work.

Message Edited by jronesi on 06-23-2008 03:55 PM

258 Posts

June 24th, 2008 12:00

As I said earlier - my sound card is the one on the bottom of the picture - and it has model number SB0770 printed on it.  The invoice has it listed as item no. 313-5834 "Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music." 

When I ordered and configured my XPS420 online in early December - this card was the only audio card option available.  The PC was being marketed as the "XPS Studio 420" with the full Adobe sound/video/photo package.  That's probably why the invoice and the web site called it the XtremeMusic card.  It was being promoted as a studio rig rather than a gaming rig.

Message Edited by jronesi on 06-24-2008 08:49 AM
No Events found!