Item 313-5450 X-FI PCI Sound Card, part number NJ941.
Service tag **Private**
* Operating System: Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit
* X-Fi driver versions tested: Creative 22.214.171.1243
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)? Yes
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)? No. The system shipped with A06.
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)? No.
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)? Yes, same problem.
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs: Randomly. Occurs when gaming or clicking on something in Internet surfing.
* Possible workarounds? Only fix I have found is to close the window that I am currently using when the SOD occurs and reboot.
The only updates that I have completed are through Microsoft Windows.
I guess I must have the same sound card as jronesi.
All this time (6 months) I have been under the mistaken impression that I had the extreme music card because that is what I ordered and that is what the invoice says. But I do have the card as pictured at the bottom with the two black optical connectors so extreme gamer it is.
I assume that this card is better or at least the equal of the extreme music card (I honestly do not know) but it would have been nice to have been informed of the change at the time of order and delivery. I have been looking for drivers for the extreme music card also on the Dell site and eventually gave up and went to the Creative site and installed the driver listed for extreme music (and it was the same driver for extreme gamer if I remember correctly).
You learn something new every day.
What were you doing when it screeched? Do you have the volume level set at 50% or is it defaulted at 67%?
The lower volume supposedly helps eliminate and reduce the SOD according to Creative personnel.