X-Fi Screech of Death

Just FYI. 

Pardon me if someone has already reported the following in this thread because I've not read all 48 messages.

I guess you know that if you leave your BlackBerry within a few feet of your PC then the speakers will emit a screech when the BlackBerry periodically checks for messages.  I don't know if this applies to other email communication devices.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Gabhan
2 Iron

Re: X-Fi Screech of Death

Different sort of screech - this is more like a 'System overload' sort of screech - with an abrupt collapse in sound at the end - not at all 'interference' like.

Regards,

Gabhan 

0 Kudos
Utemetsu
2 Iron

I am also experiencing this problem. Im running XP Media Center (havent had the courage to go vista), One of the two X-Fi Cards, the Extreme gamer, and dual NVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra's SLI. I I get it when I play games, and have noticed no similar time lapse between crashes, the volume level or anything. I'm curious (and I have read the entire thread) whether or not any of you have made any progress you would care to sum up, specifically fixes. I would really rather not have to take out the card; I paid for it and would like to use it.

also, Justin, the interference is indeed coming from your blackberry, and yes, it does happen  with all mobile communication devices (any cell phone/PDA). (In fact, I noticed interference with my older CRT monitor when I used it if my cell was underneath). The "Screech of Death" is a sudden, high-pitch tone that emits from the speakers and is usually accompanied by a complete system lockup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rquired
2 Iron

When my x-fi screeches the sound often disables, but it seldom crashes. But to get sound again i have to reboot. But another thing my x-fi does is ,when playing for ex music, it sends all signals (bass, center, front, back etc) to one speaker, for ex the rear right one.

That´s a noice you don´t wanna hear 😉 So now my speakers are mostly off because i don´t wont to break them. Any one else with this problem?

Marcus

0 Kudos
Utemetsu
2 Iron

Alright, So I updated to the 2.15 drivers from Creative. I am going to see whats going on. So far, I havent gotten the SOD but I havent done any hard-core gaming on it.

We'll soon see...

0 Kudos
Kilmerj
2 Iron

@Utemetsu wrote:

I am also experiencing this problem. Im running XP Media Center (havent had the courage to go vista), One of the two X-Fi Cards, the Extreme gamer, and dual NVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra's SLI. I I get it when I play games, and have noticed no similar time lapse between crashes, the volume level or anything. I'm curious (and I have read the entire thread) whether or not any of you have made any progress you would care to sum up, specifically fixes. I would really rather not have to take out the card; I paid for it and would like to use it.

Just for S&G's try disabling SLI from the Nvidia control panel. Humor me on this one because I'm having some issues similar to you and I'm running basically the same hardware. My problems disappear as soon as I disable SLI.

John

Message Edited by Kilmerj on 06-26-2008 02:53 PM
0 Kudos
wakeupj
1 Copper

I too disabled SLI and the cracking noises have stopped.

0 Kudos
Tusken Legion
1 Copper

I had the SoD and I removed the X-FI card - It didn't change a thing. So I changed my Video Card drivers - that made the screech go away. Then I enabled SLI and its back! Just disabled SLI so I will let you know if thats fixes it again.
0 Kudos
ham77
2 Iron

I just tried to install Vista 64bit a few days ago and I had a sound card issue. I have the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D). Its not a screech but just messed up sound. I am running Vista 32bit and was running XP Pro 32bit with no issues. With Vista 64bit I tried disabling SLI and it fixed it for a few minutes. It has to be a driver issue. I was told that it had something to do with having 4GB of ram installed. I will try installing with just 2GB and adding the other 2GB after doing all updates.
0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

Unless your Vista 64 has SP1 in it already You must remove 2 gigs. Im am surprised it even installed.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos