Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 21st, 2008 19:00

X-Fi Screech of Death

If you have this issue, I need the following sent to me in a private message -

* Service tag number:
* Operating System:
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)?
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)?
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)?
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)?
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:
* Possible workarounds?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-21-2008 03:29 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

June 24th, 2008 20:00

Not sure if it matters, but mine is in "entertainment mode"

241 Posts

June 24th, 2008 21:00

100%, its just done it for the third time tonight.  Uptime is currently4 hours 27 minutes. We have also shifed the speaker configuration round one speaker again :)

241 Posts

June 24th, 2008 21:00

Make that the 5th time now :(

Intresting on my 5.1 setup after 4-5 screeches it goes back to normal without any adjusting :). Just noticed I turned the speakers up which ain't a good idea when it screeches. 

For those interested I will be following up the issue with Dell UK on Thursday/Friday morning after my abandoned support call :(.

Message Edited by paulbeattie87 on 06-24-2008 11:35 PM

1.7K Posts

June 24th, 2008 23:00

Driver version does not matter , if u have screech u have screech , i have screech with all drivers ive tried Dells or Creatives , ive tried every known driver  . im using creative driver version 2.15.0006

258 Posts

I'm wondering what driver version folks are using in this card.  According to Device Manager, mine is 6.0.1.1283 - dated 2/21/2008.  This driver originated through Microsoft update.

44 Posts

Mine hadn't screeched in 2 days - until tonight. I wasn't even doing anything with the PC at the time. There was no sound being played at all, the screensaver was on, I was on the phone and off it went. Have tried changing to 24bit sound (can find no 18bit setting) and turned the volume on the card down, and the volume on my speakers up slightly. Interested to see how long before it recurrs this time.

Gabhan 

418 Posts

June 25th, 2008 03:00

I thought this was kind of funny that everyone experienced a SOD tonight as did I.  I was backing up digital photos to DVD when it occured.

155 Posts

June 25th, 2008 09:00

You folks may want to head to this post for some possible clarification to the X-Fi XtremeMusic vs X-Fi XtremeGamer confusion.

258 Posts

June 25th, 2008 11:00

@Toronto699 wrote:

Driver version does not matter , if u have screech u have screech , i have screech with all drivers ive tried Dells or Creatives , ive tried every known driver  . im using creative driver version 2.15.0006

Perhaps the driver version doesn't matter - all I know is that since I switched to this driver in February I haven't had the SoD.  Maybe I've just been lucky - maybe it was because of another change I made to my system - maybe the gods decided that since I was already having problems with my Media Card Reader and crab grass that I should catch a break.  Quo Vadis?

June 25th, 2008 13:00

Just FYI. 

Pardon me if someone has already reported the following in this thread because I've not read all 48 messages.

I guess you know that if you leave your BlackBerry within a few feet of your PC then the speakers will emit a screech when the BlackBerry periodically checks for messages.  I don't know if this applies to other email communication devices.

Regards.

44 Posts

June 25th, 2008 13:00

Different sort of screech - this is more like a 'System overload' sort of screech - with an abrupt collapse in sound at the end - not at all 'interference' like.

Regards,

Gabhan 

43 Posts

June 25th, 2008 15:00

I am also experiencing this problem. Im running XP Media Center (havent had the courage to go vista), One of the two X-Fi Cards, the Extreme gamer, and dual NVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra's SLI. I I get it when I play games, and have noticed no similar time lapse between crashes, the volume level or anything. I'm curious (and I have read the entire thread) whether or not any of you have made any progress you would care to sum up, specifically fixes. I would really rather not have to take out the card; I paid for it and would like to use it.

also, Justin, the interference is indeed coming from your blackberry, and yes, it does happen  with all mobile communication devices (any cell phone/PDA). (In fact, I noticed interference with my older CRT monitor when I used it if my cell was underneath). The "Screech of Death" is a sudden, high-pitch tone that emits from the speakers and is usually accompanied by a complete system lockup.

114 Posts

June 25th, 2008 16:00

When my x-fi screeches the sound often disables, but it seldom crashes. But to get sound again i have to reboot. But another thing my x-fi does is ,when playing for ex music, it sends all signals (bass, center, front, back etc) to one speaker, for ex the rear right one.

That´s a noice you don´t wanna hear ;) So now my speakers are mostly off because i don´t wont to break them. Any one else with this problem?

Marcus

43 Posts

June 26th, 2008 14:00

Alright, So I updated to the 2.15 drivers from Creative. I am going to see whats going on. So far, I havent gotten the SOD but I havent done any hard-core gaming on it.

We'll soon see...

90 Posts

June 26th, 2008 18:00

@Utemetsu wrote:

I am also experiencing this problem. Im running XP Media Center (havent had the courage to go vista), One of the two X-Fi Cards, the Extreme gamer, and dual NVidia GeForce 8800 Ultra's SLI. I I get it when I play games, and have noticed no similar time lapse between crashes, the volume level or anything. I'm curious (and I have read the entire thread) whether or not any of you have made any progress you would care to sum up, specifically fixes. I would really rather not have to take out the card; I paid for it and would like to use it.

Just for S&G's try disabling SLI from the Nvidia control panel. Humor me on this one because I'm having some issues similar to you and I'm running basically the same hardware. My problems disappear as soon as I disable SLI.

John

Message Edited by Kilmerj on 06-26-2008 02:53 PM
No Events found!