Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 21st, 2008 19:00

X-Fi Screech of Death

If you have this issue, I need the following sent to me in a private message -

* Service tag number:
* Operating System:
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)?
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)?
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)?
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)?
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:
* Possible workarounds?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-21-2008 03:29 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

12 Posts

June 27th, 2008 01:00

I too disabled SLI and the cracking noises have stopped.

June 27th, 2008 07:00

I had the SoD and I removed the X-FI card - It didn't change a thing. So I changed my Video Card drivers - that made the screech go away. Then I enabled SLI and its back! Just disabled SLI so I will let you know if thats fixes it again.

52 Posts

June 27th, 2008 14:00

I just tried to install Vista 64bit a few days ago and I had a sound card issue. I have the Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic (D). Its not a screech but just messed up sound. I am running Vista 32bit and was running XP Pro 32bit with no issues. With Vista 64bit I tried disabling SLI and it fixed it for a few minutes. It has to be a driver issue. I was told that it had something to do with having 4GB of ram installed. I will try installing with just 2GB and adding the other 2GB after doing all updates.

14.4K Posts

June 27th, 2008 15:00

Unless your Vista 64 has SP1 in it already You must remove 2 gigs. Im am surprised it even installed.

155 Posts

June 27th, 2008 16:00

For those that think I'm on these forums to just bash Dell and get a "free" upgrade out of them here ya go.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the X-Fi screech of death is not something new nor is it a fault of Dell, as I've pointed out before.  There are a lot of X-fi card users out there that have been experiencing this problem for years, forum posts go back to August of 2006.  Sadly, Creative Labs have been unable to find a definitive fix for the problem. The following is a snip from the Creative Labs forum.

the PCI bus data requests are not being serviced leading to "gaps" in the audio, resulting in sudden dropouts to no audio and back again which gives rise to what is perceived as crackling.

Check the full thread and post here.  There is also another similar thread here.  It seems that for some motherboards a BIOS update can fix the problem but has not been a universal solution.  Maybe some users here and folks from Dell should post over on the Creative Labs forum or maybe Dell engineers can talk to Creative engineers, if they aren't already, to see if a meeting of the minds could help find a resolution.  I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear and I'm sorry for the bad news but maybe this can help get a fix sooner.:smileysad:

52 Posts

June 27th, 2008 16:00

With out SP1, Vista 64bit installs fine. I just have this sound issue. I will try taking 2GB out installing SP1 then reinstalling the 2GB. I hope it will work, just need to get the sound to work.
Message Edited by ham77 on 06-27-2008 12:10 PM

114 Posts

June 27th, 2008 17:00

I will welcome any solution for the x-fi problems and im definently not out here just to bash Dell. Same thing with all the other issues, don´t care if it´s Dell, Nvidia or creative etc that´s responsible for the fault, if they just fix it.

The problem i´m blaming Dell for is poor custumer care, leaving costumers with a faulty computer for a long period saying "there will be a fix soon", and some of them can´t get a refund after those magical 21 days. And techs that don´t know what their doing, i argued with one for half an hour about if there´s connectors for 7.1 audio at the back of my 630 or not, and then he said he would go and check which model was the 630!

Marcus

155 Posts

June 27th, 2008 18:00

Rquired,

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding about my post.  I wasn't say the people in this thread are bashing Dell.  I was referring to what others have indirectly implied regarding some of my other posts.  I'm sure there are many that feel all I'm out to do is bash on Dell.  I am in fact here to try and help others, if I can, as well as find a resolution to the issues at hand.  I apologize if you took it otherwise.

114 Posts

June 27th, 2008 18:00

@Drange:

Sure, i´m here for the same reasons as you are help people and get helped.

But i didn´t missunderstood your post, i was just trying to vent my view at the story. As i wrote i don´t care hows fault this is, i´m just happy for all parts if someone finds a solution. And if there´s others that think you´re bashing on Dell, just ignore them ;)

So I apologize if you felt my post as a comment directed for you, cuz that´s not what i thought.

Marcus

241 Posts

June 27th, 2008 22:00

@ Drange, you have made an excellent point their. Have to agree with everything you said.

Will phone Dell next week and see whats happening, its been a while since I heard from them last.

43 Posts

June 28th, 2008 04:00

I have installed the creative 2.15 drivers from their website, downloaded and installed. That was three days ago.....I have yet to recieve the SoD wven while I game!

I suggest you all try this. And yes, we all understand that this is not at the fault of Dell directly, only that they packaged our systems with cards that have been faulty since 2006 (not bashing, I actually like my system).....

Message Edited by Utemetsu on 06-28-2008 12:31 AM

52 Posts

June 28th, 2008 09:00

OK, I installed Vista 64bit on my XPS 710 with 2GB then updated, then installed the other 2GB. It has seemed to have worked. I have the sound card in the middle of the picture that  DELL_Chris M put up on page 2. 

Thanks and if anything pops up I'll let you know.

Message Edited by ham77 on 06-28-2008 05:04 AM

June 28th, 2008 15:00

Disabled SLI - No SLI no porblem its seems

June 28th, 2008 18:00

I too have the SOD, I have an XPS 420, when I bought the system the paper work said I have the X-FI Xtreme music sound card. I checked the pictures that Chris posted, I have the bottom picture, which according to Chris is Xtreme gamer? My SOD was right out of the box problem. I called Dell and they thought it was my speakers (i have the A525 2.1 with subwoofer). They sent me replacement speakers that did not change anything. I should also mention I thought I was hearing crackling sounds coming from the speakers. Called Dell again and they once again sent me another set of speakers, and again still SOD. So I called again this time they sent me a replacement sound card, still I get the SOD. Nothing works as a solution. I also, if my memory serves correctly  downloaded the Xtreme gamer driver on the request of one of the Dell tech's recommendation. That did not work either. I'm confused Dell sent out wrong cards then installed the wrong software for that card? The CD that came with the computer says (Sound Blaster X-fi ) nothing about music or gamer. Is this generic software for both cards?

I have Vista

Dells sound card

Problem out of box

Bios A04

SOD occurs whenever it wants to.

I didn't do anything to PCI/SLI

XPS 420

Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 GHz

3GB RAM

500 GB Hard drive

512 MB Nvidia 8800GT

Chris don't be offended but I did not send you a private message with my tag #, simply because I don't think it will make a difference. If there is a solution to this problem then everbody has the right to know what that solution is.

632 Posts

June 28th, 2008 21:00

Spinningcircles,

Try downloading and installing the latest (non-beta) driver from the Creative website. Use Driver Sweeper to clear out all old Creative entries.

The driver works for almost all X-Fi cards. You do indeed have the Extreme gamer card and not the Extreme music card.  I too thought I had the the extreme music card for the longest time on my XPS 420 but recently found it it is the gamer. The new driver will help reduce or eliminate your SOD for most situations.

If you have dual video cards try disabling SLI.

Message Edited by joecapp on 06-28-2008 05:45 PM
No Events found!