joecapp
3 Zinc

Re: X-Fi Screech of Death

Spinningcircles,

Try downloading and installing the latest (non-beta) driver from the Creative website. Use Driver Sweeper to clear out all old Creative entries.

The driver works for almost all X-Fi cards. You do indeed have the Extreme gamer card and not the Extreme music card.  I too thought I had the the extreme music card for the longest time on my XPS 420 but recently found it it is the gamer. The new driver will help reduce or eliminate your SOD for most situations.

If you have dual video cards try disabling SLI.

Message Edited by joecapp on 06-28-2008 05:45 PM
0 Kudos
ham77
2 Iron

Well I got the SOD and a BSOD so I am back to Vista 32bit. My first problem came when I installed Steam for some of my games. The install went bad. Then Vista was telling me that my sound card was causing problems so it needed to turn off its enhancements. After that I ran a full virus scan and the sound massed up. Shuttering real bad. Tried reinstalling the drivers with no luck. Thats when I got the BSOD. I think its SLI and the 4GB with 64bit Vista. I guess I cant go 64bit with this Dell pc.
0 Kudos

Has anyone solved this issue yet?

Which driver should I have installed for my system? If I go to the Dell drivers support page on the web, there are NO xifi drivers for an XPS730 - the only drivers I have are the ones supplied on the CD when I bought the computer in May 2008.

Is it safe to follow the link posted in this forum and install the xifi driver on an xps730 even though the dell support page does not list it?

0 Kudos
Utemetsu
2 Iron

Ok, Im not sure if this work for anyone, or, for that matter, how well it is working for me. HOWEVER...I downloaded the latest Creative drivers (2.15) and I havent had the SOD in about a week since. While I'm wary of jynxing the whole thing, I do believe that it has solved my problems. You can get the latest Creative drivers here http://support.creative.com/Downloads/welcome.aspx ---Its the Creative 2.15 drivers. Hopes this helps!
0 Kudos

Utemetsu,

So you are using the March 2, 2008 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Driver 2.15.0006 driver and do not have the SOD.

Has anyone tested the June 2, 2008 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series Beta 2.18.0000 driver?
0 Kudos
Toronto699
4 Beryllium

Chris_M the Creative  Sound Blaster X-FI  beta 2.18.0000 will not install on the Dell Branded Xtremegamer , no supported audio device found. i still have screech with the creative 2.15.0006 or any known driver ive tried . screech my disappear for a short while but always returns . and get worse {more often } when it does come back after installing different  drivers.  the Creative driver 2.15.0004 will not install either on the Dell Xtremegamer same error "no supported audio device found"
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 06-30-2008 01:03 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 06-30-2008 01:05 PM
0 Kudos

Toronto699,

Thanks. I was going to try that when I went home.
0 Kudos
Rquired
2 Iron

Maybe this has something to do with the X-fi SOD?

This is how my machine sounds while playing any sound, except directly after reseting in creative console launcher: http://cid-0c299fb836333537.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Offentlig/L001.WAV

Marcus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rquired
2 Iron

Hmm, after testing for a while: with the new 2.15.0006 driver, and with "X-FI CMSS 3D" deactivated it´s get´s better. Both the problem in my previous post and the SOD.

But insted i get another SOD, and the computers sound crashes and i have to reboot to get sound. Seems to me like the CMSS has something to do with the SOD. The SOD II sounds more like a radio not tuned in propely and is over after a second or two.

Could anyone else please try to disable CMSS and see what happens?

And does anyone got proper sound with creative console launcher in 5.1 mode?

Marcus

0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

CMSS is disabled on mine permanently as it made my output sound weird with voices in the wrong places.. I also have the card set in 5.1 output but still the screech continues!
0 Kudos