Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 21st, 2008 19:00

X-Fi Screech of Death

If you have this issue, I need the following sent to me in a private message -

* Service tag number:
* Operating System:
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)?
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)?
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)?
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)?
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:
* Possible workarounds?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-21-2008 03:29 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

418 Posts

July 4th, 2008 16:00

I am happy to report I haven't had a SOD for the last couple of days.  I still have however that cracking and popping going on and it has increased in frequency.

43 Posts

July 7th, 2008 12:00

From what I have been able to glean from the situation is that this is a DRIVER issue rather than a hardware issue. While I still do get the SoD, It has been cut quite a bit from the 2.15 drivers that I downloaded. If only Creative can completely fix the problem with their new drivers that they will (hopefully) be releasing....

44 Posts

July 7th, 2008 13:00

The bigger worry is if the Creative drivers will work with the Dell Franken-cards that we have. Although previous Creative drivers did work, the current Beta driver they have on release do not. So we may be waiting for Dell to fix this, regardless of whether Creative do or not. Will Creative pass on any solutions to the Dell developers, and how long will it take to get us a fix thereafter?

BTW - I agree, the 2.15 drivers are the most stable, and if I keep the volume low in Control Panel, and higher on my speakers themselves, I can sometimes go a couple of days without encountering a SOD.

Regards,

Gabhan

241 Posts

July 8th, 2008 21:00

Just got back onto my XPS 420 having been using my laptop for the past few days. Been listening to some music tonight and as expected the SoD arrived but having fixed it the sound quality is shocking! Its very tinny, lots of bass and crackly.

This situation is totally unacceptable. 

44 Posts

July 9th, 2008 19:00

At least the speakers are OK. You had me (more) worried there...

Still - isn't a Dell recall the only option for anyone who bought a Creative X-Fi card and Vista OS with their Dell system?

44 Posts

Now you have me worried. I was turning up the volume on my speakers and lowering the control panel volume in Vista to minimise the number of SODs I was getting. Now I am wondering if that's a bad plan. If my speaker volume is high, and there is an SOD, I'm probably much more likely to blow the guts out of the speakers!!

Surely Dell can get a hold of the Beta driver Creative are testing and release it for the Dell Franken-cards (as a Beta - or plead with Creative to open the Beta to Dell cards). Anything is better than blown speakers!!! Or Dell need to issue an immediate recall of all X-Fi cards and replace them with a non-Creative equivalent that is tested with Vista and has similar features / price. If this were any other industry that is what would have to happen - especially if the sound card is blowing speakers..

241 Posts

Thankfully the speakers are fine its the audio being output by the X-Fi has a lot of static. I sent a unresolved complaints form to Dell UK yesterday evening which states to expect a reply within 1 business day. So far 1 business day has passed.

Dell don't seem intrested in dealing with the issue with really doesn't surprise me.  My dealings with the first screech I had with the computer wasn't the best. 

What else can I do to get Dell to fix the problem.

43 Posts

I hate to break it to you Paul, but my guess is that SoD blew your speakers. If thats the only sound that you can get from your speakers as the sound, then they are definately blown.

Im gonna cross my fingers and hope for a Creative solution to all of this >.<

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Creative has learned from Dell that some of the XPS users are complaining about some squeeching noise heard from the X-Fi sound cards. Creative is not able to reproduce the issue on the XPS 420 system that they borrowed from Dell. To further investigate this -

a) Creative will send the users a (beta) driver package to test on their Dell XPS system.
b) This beta driver would generate a text log, which we hope users will then send back to Creative for further analysis.
c) And, if it is deemed needed, Creative would get in touch with the users for further investigation/discussion.

So, send me the following information in a private message if you want to join in the discussion with Creative:
Name:
Shipping address:
Phone:
Service tag number:
Reason:
Sound card - XtremeMusic or XtremeGamer:
Driver version tested:
Operating System:

1.7K Posts

July 9th, 2008 20:00

Dell or creative can come pick up my Screecing XPS 720 , anytime. as its screeches more the a 3 or 4 times a day.. or  Dell could search for the screeching XPS 720 i returned 6 months ago .

241 Posts

@Toronto699 wrote:
further note on creative drivers  according to the Mods at the creative soundblaster forum there will be new drivers released before the end of augest. and the beta 2.18.0000 on the creative website will not install on my xps 720 vista xtremegamer pc. further reading on the Mods comments at the  creative soundblaster forum , the mods say any screech static , noise issues have been closed for the past 2 years.  
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-09-2008 04:34 PM

Looks like you got the same research as me, it only happens on Dell soundcards. I have a friend with a XtremeGamer who has no issues no matter how long the computer is on for. 5-6 hours and the sound is not useable on mine.

1.7K Posts

further note on creative drivers  according to the Mods at the creative soundblaster forum there will be new drivers released before the end of augest. and the beta 2.18.0000 on the creative website will not install on my xps 720 vista xtremegamer pc. further reading on the Mods comments at the  creative soundblaster forum , the mods say any screech static , noise issues have been closed for the past 2 years.  
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-09-2008 04:34 PM

1.7K Posts

Paulbeattie  , i have an HP Blackbird with a X-FI Pro sound card . no screech . as for my XPS 720 . the Dell Xtremegramer screeches at any given moment . ive tried a Auzentech X-Merdian in the 720 no screech  and have installed an Asus Xoner DX2 sound card in XPS 720 no screech . to tell u the truth im feed up with Dell, my last conversation with dell tech support about the issue  was this  , Tech support   will send me  XP Disk to install and a different sound card for XP . Dell support said i  could have a dual boot machine XP and new dell card for audio  and vista if i did not need audio.    and keep the vista Xtremegamer card  that came with XPS 720 , one further note no screech with the onboard audio on my XPS 720.
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-09-2008 05:12 PM

241 Posts

Press the start button and type "device manager". Click Ok on the UAC window which appears and up pops Device manager.

In the list double click on sound,video and game controllers, in the second list which appears right click on the Creative SB X-Fi and select properties. In the next window that opens click the "driver" tab at the top and the version will be displayed.

114 Posts

My fantastic litle sreech: http://cid-0c299fb836333537.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Offentlig/L001.WAV

That´s how my computer sounds, dell havn´t been able to fix it for 8 months!

No Events found!