Rquired
2 Iron

Re: X-Fi Screech of Death

My fantastic litle sreech: http://cid-0c299fb836333537.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Offentlig/L001.WAV

That´s how my computer sounds, dell havn´t been able to fix it for 8 months!

0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

Press the start button and type "device manager". Click Ok on the UAC window which appears and up pops Device manager.

In the list double click on sound,video and game controllers, in the second list which appears right click on the Creative SB X-Fi and select properties. In the next window that opens click the "driver" tab at the top and the version will be displayed.

0 Kudos
Toronto699
4 Beryllium

Paulbeattie  , i have an HP Blackbird with a X-FI Pro sound card . no screech . as for my XPS 720 . the Dell Xtremegramer screeches at any given moment . ive tried a Auzentech X-Merdian in the 720 no screech  and have installed an Asus Xoner DX2 sound card in XPS 720 no screech . to tell u the truth im feed up with Dell, my last conversation with dell tech support about the issue  was this  , Tech support   will send me  XP Disk to install and a different sound card for XP . Dell support said i  could have a dual boot machine XP and new dell card for audio  and vista if i did not need audio.    and keep the vista Xtremegamer card  that came with XPS 720 , one further note no screech with the onboard audio on my XPS 720.
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 07-09-2008 05:12 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

I couldn't put up with that for 8 months, at the very latest Dell have until the 31st of this month to find a solution and fix my problem. If not they can get the computer back on a matter of principal for the shocking customer service.

As happy as I am with this computer apart from the soundcard I am more than prepared to buy a new hard drive as even 1TB ones are cheap now and backup all my data and settings and send it back to Dell. The computer is faulty and clearly Dell don't know how to fix it. I will have had it 6 months at the end of August at which point the sales of goods act says I have to prove the computer was faulty when I bought it, currently Dell have to provide it was not faulty when it was sold to me.

Message Edited by paulbeattie87 on 07-09-2008 11:36 PM
0 Kudos
Gabhan
2 Iron

Until this issue is resolved once and for all, couldn't Dell / Creative between them, allow users to swap their OEM Franken-cards for non-OEM boxed original Creative cards - with Dell picking up the tab. At least this way we are in the same boat as every other Creative user - given that none of them say they have experienced this screech in 2 years. As soon as Dell come up with a fix, they can call off future swaps. But as a solution, I think this would be acceptable to most?
0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

That's a great suggestion Gabhan, with my dealings with Dell this seems unlikely.

I really liked this computer but I listen to something most of the time when I'm using the computer whether its music or spoken word the soundcard is generally in use. That is why for me this problem cannot go on.

0 Kudos
Rquired
2 Iron

All my attempts to replace any of the parts in the computer to a different one has resolved in nothing. Ofcourse im allowed to buy my own and put in, but why should i do this when i bought and paid for the product as complete?

i´ve also offered them to put different parts in the computer as a test, share my ideas with a engineer etc, but even this resolves in nothing.

I´m convinced that something in the 630 (MOBO?) doesn´t fit properly, either it´s the device itself or it´s the driver. But Dell sticks to the 630s current spec despite some costumers has replaced parts with positive results.

0 Kudos

change your graphics drivers - stopped my screech completely!! hasnt occured since (1.5months ago)

xps730

8800GT x 2

4GB

vista 32 

xifi xtreme gamer

0 Kudos
Gabhan
2 Iron

I did change my graphics driver (nVidia 8800GT) to version 7.15.11.7519 about 24 hours ago, and haven't heard a screech yet - but that wasn't unusual - I was only getting about one a day. My PC is on 24x7 as I work from home. As soon as I hear a screech I will post a message. I had taken remedial action to lower my control panel volume (45%), but I will increase that again (80%) just to see if the graphics driver has had any effect. Would be interesting if the two were linked...

0 Kudos
paulbeattie87
3 Argentium

I will have a look at changing the drivers and see if it changes anything. My system is running with the latest nVidia drivers from windows update.
0 Kudos