Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 21st, 2008 19:00

X-Fi Screech of Death

If you have this issue, I need the following sent to me in a private message -

* Service tag number:
* Operating System:
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)?
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)?
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)?
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)?
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:
* Possible workarounds?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-21-2008 03:29 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

241 Posts

July 9th, 2008 20:00

Chris thanks for the reply, I will send you the details shortly.

I for one cannot believe Creative never found a problem, in that case I want Dell to delver a brand new XPS 420 to me since this one is ovbiously faulty. 

Being honest with you Chris, I have spent enough time on the phone to various support technicians, on forums reading others stories that I am at the point where I feel like requesting a new 420 each time it screeches until I get one which doesn't. Yours is the first reply I have had from anybody at Dell in nearly 3 weeks, that in itself is shocking. I see even today Dell fail to take a unresolved support request seriously. 

I know you cant talk about legal proceedings against Dell on these forums , so far I have went through everything I can with Dell and its now at the point where getting legal is the only way to get a resolution. Ignoring emails and support requests is no way to treat customers. I'm still waiting for a response to several emails I sent in early March. Thats 4 months ago.

If theirs one thing that really irritates me its big companies like Dell thinking they can treat customers like something they stepped in. I cant and wont tolerate it. Sorry but this is the final straw.

How can I find out which driver version I have?

241 Posts

I couldn't put up with that for 8 months, at the very latest Dell have until the 31st of this month to find a solution and fix my problem. If not they can get the computer back on a matter of principal for the shocking customer service.

As happy as I am with this computer apart from the soundcard I am more than prepared to buy a new hard drive as even 1TB ones are cheap now and backup all my data and settings and send it back to Dell. The computer is faulty and clearly Dell don't know how to fix it. I will have had it 6 months at the end of August at which point the sales of goods act says I have to prove the computer was faulty when I bought it, currently Dell have to provide it was not faulty when it was sold to me.

Message Edited by paulbeattie87 on 07-09-2008 11:36 PM

241 Posts

July 9th, 2008 22:00

That's a great suggestion Gabhan, with my dealings with Dell this seems unlikely.

I really liked this computer but I listen to something most of the time when I'm using the computer whether its music or spoken word the soundcard is generally in use. That is why for me this problem cannot go on.

44 Posts

July 9th, 2008 22:00

Until this issue is resolved once and for all, couldn't Dell / Creative between them, allow users to swap their OEM Franken-cards for non-OEM boxed original Creative cards - with Dell picking up the tab. At least this way we are in the same boat as every other Creative user - given that none of them say they have experienced this screech in 2 years. As soon as Dell come up with a fix, they can call off future swaps. But as a solution, I think this would be acceptable to most?

114 Posts

July 9th, 2008 23:00

All my attempts to replace any of the parts in the computer to a different one has resolved in nothing. Ofcourse im allowed to buy my own and put in, but why should i do this when i bought and paid for the product as complete?

i´ve also offered them to put different parts in the computer as a test, share my ideas with a engineer etc, but even this resolves in nothing.

I´m convinced that something in the 630 (MOBO?) doesn´t fit properly, either it´s the device itself or it´s the driver. But Dell sticks to the 630s current spec despite some costumers has replaced parts with positive results.

105 Posts

July 10th, 2008 01:00

change your graphics drivers - stopped my screech completely!! hasnt occured since (1.5months ago)

xps730

8800GT x 2

4GB

vista 32 

xifi xtreme gamer

44 Posts

July 10th, 2008 07:00

I did change my graphics driver (nVidia 8800GT) to version 7.15.11.7519 about 24 hours ago, and haven't heard a screech yet - but that wasn't unusual - I was only getting about one a day. My PC is on 24x7 as I work from home. As soon as I hear a screech I will post a message. I had taken remedial action to lower my control panel volume (45%), but I will increase that again (80%) just to see if the graphics driver has had any effect. Would be interesting if the two were linked...

241 Posts

July 10th, 2008 09:00

I will have a look at changing the drivers and see if it changes anything. My system is running with the latest nVidia drivers from windows update.

105 Posts

July 10th, 2008 10:00

I found that I had to use the dell graphics drivers, the nvidia 8800 drivers (from nvidia website) caused the screech of death but the dell ones have completely fixed it for me :)

the latest dell 175.19 driver works really well too....

44 Posts

July 10th, 2008 12:00

This is the same release (Dell 175.19) as the latest one on the nVidia website, and I haven't heard an SOD yet since I installed it - although it is still early days... Fingers crossed :smileywink:

81 Posts

July 10th, 2008 13:00

@wakarimashta wrote:

change your graphics drivers - stopped my screech completely!! hasnt occured since (1.5months ago)

xps730

8800GT x 2

4GB

vista 32 

xifi xtreme gamer

I updated all of my NVIDIA drivers for motherboard and graphics and this has created a new problem on top of the SOD. Now when I shutdown, my XPS 720 initiates the process all of my peripherals shut down but my computer will not. It just idles on and I have to continually press the power button for it to shut off. Here is the message I get from Microsoft errors:

Follow these steps to troubleshoot problems with NVIDIA Graphics Driver

This problem was caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver, which was created by NVIDIA Corporation. Currently, there is no solution for the problem that you reported.

Troubleshooting

The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the problem from recurring.

1. Go online to Windows Update to check for an updated version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver:

Click to open Windows Update in Control Panel

2. If there are no updated drivers listed on the Windows Update website, go online to the following website to check for an updated driver:

NVIDIA Corporation

Note: If you are currently running the latest version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver and still experience the problem, we recommend that you contact NVIDIA Corporation for additional information and support.

3. If NVIDIA Graphics Driver was preinstalled on your computer, you might also want to check the computer manufacturer's website for an updated version.

Okay, anyone have any suggestions to resolving this problem along with the SOD? This is beyond cumbersome. :(

14.4K Posts

July 10th, 2008 13:00

what order did you update in? if you updated the chipset after any other that could be the issue. I would try to reinstall the video driver again and see what happens

43 Posts

July 10th, 2008 14:00

Chris, I am intrested in sending you the information to recieve these beta drivers, however, As I have noted in a previous post, I have tried the beta drivers currently available on Creative's website and I think the term "Beta" doesnt even begin to explain the amount of sound issues they have. While In the (VERY) short time I had them (thats under a day mind you) I never experinced the SoD, Sound quality took a huge hit and made most of my games unplayable and music unlistenable. If they are not these nasty 2.18 drivers I'm game to solve this problem, otherwise, I'll stick with the 2.15.

81 Posts

July 10th, 2008 14:00

Davet50, yeah tried that. I also unistalled all of them and used Driver Cleaner Pro and reinstalled older drivers but still have the same problem. :smileysad:

Now what to do?

Message Edited by khaught on 07-10-2008 10:23 AM
No Events found!