Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 21st, 2008 19:00

X-Fi Screech of Death

If you have this issue, I need the following sent to me in a private message -

* Service tag number:
* Operating System:
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)?
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)?
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)?
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)?
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:
* Possible workarounds?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-21-2008 03:29 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

1.7K Posts

September 15th, 2008 14:00

paulbeattie , i did the same , i replaced my screeching XPS 720 with a HP-Voodoo Blackbird

1.7K Posts

September 15th, 2008 15:00

Gabhan , i installed an Asus Xonar card in the XPS 720 , it works wonderful. i gave the XPS 720 to my daughter , Ive decide to forsake Dell , because of this on going Screech issue thats never been resolved by Dell, Even XPS 730 owns have Screech or static issues , Dell is in Denial of an audio problem , since the XPS 400. i upgraded to a HP-Voodoo BlackBird PC  

44 Posts

The latest version of the YouP-PAX drivers are holding steady for me at the moment - the very occasional screech - every few days (7 hours today with iTunes and no screech at all). The latest version (V6.10) supports the OEM card so it's worth a go - for anyone struggling...

Just to say that I have found turning the volume up high causes me problems...

And flash content on websites is almost guaranteed to cause a screech eventually...

The big question is how DELL seem to think this is acceptable in a high-end machine!!! I mean - if your car cut out for 5 minutes at least once a day, you'd be back to the manufacturer - and there'd be a total recall of all of that model to sort out the problem. But Dell's attitude seems to be "Hah - we got your money - and we really don't care anymore".

52 Posts

I got the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro at best buy for $90 to replace the OEM card because I thought the problem might be the OEM X-Fi Xtrememusic card. Maybe its the X-fi. I bought Vista retail so I could use 64bit OS but this XPS 710 has issuse when it comes to the sound cards 4GB of ram SLI and X-fi. My Sound Blaster Audigy sounded great in 64bit but recording from mic or "WhatUHear" gave me a really bad stutter on play back. Once I took out 2GB just to see if that worked. Yes it worked but why have 64bit OS just to use 2GB of ram. 4GB gives me a score of 5.1, 2GB I get 4.6 in Vista. I don't think its just a driver issue but it could be fixed with a better driver update. I also have a 1000Watt PSU so I don't think its a power issue. 

HP Voodoo BlackBird looks good and the Alienware ALX looks to be my next rig.

1.7K Posts

September 15th, 2008 16:00

I hope all with screech or audio issues have taken note , there has been no reply from a Dell represntitive on this Screeching Audio isuue in quite awhile. in this thread or other threads.  Not even recent posts by New XPS 730 owmers, That says Much in  my books. Dell Simpley Do Not Care , as there is No Solution.
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 09-15-2008 12:47 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 09-15-2008 12:48 PM

52 Posts

I did find this on alienware.com

Question  

Why I am not able to use the 5.1 audio feature of my Creative X-Fi Sound Card on my MJ-12 8550i or MJ-12 8550a workstation equipped with 4GB or more of system RAM?

Answer

A. Switch to the RealTek High Definition Integrated Audio Device

B: Edit the Boot.ini file

This method will let you use the 5.1 audio feature on the Creative X-Fi sound card, however, it will also limit the amount of memory available for Windows to only 2.75GB.

Thank you for your inquiry,

"The Alienware Technical Support Team"

and this...

Important Notice for Creative X-Fi Owners

If your system is configured with a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card, you will not be able to record audio or hear audio sources through your speakers or headset when you connect a microphone to your system’s front-panel microphone input.  This is due to a hardware technical limitation.

To record audio and hear audio sources through your speakers or headphones, connect your microphone or headset to your system’s rear microphone input.

Owners of the Creative X-Fi Elite Pro sound card can connect their microphones to the included break-out box.

Thank you for your inquiry,

The Alienware Technical Support Team

Remember  Alienware and DELL are the same now. DELL bought Alienware.

1.7K Posts

shdbcamping1 ,

I have been in contact with  Chris_M  for 9 months now about the Screeching X-FI Dell Branded OEM Sound Card and with a representative of Creative {Boon Wah WU} as Dell and Creative are engadged with this issue , There is Simply no Solution or Fix . Never will be in my opinion.  Many other Dell owns have engadged Chris_M with this isuue. Promises are made , No Solution. Simpley.

52 Posts

I think you are right but I don't want to give up yet.

513 Posts

Unfortunately this problem exists with all X-Fi cards, whether Dell OEM or retail, and the problem occurs on all MoBos, not just on nVidia chipset based MoBos. Thus it is more a Creative issue than a Dell issue. Even with this being the case it would be great if Dell could solve the issue Dell probably still sells systems with these cards as many consumers perceive them as being the best soundcards.

475 Posts

All,

I have plenty of Issues with Dell. My post was only to afford an option (and a Maybe) to hopefully get something working for y'all. Not proposing anything with the post. If however, someone tries it and it works... Great for those that find it a prerequisite. Sorry if it offended anyone. I look at it this way... If my car is in a ditch, and I really need my car, I'm gonna git a tow truck and tow it out! I'll deal 'wif da 'surance company later, BUT I'll have my car. Sorry again.

Sean

1.7K Posts

What really made a sad Day with Screech was, A 5 year old playing a simple childs game on my XPS 720 , then it happened , SCREECH, The Child Ran in FEAR AND TEARS Thinking  , She Had Broken The Expensive PC. After many hours of trying to Expain to the Child it was not her fault. Till This Day After the Screech Brought Fear and Tears to a 5 year Old , she still is apprehensive while  using the XPS 720.   and still runs away today when Screech  suddenly appears

I WILL REMEMBER THIS TEARFULL DAY FOREVER , DELL 

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 09-15-2008 12:36 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 09-15-2008 12:42 PM

1.7K Posts

shdbcamping1

no offence taken, im rather much peeved at the sound issues , as it has made a 5 year old scared ,  in tears and fear, and still does. It has been years this issue has gone on.  many have spent countless hours on this Screeching issue . most give up. Dell Wins We Lose . A 5 year old is in Fear and Has Tears.

Message Edited by Toronto699 on 09-15-2008 12:56 PM
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 09-15-2008 11:57 PM

1.7K Posts

ham77 is there an Alienware user or tech support forum . i wonder if  Alienware have X-FI sound issues as well. My HP-Voodoo Blackbird does not.

52 Posts

I plan on testing this issue by using one video card ( not sli) and just 2GB of ram. Installing Vista 64bit with all updates and newest drivers. Then installing the other 2GB after 24hours of testing and restarting. I think its a motherboard plus memory issue.

475 Posts

All,

I'm not trying to make excuses, but has anyone tried the regular PCI audigy (1 or 2) cards. They are dirt cheap and they may get you up and running for the recording thing, if it's a must thing for you. Cheap investment til it all gets sorted out. If it works, PM Chris_M so he can see what can be done.

Sean

P.S. It was great card for sound even on my old DIM8200.  I'll try porting mine over to this 420 when I get a chance (no promises on soon tho). My 420 came with onboard audio cause I have the old card. I don't do much recording so it wasn't a hurry.

No Events found!