ElkWapiti
3 Zinc

Re: X-Fi Screech of Death

This issue is easy to avoid, just use the on-board audio. 

Another alternative is to buy a non-creative card.  These are inexpensive consumer cards and it does not take much to replace them.

0 Kudos
acs9000
2 Bronze

@Toronto699 wrote:
paulbeattie , i did the same , i replaced my screeching XPS 720 with a HP-Voodoo Blackbird

Toronto699 - mind posting the specs for your Blackbird - I'm thinking of going the same route...
0 Kudos
Toronto699
4 Beryllium

asc9000

when i have time later in the day ill post my Birds specs, please chech the forums here , if u live in USA u may be able to buy a Blackbird at a retail store . HP has a few things comming up for Blaclbirds . its a wonderfull machine and the tech support is awesome. i did a Blackbird tech support test a little while ago. WOW no hassles , in fact give the tech support a call they would love to hear from u even if u do not have a Bird .free call  

http://www.thenextbench.com/hpg/blog?blog.id=hpblog

0 Kudos
acs9000
2 Bronze

Thx Toronto699 - I appreciate it!  Also, I'm curious whether you went Nvidia or ATI for your GPUs.  Apparently the Blackbird uses the Nvidia chipset for the mobo, but, has a workaround for using ATI cards that doesn't *cough* nerf *cough* their performance.
0 Kudos
ham77
2 Iron

So far with a fresh install of Vista 64bit the sound works. I can not configure it to 5.1. 5.1 gives me the screech. Installing Vista updates now. What a wast this has been. 5.1 is why I got this sound card. Its a driver issue. Can't blame Dell for what Creative will not fix.

0 Kudos
ham77
2 Iron

After a 200MB update did a restart and the screech came back. Now going back to 32bit. It works in 32bit so I guess I won't be on 64bit till my next rig. Money is tight right now so it could be years before I can get a $4K PC again.

I recommend Acronis True Image Home for backing up everything. I am restoring now. Later 64bit.

0 Kudos
ElkWapiti
3 Zinc

Have you tried the on-board sound? I appreciate wanting to be able to use the soundcard, but would not like to give up on a 64-bit OS.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ham77
2 Iron

The onboard audio can't compare to the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro sound card 5.1 sound and options. Whatever the issue is with the x-fi drivers I want it fixed. I can't believe a sound card driver is the only thing stopping me from using a 64bit OS.
0 Kudos
ElkWapiti
3 Zinc

I had not noted you have the Pro (even though it is in your sig). This is indeed a step up. My speculation is that it is not the drivers, but rather something in the card's hardware. Regardless, understandable that you would like it to work.
0 Kudos
Toronto699
4 Beryllium

asc9000

QX9650 , 2gb 1600 pc ram , cpu and graphic cooling , 790i ultra MB , W vista ultamate 32 , dual 280 gtx , xtreme gamer fatality pro , 1100kw power supply , 2 160HD , 1 750 HD , 2  light scribe DVD +- RW ,  blue ray disk drive , cyberlink DVD package , The Orange Box games , this is my second Blackbird , i bought a Blackbird 002 when first released.  go configure one , even if u get half of whats in mine or a basic unit ull be very happy, and the HP accessory store is arriving soon  for upgrades and added hardware , i went with nvidia because its better, and the ati u need something from Voodoo if u format the pc . go to hpblackbird.com but be sure to read the forum pages ask questions call blackbird

0 Kudos