Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 21st, 2008 19:00

X-Fi Screech of Death

If you have this issue, I need the following sent to me in a private message -

* Service tag number:
* Operating System:
* X-Fi driver versions tested: (Ours or Creatives)
* Did you have this issue out of box (Y/N)?
* Have you updated the PC to the latest bios (Y/N)?
* Did you try the X-Fi in a different PCI slot (Y/N)?
* Did you try turning SLI off (Y/N)?
* Explain your usage when the screech occurs:
* Possible workarounds?
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 06-21-2008 03:29 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

475 Posts

September 15th, 2008 17:00

ELK,

We oughta broadcast this one on all available channels! We agree.

Sean

44 Posts

September 15th, 2008 21:00

Dell have no intention of doing the 'right thing'. This issue has been around for a long long time. The moment they knew of an issue they should have stopped shipping this card straight away, or acknowledged the existence of a problem and given a promise to remedy it as soon as a solution was found. Although this is a Dell forum, it seems to be run by staff who have absolutely no power to do anything other than respond in a 'support' capacity, and nobody in authority reads these mails, or ever sees them. So if 10,000 people on this foum were complaining about a genuine problem (like this one), nobody (other than Dell support) would ever know. I might as well be blogging it on my wall at home (in crayon)!! I have given up even bothering at this point and will be purchasing an Asus Xonar card as soon as I get the cash together, and a non-Dell PC for my next PC purchase. I will also be advising everyone I meet to steer well clear of Dell in future (and I am a software developer so I get asked for recommendations quite a lot). But that is about as much as we can do. Spread the word. Don't buy Dell and don't buy Creative. That is all that is in our power to do...

20 Posts

September 15th, 2008 21:00

I'm really sorry to see Dell has spooked this poor 5 year old about using a computer. This will probably affect her for the next few years when she comes around someone else's computer. I pray that this doesn't happen and wish the best for the young one having to face such a horrowing experience.

Dell honestly needs to make an appearance on the forum and also email all past and present owners in or out of warranty that they know something is happening and they are working with Creative to address the problem and as soon as it gets worked out all owners will be shipped new (not refurbished) parts and also they should throw in a gift card to a retail store other than Dell or Creative, say around 150.00 to each owner of one of these systems that we all know has the SOD problem. They should handle there business up front with there customers and not try to hide the fact  they know something is wrong instead of denying email and removing post (like a communist nation would). I guess they expect us not to hear this sound (even though we do) and proceed as if everything is just fine. I hope all the people that went out and purchased new sound cards at retail will still stand behind us that haven't and let's make a multi billion dollar company hold up to there side of the product we assumed we were getting. I have always held Dell up as a high end quality innovator. Since this screech of death and there continued hop, skipping, try this, try that,  the problem has gotten out of hand. I don't know that I still have that opinion, depends on how they fix it will determine my future thoughts on Dell. I'm pretty sure they will do the right thing. We can do more as a group than we can as an individual-all marketing campaigns will tell you that. Positive or negative. DELL needs to keep there clients. And they need to quit acting like the Chinese and stand behind there products, it was us the American people that took them where they are today. I know in the USA our people demand quality especially from such a big HIGH HELD QUALITY COMPANY.

As long as they have had this problem you can't tell me they have no idea as to what's going on? I bet they knew after they received about 50 calls on it that they started researching it. And you know that after they received another few dozen emails and forum complaints on it they put people on resolving this issue. I'm sure it is most likely to big of a cost issue for them and they probably are taking the denial route using that reason. One thing we have going for us though-They can't deny it now- there are to many of there techs and system owners that have said it was a problem. I truly believe they know what's wrong just trying to find the best cost effective way (the company) to make it correct. Hey it's a DELL. This is only my opinion and I had no intentions of upsetting anyone. I do think truly DELL already knows what's happening. Hold your invoices. And I would respect my customers a little more if I where in there situation.

Please everyone have a pleasant day and I truly am not trying to upset anyone, I just think as a group you can get more done.

I wonder if they will delete this message? They did make me edit it before posting. Commies

44 Posts

September 15th, 2008 22:00

In case you were in any doubt that Creative has a role in this too...

Creative Forums Thread Link

513 Posts

September 16th, 2008 01:00

This issue is easy to avoid, just use the on-board audio. 

Another alternative is to buy a non-creative card.  These are inexpensive consumer cards and it does not take much to replace them.

30 Posts

September 16th, 2008 16:00

@Toronto699 wrote:
paulbeattie , i did the same , i replaced my screeching XPS 720 with a HP-Voodoo Blackbird

Toronto699 - mind posting the specs for your Blackbird - I'm thinking of going the same route...

1.7K Posts

September 16th, 2008 16:00

asc9000

when i have time later in the day ill post my Birds specs, please chech the forums here , if u live in USA u may be able to buy a Blackbird at a retail store . HP has a few things comming up for Blaclbirds . its a wonderfull machine and the tech support is awesome. i did a Blackbird tech support test a little while ago. WOW no hassles , in fact give the tech support a call they would love to hear from u even if u do not have a Bird .free call  

http://www.thenextbench.com/hpg/blog?blog.id=hpblog

52 Posts

September 16th, 2008 17:00

So far with a fresh install of Vista 64bit the sound works. I can not configure it to 5.1. 5.1 gives me the screech. Installing Vista updates now. What a wast this has been. 5.1 is why I got this sound card. Its a driver issue. Can't blame Dell for what Creative will not fix.

30 Posts

September 16th, 2008 17:00

Thx Toronto699 - I appreciate it!  Also, I'm curious whether you went Nvidia or ATI for your GPUs.  Apparently the Blackbird uses the Nvidia chipset for the mobo, but, has a workaround for using ATI cards that doesn't *cough* nerf *cough* their performance.

52 Posts

September 16th, 2008 18:00

After a 200MB update did a restart and the screech came back. Now going back to 32bit. It works in 32bit so I guess I won't be on 64bit till my next rig. Money is tight right now so it could be years before I can get a $4K PC again.

I recommend Acronis True Image Home for backing up everything. I am restoring now. Later 64bit.

52 Posts

The onboard audio can't compare to the X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro sound card 5.1 sound and options. Whatever the issue is with the x-fi drivers I want it fixed. I can't believe a sound card driver is the only thing stopping me from using a 64bit OS.

513 Posts

Have you tried the on-board sound? I appreciate wanting to be able to use the soundcard, but would not like to give up on a 64-bit OS.

513 Posts

September 16th, 2008 19:00

I had not noted you have the Pro (even though it is in your sig). This is indeed a step up. My speculation is that it is not the drivers, but rather something in the card's hardware. Regardless, understandable that you would like it to work.

1.7K Posts

September 17th, 2008 04:00

asc9000

QX9650 , 2gb 1600 pc ram , cpu and graphic cooling , 790i ultra MB , W vista ultamate 32 , dual 280 gtx , xtreme gamer fatality pro , 1100kw power supply , 2 160HD , 1 750 HD , 2  light scribe DVD +- RW ,  blue ray disk drive , cyberlink DVD package , The Orange Box games , this is my second Blackbird , i bought a Blackbird 002 when first released.  go configure one , even if u get half of whats in mine or a basic unit ull be very happy, and the HP accessory store is arriving soon  for upgrades and added hardware , i went with nvidia because its better, and the ati u need something from Voodoo if u format the pc . go to hpblackbird.com but be sure to read the forum pages ask questions call blackbird

52 Posts

September 17th, 2008 07:00

Is Toronto699 a sales rap. for HP??
No Events found!