PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

Re: X-Fi Screech of Death

Well, I just recently had what I THINK is the screech of death. My speakers started squealing really loudly, my system froze, and it wouldn't stop until I rebooted my pc.

Is THAT what the SoD is?

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

XPS 730x H2C (aluminum clear coat chassis)

Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60ghz (soon-to-be a Core i7-975)
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
(4) - 300GB VelociRaptors with (3) in RAID0
Western Digital MyBook 1TB
(2) - XFX Black Edition GTX 285's in SLI
(2) - DVD/RW+CD/RW Drives
Creative X-FI Titanium sound card
Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse (blue)
Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
Logitech G35 headset
Dell 3008WFP-30" LCD @ 2560x1600
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
atbglenn
3 Argentium

Well, I just recently had what I THINK is the screech of death. My speakers started squealing really loudly, my system froze, and it wouldn't stop until I rebooted my pc.

Is THAT what the SoD is?

Sure is. My system did the same exact thing a few times. But at least I was able to turn the volume down right away since I use a separate amplifier.  Almost blew out my speakers because the SOD was so much louder than the music i was playing. Since I'm now using the onboard sound chip for over 2 months , the SOD is no longer an issue.

XPS 730 Air Cooled Desktop w/ 32 Bit Vista Ultimate (64 Bit Soon)
Inspiron 531 Desktop w/ 32 Bit Vista Home Premium
XPS 1210 Laptop w/ XP Pro
Home Built Desktop w/ XP Pro
Mac Mini

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

Well, needless to say, I'm pretty peeved considering I bought this silicone piece of junk less than 2 months ago. I guess I'll have to use the onboard sound until I can get the money to buy an Auzentech or an HT Omage Claro Halo.

On a side note, is it possible to get my front I/O panel to worth with the onboard sound? If so, where do I plug it in?

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
atbglenn
3 Argentium

Well, needless to say, I'm pretty peeved considering I bought this silicone piece of junk less than 2 months ago. I guess I'll have to use the onboard sound until I can get the money to buy an Auzentech or an HT Omage Claro Halo.

On a side note, is it possible to get my front I/O panel to worth with the onboard sound? If so, where do I plug it in?

Yes you can very easily. The the front panel connection wire connects to the XPS730's motherboard. The connector is located in the upper right hand side of the motherboard near the edge. It's keyed and will only plug in one way if I remember correctly. I hope that helps.

EDIT: I see you have an XPS710. It's unfortunately a totally different setup than my XPS730. I suggest looking at the online manual, and look at your motherboard layout.

Mac Mini

0 Kudos
bobsaah
2 Bronze

So far so good, have two 420's with the Xtreme Music cards and no SOD.  I am using the creative drivers direct from their website, dated from July I believe it is.

DId anyone try those drivers to see if they solved the issue?

I have a XPS 410 with the Xtreme Music cards and no SOD. I have been using the sound bar speaker. Will the SOD happen with the sound bar speaker or just with a speaker system?

0 Kudos
atbglenn
3 Argentium

[quote user="eskymi"]

So far so good, have two 420's with the Xtreme Music cards and no SOD.  I am using the creative drivers direct from their website, dated from July I believe it is.

DId anyone try those drivers to see if they solved the issue?

I have a XPS 410 with the Xtreme Music cards and no SOD. I have been using the sound bar speaker. Will the SOD happen with the sound bar speaker or just with a speaker system?

[/quote]

It shouldn't make any difference what speakers you have connected unless the Creative sound card is very sensitive with the high impedance load of powered speakers which vary from speaker to speaker. (I doubt it though) Your Dell Sound Bar is powered with an internal amp just like the big boys BTW. I just think it's hit or miss with Creative cards, more on the miss side.

Mac Mini

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

HOW DO I MAKE MY OWN THREAD?! I HAVE LOOKED HIGH AND LOW AND STILL CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!!!!  THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12::emotion-12:

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
atbglenn
3 Argentium

There is a new UNOFFICIAL Dell support forum just getting underway. Please check it out. It's easy to understand like the old forum. There are 14 members from here so far. So if you sick of this site's hard to navigate, and bad layout. Give this forum a try. What have you got to loose?

http://theunofficial-dellsupportforums.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Mac Mini

0 Kudos