Re: X-Fi Screech of Death

I found that I had to use the dell graphics drivers, the nvidia 8800 drivers (from nvidia website) caused the screech of death but the dell ones have completely fixed it for me πŸ™‚

the latest dell 175.19 driver works really well too....

0 Kudos
Gabhan
2 Iron

This is the same release (Dell 175.19) as the latest one on the nVidia website, and I haven't heard an SOD yet since I installed it - although it is still early days... Fingers crossed Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
khaught
2 Iron

@wakarimashta wrote:

change your graphics drivers - stopped my screech completely!! hasnt occured since (1.5months ago)

xps730

8800GT x 2

4GB

vista 32 

xifi xtreme gamer

I updated all of my NVIDIA drivers for motherboard and graphics and this has created a new problem on top of the SOD. Now when I shutdown, my XPS 720 initiates the process all of my peripherals shut down but my computer will not. It just idles on and I have to continually press the power button for it to shut off. Here is the message I get from Microsoft errors:

Follow these steps to troubleshoot problems with NVIDIA Graphics Driver

This problem was caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver, which was created by NVIDIA Corporation. Currently, there is no solution for the problem that you reported.

Troubleshooting

The following troubleshooting steps might prevent the problem from recurring.

1. Go online to Windows Update to check for an updated version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver:

Click to open Windows Update in Control Panel

2. If there are no updated drivers listed on the Windows Update website, go online to the following website to check for an updated driver:

NVIDIA Corporation

Note: If you are currently running the latest version of NVIDIA Graphics Driver and still experience the problem, we recommend that you contact NVIDIA Corporation for additional information and support.

3. If NVIDIA Graphics Driver was preinstalled on your computer, you might also want to check the computer manufacturer's website for an updated version.

Okay, anyone have any suggestions to resolving this problem along with the SOD? This is beyond cumbersome. 😞

0 Kudos
Davet50
6 Indium

what order did you update in? if you updated the chipset after any other that could be the issue. I would try to reinstall the video driver again and see what happens

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
Utemetsu
2 Iron

Chris, I am intrested in sending you the information to recieve these beta drivers, however, As I have noted in a previous post, I have tried the beta drivers currently available on Creative's website and I think the term "Beta" doesnt even begin to explain the amount of sound issues they have. While In the (VERY) short time I had them (thats under a day mind you) I never experinced the SoD, Sound quality took a huge hit and made most of my games unplayable and music unlistenable. If they are not these nasty 2.18 drivers I'm game to solve this problem, otherwise, I'll stick with the 2.15.
0 Kudos
khaught
2 Iron

Davet50, yeah tried that. I also unistalled all of them and used Driver Cleaner Pro and reinstalled older drivers but still have the same problem. Smiley Sad

Now what to do?

Message Edited by khaught on 07-10-2008 10:23 AM
0 Kudos
Toronto699
4 Beryllium

screech and graphics driver there is no link , changes u make to your PC may delay the screech , but it will always return.  as ive tried an ATI card  and still get and have screech.
0 Kudos
Gabhan
2 Iron

I have now gone the full work day (and last evening / night) without the SOD - the first time that has happened in a while - and I have had music on all day. I even played about with YouTube at lunch time so I would have sound and video playing to keep the sound card in use. The only change I have made is to change the graphics driver. I will leave the PC on all night with iTunes open and paused. If there is an SOD during the night, iTunes will not play without a restart so I will know. Looking good to me...

0 Kudos
Utemetsu
2 Iron

I feel like we are all part of some crack troubleshooting squad. I wonder how many people at Creative are trying the same stuff we are with such vigor.
0 Kudos
Toronto699
4 Beryllium

if u read the creative soundblaster forum many are trying to fix or trouble shoot the screech crackle pop noise issue , many have simply given up or bought a non creative card and simply put creative has given up on the issue .
0 Kudos