Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2015 13:00

XPS 18 - 1820 AIO - ram upgrade possible on refurbished machines? Dell chat said no.

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a refurbished XPS 1820 AIO from the outlet site. Every one of them on the outlet are configured with 4GB of ram. I'd like at least 8GB. When I chatted with a dell representative on the site he told me that 4GB is the maximum ram it can take.

I've read elsewhere that the 1820 can take up to 16GB of ram. So what's true here? Is he misinformed, perhaps Dell takes out the extra slot on refurbs? Are they just saying that because they don't want people to open them up?

Thanks

September 15th, 2015 17:00

yea, I just installed a Samsung EVO 850 512GB in there which is a dual keyed SSD and it works correctly. 

My refurb unit also came with 8GB of RAM even though being advertised with 4 which was a nice bonus... 

One thing I did notice is that USB dongle for the keyboard and mouse was NOT installed inside and was just in the keyboard box.  I did install it in the internal USB port inside the case so the two external ports are still available.

780 Posts

June 24th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching us.

Its a tricky memory configuration on this model.

On the XPS 1810/18 system, the memory (RAM) is part of the system board, However

The memory options are available are:

• 4 GB - Integrated on the System Board.
  • 4 GB - Memory can be installed into the memory expansion slot.

If memory is part of the system board, it cannot be upgraded as a separate module. In case technical support agents isolate and determine the memory to be the cause of an issue, replace the system board.

If you're technically good enough to open the machine(which Dell does not recommend), You may check if the memory is soldered or if the expansion slot is empty, Depending on the way it is configured, we shall take a call on the memory upgrade.

Thank you.

29 Posts

September 3rd, 2015 09:00

Thanks for the response. I ordered the XPS 1820 and much to my surprise it came with 8gb of ram even though when I ordered it on the outlet the specs claimed it only had 4gb. For anyone interested there is a indeed a second slot for ram - it was already filled in my case. A nice surprise.

It came with a 1TB 5200 HDD. I was hoping to upgrade that  by utilizing the second ssd slot. I mistakenly purchased an MSATA but I see now only the 1810 uses MSATA. The 1820 uses M.2 SSD.

So now my question is that almost all of the m2 ssd cards out there are three pronged - the so called B/M key. The slot in the XPS appears to be an M key - 2 pronged. From what I've gleaned by looking around online a B/M key (three pronged) ssd will work in a M slot. But I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone confirm that before I buy?

EDIT: I was told elsewhere that an M+B ssd will work in the XPS M slot. Going to order one and if it doesn't work I'll report back.

29 Posts

September 20th, 2015 08:00

Yes, I installed a 128 GB sandisk dual keyed m.2 SSD, cloned my HDD to it and now this machine really flies!

The only confusing part of all this for me was when I cloned my HDD to the SSD I kept getting errors and there was no way for me to change the bootup disk to the SSD in bios. I guess the hdd is the defaut 1st slot it checks. I had to remove the HDD for it to select the SSD as the startup disk. So I will have to reformat the HDD externally.

Thank you for mentioning the USB dongle. I saw that but it already had something in there so I didn't mess with it at first. But on your suggestion I put in the dongle that came with my keyboard in and it works correctly freeing up an extra USB slot!

11 Posts

November 14th, 2015 17:00

Would you let me know the length of the M2 SSD please? Thanks.

29 Posts

November 15th, 2015 05:00

This is the m.2 SSD I installed, you could get the details if you look this up.

SanDisk X300 128GB M.2 2280 SSD 6.0GB/s - SD7SN6S-128G-1122

Good luck

No Events found!