Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2014 11:00

XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Hello folks,

I need help with a problem. When I plug in the charger to the tablet directly is shows "plugged in but not charging" but when i plug it into the cradle it works fine. I was wondering if this is a software switch that I might have activated. I have just updated the drivers, bios and disconnected and plugged back in the battery. Still have the same issue. I also checked the charger and it is working as should be.........

Please help.

3 Posts

April 12th, 2015 12:00

I'm faced with the same issue, it started 4 months after purchasing the XPS 18.  I cannot charge the XPS 18 in the base, only with the power supply directly plugged into the side of the tablet (that basically defeats the purchase of a $50 base). It has the standard "Plugged In, Not Charging" message on the tray icon.

I just put a call into Dell technical support, and they claim it's a known issue, and have scheduled a technician to come to my house to replace the LCD SCREEN. So it seems that it's not the base, but the circuitry inside the XPS 18.   

If you have this problem, I would call Dell right away before you are out of warranty period...

36 Posts

March 26th, 2014 06:00

So any ideas that might help me?

2 Posts

April 12th, 2014 18:00

any news? same issue with my xps18

2 Posts

April 13th, 2014 11:00

I have the same issue as sflitteral; charging while in stand, not charging while directly plugged in. I updated all drivers and at the end decided to update BIOS (A05 to A06). After updating BIOS and restarting tablet I noticed battery did start to but only for a minute or two. It seems like something switched it off. AC adapter seems to be recognized in BIOS (showing 65W). I also run battery diagnostic test and results indicate its OK.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 13th, 2014 12:00

I pinged my Dell tech contacts about this issue.

Stay tuned...

1 Message

April 14th, 2014 05:00

Any news on this. I have the same issue. "Plugged in not charging" on the XPS 18 on the cradle or just plugged into the side. I have 2 of these, so I swapped the chargers to test that. Both XPS18s are running Windows 8.1 with all updates/all current Dell drivers and A06 bios.

Any suggestions to try, other than to turn this into a Frisbee and see how far it flies out the window, would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 14th, 2014 12:00

Any news on this. I have the same issue. "Plugged in not charging" on the XPS 18 on the cradle or just plugged into the side. I have 2 of these, so I swapped the chargers to test that. Both XPS18s are running Windows 8.1 with all updates/all current Dell drivers and A06 bios.

Any suggestions to try, other than to turn this into a Frisbee and see how far it flies out the window, would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

@Terrordyne- Are you saying it won't charge either in the cradle or directly plugged in? That seems to be different from what the others said because their unit will charge in the cradle.

Either way, my Dell tech contact says he's notified the appropriate team to look into this issue. 

I don't have an ETA for a  response, but hang in there...

3 Posts

April 15th, 2014 18:00

My XPS18 decided to stop charging three days ago.  I just ordered a cradle and new charger to see if I could bring it back to life.  Right now, it does not have enough power to boot. 

Shouldn't it be able to boot on the power adapter regardless of battery state?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 15th, 2014 21:00

Shouldn't it be able to boot on the power adapter regardless of battery state?

That should be correct, but assumes the charger is working and/or the onboard circuitry is accepting power from the charger...

3 Posts

April 24th, 2014 11:00

I purchased one of the Dell stands with charger and the XPS18 charged fine while on the base.

Put a DVM on the original charger and the new charger that came with the Dell stand...same readings.

Now, with computer fully charged, when I plug in the old (or new charger), the power led remains white (before on the old charger, it was slow blinking red).

This is a real confidence destroyer.  I had hoped to carry this for business and presentations, but if I have to drag along the 8 pound (and bulky) stand to be able to charge the thing, it is a no-go.

I would just like to know if it is a software or hardware problem... 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 25th, 2014 11:00

I pinged my Dell tech contacts again to see if we can get some traction on this issue...

2 Posts

April 25th, 2014 12:00

if we google about this issue, we found many posts regarding this problem.

Where is DELL? they keep selling and never fix an old issue affecting some versions.

my one stop charging 2 months after my purchase.

May 12th, 2014 17:00

kinda late on this thread, but anyways, My XPS 18 has the same problem.  Not even owned a year (mere 7 months).  Noticed it on 06 May 2014 and seems to me that many other owners noticed the problem around that time as well (odd).  When plugged into stand it will read "plugged in, not charging".  But when direct connected to PC it will take a while then read the charger and begin charging.  Though it has happened when it was direct connected and read "plugged in, not charging" as well.  This has been very bothersome and irritating.  All drivers are up to date in accordance will Dell.com and computer.  Any help would be appreciated and I do leave it on the charger for less than two weeks at a time, so I do not think it is the battery...

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 12th, 2014 18:00

kinda late on this thread, but anyways, My XPS 18 has the same problem.  Not even owned a year (mere 7 months).  Noticed it on 06 May 2014 and seems to me that many other owners noticed the problem around that time as well (odd).  When plugged into stand it will read "plugged in, not charging".  But when direct connected to PC it will take a while then read the charger and begin charging.  Though it has happened when it was direct connected and read "plugged in, not charging" as well.  This has been very bothersome and irritating.  All drivers are up to date in accordance will Dell.com and computer.  Any help would be appreciated and I do leave it on the charger for less than two weeks at a time, so I do not think it is the battery...

If you're still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support asap for assistance.

(And I pinged my Dell contacts again.)

2 Posts

May 15th, 2014 19:00

I also have the same issue beginning 5/5/15.  Dell?  

No Events found!