RoHe
6 Indium

RE: XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Jump to solution
I pinged my Dell tech contacts again to see if we can get some traction on this issue...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
caminhante
1 Copper

Jump to solution

if we google about this issue, we found many posts regarding this problem.

Where is DELL? they keep selling and never fix an old issue affecting some versions.

my one stop charging 2 months after my purchase.

0 Kudos
Ryan McCourt
1 Copper

Jump to solution

kinda late on this thread, but anyways, My XPS 18 has the same problem.  Not even owned a year (mere 7 months).  Noticed it on 06 May 2014 and seems to me that many other owners noticed the problem around that time as well (odd).  When plugged into stand it will read "plugged in, not charging".  But when direct connected to PC it will take a while then read the charger and begin charging.  Though it has happened when it was direct connected and read "plugged in, not charging" as well.  This has been very bothersome and irritating.  All drivers are up to date in accordance will Dell.com and computer.  Any help would be appreciated and I do leave it on the charger for less than two weeks at a time, so I do not think it is the battery...

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

kinda late on this thread, but anyways, My XPS 18 has the same problem.  Not even owned a year (mere 7 months).  Noticed it on 06 May 2014 and seems to me that many other owners noticed the problem around that time as well (odd).  When plugged into stand it will read "plugged in, not charging".  But when direct connected to PC it will take a while then read the charger and begin charging.  Though it has happened when it was direct connected and read "plugged in, not charging" as well.  This has been very bothersome and irritating.  All drivers are up to date in accordance will Dell.com and computer.  Any help would be appreciated and I do leave it on the charger for less than two weeks at a time, so I do not think it is the battery...

If you're still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support asap for assistance.

(And I pinged my Dell contacts again.)

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

csbeach
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I also have the same issue beginning 5/5/15.  Dell?  

0 Kudos
ayoung2002
1 Copper

Jump to solution

same here, have two XPS 18's, happening on both now. bad scene, Dell?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ryan McCourt
1 Copper

Jump to solution

According to the time frame in which everyone has reported noticing that their XPS 18 will not accept charge through via direct charge or through cradle tells me that it might be a driver update problem.  Since it seems to have happened with quite a few people in accordance with this feed and a few other feeds I found around the same time, it could possibly be due to a system software update leading to this problem.

Though mine is getting worse-- No charge at all through via direct connection or cradle. I killed my XPS 18 completely last night May 16 to see if it would reset anything; it did not.  Overnight I charged it through direct connection and it seemed have charged up to 30%. But as of now it is not charging and still reads "plugged in, not charging". I am calling DELL today after my college graduation to see what their solution may be.  Weather it be bringing it to the closest Best- Buy or uninstalling/re-installing drivers.  

Good luck to everyone else with this problem 

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Heard from my Dell tech contact that the issues causing the XPS 18 not to charge in the dock/stand or not charging when plugged in directly have been identified.

Dell Knowledge Base articles have requested to describe these 2 issues and how they can be fixed. Don't have ETA for the KB articles, but I'll try to post links to them as soon as I can.

Hope this gives you some encouragement that help should be coming...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

Ryan McCourt
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you,

I had contacted support and spoke to some guy from of course India and went through it all.  He sent a techy over and replaced my motherboard.  Fixed everything.  With my own research and educated assumption it was most likely the charging regulator on the motherboard that went bad.  Nothing to do with updates or BIOS.

0 Kudos
dejan1980
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Same here. Replacing motherboard fixed the issue. I have to say Dell Tech support was awesome and very quick processing my request. Thanks!
0 Kudos