Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2014 11:00

XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Hello folks,

I need help with a problem. When I plug in the charger to the tablet directly is shows "plugged in but not charging" but when i plug it into the cradle it works fine. I was wondering if this is a software switch that I might have activated. I have just updated the drivers, bios and disconnected and plugged back in the battery. Still have the same issue. I also checked the charger and it is working as should be.........

Please help.

2 Posts

May 16th, 2014 19:00

same here, have two XPS 18's, happening on both now. bad scene, Dell?

May 17th, 2014 04:00

According to the time frame in which everyone has reported noticing that their XPS 18 will not accept charge through via direct charge or through cradle tells me that it might be a driver update problem.  Since it seems to have happened with quite a few people in accordance with this feed and a few other feeds I found around the same time, it could possibly be due to a system software update leading to this problem.

Though mine is getting worse-- No charge at all through via direct connection or cradle. I killed my XPS 18 completely last night May 16 to see if it would reset anything; it did not.  Overnight I charged it through direct connection and it seemed have charged up to 30%. But as of now it is not charging and still reads "plugged in, not charging". I am calling DELL today after my college graduation to see what their solution may be.  Weather it be bringing it to the closest Best- Buy or uninstalling/re-installing drivers.  

Good luck to everyone else with this problem :emotion-6:

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 22nd, 2014 16:00

Heard from my Dell tech contact that the issues causing the XPS 18 not to charge in the dock/stand or not charging when plugged in directly have been identified.

Dell Knowledge Base articles have requested to describe these 2 issues and how they can be fixed. Don't have ETA for the KB articles, but I'll try to post links to them as soon as I can.

Hope this gives you some encouragement that help should be coming...

May 22nd, 2014 16:00

Thank you,

I had contacted support and spoke to some guy from of course India and went through it all.  He sent a techy over and replaced my motherboard.  Fixed everything.  With my own research and educated assumption it was most likely the charging regulator on the motherboard that went bad.  Nothing to do with updates or BIOS.

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 17:00

Same here. Replacing motherboard fixed the issue. I have to say Dell Tech support was awesome and very quick processing my request. Thanks!

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 18:00

You guys got lucky.  My warranty is expired. 

It charges on the stand so I end up with a very expensive photo frame...

I found Dell to be no help at all.  Too bad...this would  have been great for presentations on the road.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 11:00

You guys got lucky.  My warranty is expired. 

It charges on the stand so I end up with a very expensive photo frame...

I found Dell to be no help at all.  Too bad...this would  have been great for presentations on the road.

How long ago? And did you report the problem to Dell Tech Support before the warranty expired?

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 13:00

And for the rest of you, if your warranty is active, contact Dell Tech Support and they'll know how to get whichever charging problem you have fixed.

Good luck!

2 Posts

May 29th, 2014 20:00

Update, 5/29/2014, tech support came on 5/27 to fix one of them after hours on the phone, replaced motherboard and now the touchscreen is dead, 2 more hours on the phone 5/29 for yet another tech visit. Dell will not just swap the units for a known defect, I was told by tech support. The other unit I own is completely dead now, starting the tech support process for that one next week, I may just box them up and ship them back with a bow, very disappointing DELL. I posted my quality problems on Amazon to help others avoid this product.

1 Message

September 1st, 2014 07:00

I started having issues with my XPS 18 around two weeks ago as well. Warranty is expired. When docked on stand I get "Plugged in, not charging" When plugged in direct to AC Adapter it works properly. This sounds a little different than most, but probably related to same problem. I have two stands and it is consistent on both. Looking forward to seeing any KB articles on it. I'm hoping that I can order the defective part (entire motherboard?) and replace.

4 Posts

September 11th, 2014 19:00

I am having the exact same issue when docked. I am under warranty.  DELL support came out and replaced the LCD screen and had it all apart and replaced several ?things? - still no luck.  DELL sent another docking station, same issue.  I am still working with support but wondered if you made any progress.  Wanted to add this post to the others, but being new to the community, not sure how to..

September 19th, 2014 05:00

Hello, I was having the same issue in the beginning of this thread.  I had gone through DELLs foreign support service in India -.-

The issue was resolved when a technician came over and replaced the motherboard and that was it.  The mother boards bios was messed up and updates where not getting through properly.  The only thing that needs replacement is the motherboard; not the screen nor the charging stations.  This should all be documented by the support services but sounds like it is not.

Battery icon would say " charged XX%, but not charging". yes I went through the whole battery protection thing that DELL has on their portable PCs and that did not change anything.  Again it was the motherboard, god knows why they would replace the screen

2 Posts

September 19th, 2014 07:00

They came and replaced my motherboard and that solved the problem.  However, the tech did something that screwed up the touch screen.  I disabled the touch and just use it as a standard computer now.  I will be moving apples direction with my next purchase.

4 Posts

September 19th, 2014 10:00

My variation on the problem was that the computer would charge when connected directly, but when it was sitting in the docking stand, the battery charging icon would indicate "plugged in, not charging."  During the first service visit, the technician replaced the screen.  That did not solve the problem.  Then DELL sent me a replacement docking stand.  That did not solve the problem.  During the second service visit, the technician replaced the motherboard.  That seems to have solved the problem.  This was all done under warranty.  DELL service was good if a little misdirected.  I am wondering what happens next time I encounter this problem (with the new motherboard) and am considering investing in an extension to the warranty.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

September 19th, 2014 13:00

They came and replaced my motherboard and that solved the problem.  However, the tech did something that screwed up the touch screen.  I disabled the touch and just use it as a standard computer now.  I will be moving apples direction with my next purchase.

If the touch screen isn't working right and you're still under warranty, contact Tech Support asap and have them fix it. There's no reason why you shouldn't have full use of the system's features. 

You can also start a new, separate thread in this forum about that problem and maybe somebody here has a fix. Be sure to include details of the PC model, version of Windows and about the problem itself.

No Events found!