Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2014 11:00

XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Hello folks,

I need help with a problem. When I plug in the charger to the tablet directly is shows "plugged in but not charging" but when i plug it into the cradle it works fine. I was wondering if this is a software switch that I might have activated. I have just updated the drivers, bios and disconnected and plugged back in the battery. Still have the same issue. I also checked the charger and it is working as should be.........

Please help.

12 Posts

June 4th, 2015 08:00

The response I received from tech support after forwarding this thread:

"We appreciate you taking time and doing extensive research over the web. After reviewing the link you shared and going by comments we can say that it was one odd situation where the problem repeated after system exchange however not all units have this issue. We are confident that replacement system should correct the problem and my backend team has also confirmed the same hence request you to wait till the unit arrives and confirm the status after usage."

15 Posts

philengle--

After reviewing the link they found ONE ODD SITUATION after system exchange?

wow.

Hopefully your replacement will be good. If so, the one or two or three or four of us can use your replacement as a guide to figure out the differences in your new unit and what we need to request to fix our systems.

As posted here, the motherboard replacement solution worked, but my tech rep feels that was just another odd situation and doesn't think it will fix my exact same problem.

12 Posts

I decided to refrain from commentary, but I think 'Wow' sums it up nicely!  I'll report back when I get my new unit.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

June 4th, 2015 13:00

I just got this from one of my Dell Tech contacts. You may want to use it as a guide for tech support when requesting warranty service for your XPS 18:

Un-docked (Run this test first)
* Connect the AC adapter directly to the XPS 18 left side power port
* Check the battery charge light located on the right side of the XPS 18 and the battery icon
   displayed on the screen
* If the battery is charging, the battery, AC adapter, XPS 18 are working
* If the battery is not charging, the battery and AC adapter should first be replaced. If that does
  not correct the issue, a Return To Depot repair or onsite technician repair should be setup to
  replace the motherboard. If the motherboard replacement fails to fix the issue, a used like for
  like system exchange should be set up

Docked
* You have already ran the above steps and verified that the battery, AC adapter, XPS 18 are
   functioning and charge the battery
* Connect the AC adapter to the Powered Stand power port
* Ensure that the indicator on the Powered Stand turns solid white to confirm that the connection
  is secure
* Check the battery charge light located on the right side of the XPS 18 and the battery icon
  displayed on the screen
* If not charging, the Power Stand should be replaced
* If that fails to correct the docked issue, the motherboard should be replaced
* If the motherboard replacement fails to fix the issue, a used like for like system exchange
   should be setup

Hope this helps!

5 Posts

June 5th, 2015 11:00

Dell is sending a replacement unit to me today.

The new exactly what the issue was and I sent them this thread and immediately they called it a mb issue. Hopefully the new unit works.

4 Posts

June 5th, 2015 12:00

For me (nine months ago) they first replaced the display, then the stand, then the MB...it has been working since, but I spent the few hundred bucks to extend the full warranty.

5 Posts

June 5th, 2015 13:00

I am not suggesting that they openly admitted to that. 

But my Chat session was literally about 15 lines of chat total.

I explained exactly what was going on with the charging. The rep said, Give me 2 to 3 minutes and then came back with they could send a tech out to replace the hardware defect or they could send me a new tablet since mine was brand new arrived this week. 

Given they did not go through all the horrid tech questions  ("are you plugged into the wall outlet?") that tells me they know there is an issue.

15 Posts

June 5th, 2015 13:00

CSLYNCH22

Hopefully they're sending you a more current unit that has had the problem resolved. I suspect that many of us are experiencing what PLINDQUIST went through 9 months back and that our units were manufactured around the same time.

Maybe they figured out the mb problem and they've remedied it in more current models.

If they send you a new one and it works, please let us know so we can push our tech support reps.

They did the screen swap, then the full unit swap and still have the problem. They suggested sending me a third stand/cradle but decided to ask "Engineering" for a solution first. Said it would be 24-48 hours. Been five days.

Interesting that your guy said they knew of the problem and knew the solution.

15 Posts

June 11th, 2015 11:00

Latest on my end:

I reminded them, they tried this and a new display on the first unit before they sent me an entire new unit. He still wants to do the POGO board on the new unit. Well let you know.

Hello Scott,

Thank you for choosing Dell.

We appreciate your patience in letting us work on the issue. We did got the update from engineering team to replace POGO BOARD for the system to resolve charging issue. We did seen replacement of POGO board has resolved most of the issues reported with the charging. I will go ahead and setup a dispatch for the POGO board part. Please let us know your consent so that we can setup a service call for part replacement. 

2 Posts

June 11th, 2015 13:00

Hi I have just ordered my XPS 18. Was not aware of the poor reliability of the power stand charging issues until I came accross this forum. Confidence in the unit has gone to zero!. I tried to cancel my order but too late as it has been shipped! I would appreciate if you could update on how your XPS 18 is performing and maybe restore some of my faith in the unit.

5 Posts

June 11th, 2015 21:00

EATAN,

Other than my power stand charging issues I have no complaints with my XPS 18 it is exactly what I wanted.  Mine charges fine through the side port and I am awaiting a replacement.

I am not a gamer but it plays the few games I use perfectly fine and I use remote desktop a lot on it too.

Again, no complaints and it boots very fast with the SSD.

25 Posts

June 11th, 2015 23:00

Eatan,  these are good workhorse systems overall and Dell support will make them right should you have an issue while under warranty.  You may never have a problem with it.  Keep in mind that the happy folks that have had no problems aren't posting here! They are in the majority!  There is a negative bias because we are talking about a specific type of problem, not the overall performance and function of the XPS.  I don't know my company's XPS failure rate and I won't even venture a guess because that would not be helpful.  It is not a high percentage by any means.  It also is not an insignificant number due to our own high warranty costs when one fails.  I would like to know the root cause of the failures so I can repair out of warranty systems.  Failing that I would like to have a way to get new or rebuilt (not refurbished) replacement board at reasonable cost.

I am trying to be fair while seeking more information here and providing what I know.  I have seen much bigger problems with PC hardware.  A certain manufacturer (not Dell!) of PC motherboards I dealt with at a previous employer was selling us boards with a 50% failure rate at turn-on!  Now that was a zero-confidence situation that has left them as my last choice for new hardware even years later.  Even that is unfair as their new products are quite highly rated.  Dell does a good job overall and their support is quite good.  Please remember this is a discussion about a problem only some are experiencing and most get it fixed for free under warranty.  Be fair!  This message was composed on a Dell OptiPlex 3020 about which I have no complaints.

2 Posts

June 12th, 2015 03:00

Thanks X-Ray Tech for restoring my faith in the product. I only opted for the standard 1 year warranty. Is it worth extending it? 

15 Posts

June 12th, 2015 07:00

Eatan,

I echo the last two comments...and hopefully, your machine will not the have the issues. I really like the system. Otherwise, I would have given it back a few weeks ago. Dell has a 30 day no questions asked free return on these (at least the did just a month or so back) so if that's still in place no need to stress.

My company goes through a lot of computers of all types and this one lives up to the reviews it has gotten since the debut. Except the charging issues and really, what's the typical large computer supplier tech support issue.

This problem touches those with the cradle most. They've been packaging the cradle recently with only the more expensive unit. So if you whittle down the number of events across the XPS18 family it's relatively small group and therefore doesn't get the attention it should at the company.

Because it's the more "advanced" system, the people who purchase it usually have some better understanding of troubleshooting these things. What gets frustrating is doing the dance with tech support to finally get them to acknowledge that the issue needs to be addressed at a higher level and stored in their database of solutions.

There are a number of people here who have been through/are going through the fight right now and I was glad to get their advice when I started with the issue.

If you get a bad one, decide if you like the system and jump in the fight and they'll get it eventually. If not, you probably have an out depending on what was available when you ordered.

Please let us know how you make out....good or bad!!

Thanks!

12 Posts

June 12th, 2015 08:00

Update - My BRAND NEW replacement unit arrived today at my work.  Since I'm headed off on vacation tomorrow, I quickly unboxed and set it up to test if the issue is fixed with the new unit.  Unfortunately, the new unit has the exact same symptoms as the first.

It will charge when directly connected to the PC; when powered through the dock (power plug fully seated, light on), the PC reports 'plugged in, not charging'.

I then repeated the BIOS test the tech had me perform over the phone - enter the BIOS by pressing F2 on power up.  Scroll down to the AD Adapter Type line at the bottom.  When unplugged, it reports 'none'; when plugged directly in the PC, it reports '65 W'; when docked, it reports 'unknown'.

So I've sent off a very direct email to my support rep, detailing the latest, pointing out this is clearly more than an 'odd situation', and that they have both a manufacturing and quality control issue.  I've asked them to re-engage with this thread and to recognize the issue they have.

I will continue to insist on a brand new replacement which has been fully tested and validated by Dell.

Since I'm headed out on vacation tomorrow, my next update will likely be at least a week away.

No Events found!