RoHe
6 Indium

RE: XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Jump to solution

Don't give up just yet. Contact Dell's Out of Warranty Repair Service.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BlackSushi
1 Copper

Jump to solution

just replace the motherboard and will work again for 50-60 $ 

0 Kudos
sflitteral
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

well if you can give me a link for the i7 motherboard for 50-60 dollars please post. Because they are more like 240 - 450 dollars.

I tried the out of warranty service call and they do not have the motherboard in stock any longer. Hows that for service. So can someone help with a list of motherboards that will be compatible for the 1810 model in the i5 and i7 processor series.

Thanks

sflitteral
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

One other question? Can i buy a new i3 motherboard and swap out the processor with the i7? or is that even possible. Because the i3 boards are 30-60 dollars. Just wondering.

Thanks

Never mind that was a dumb question. Fingers were thinking not the mind.

0 Kudos
PcComputerGuy
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Replace battery first, and that did not solve it. For our issue, had to replace the motherboard. Once replaced, computer boots up and works just fine. Fortunately not too crazy to replace the motherboard in these machines. 

Hope that helps others out there! 

sflitteral
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Replacing the motherboard is easy to replace. Has anyone tried replacing the "Left-side DC Power Jack Audio IO USB Circuit Board" first and had any luck. but any way ill give it a go. Ill post as soon as i get one and install it.

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I have watched Dell replace the board to no avail on multiple occasions, they used to replace it before they would replace the motherboard.  The only time changing that board repaired a charging issue was when the jack and the plug were physically damaged, then a new board and a new charger were the fix.  You can Ohm out the jack to the board, it has a separate cable connection to the mobo and sends nothing over the "bridge board".  Two wires are the plus, two are the minus, and one is the center pin that it uses to read the charger type.  If it runs off the charger but doesn't charge, you only need to check the connection to the center pin as the plus and minus are obviously powering the tablet.  You also need to be really sure the battery has not failed prior to replacing the mobo.  A charging stand is really helpful for that as it uses a separate charge path.

0 Kudos
BESHAD
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Guys, 

Just wanted to share my experience solving this XPS 18 plugged in not charging problem, my Dell XPS18 stopped charging the battery (infamous plugged in, not charging message). it refused to turn on when the battery drained to zero percentage. i do not have a cradle (only a wall charger connecting to the tablet) so i don't know if it would have charged via cradle. first thing i did was to order a new wall charger which didn't do anything, then i purchased a new USB ports/charger port/volume/headphone jack logic board (US30) as well as the bridge board (the small board that goes from the charger-board to the motherboard) for US15 from Aliexpress. neither helped, finally i ordered a replacement i3 intel  motherboard from ebay for US60. a new motherboard solved the problem and my tablet is back to action (although i regret it  now that why didn't i pay more and bought an i5/i7 board). My advice to anyone with this issue is to go straight replacing the motherboard and do not waste time and money on other solutions. they are quite cheap and easy to replace (instruction link from Youtube below).One important thing, remember to buy and use a new thermal paste when swapping the motherboard and refitting your thermal sink to the new MB. i didn't know i had to do this and my CPU started overheating within seconds, fan had to work harder and a lot louder. a new $2 paste took care of this and now it is as quite as.   you also need T9 torx screwdriver to remove the back cover. cheers 

sflitteral
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Great advice BESHAD, i just replaced mine with the "dell out of warranty service" mobo. they sent me the thermal paste with the new board. But i ran into an issue with having to add my service tag number to the bios. were you able to do this? They did not provide this nugget of information......?

0 Kudos
BESHAD
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

why would you need the service tag for motherboard? not sure if this is related but i had to buy a new Windows 10 full license from Microsoft because motherboard was changed and the OS thought i had transferred it onto a new computer.. that was ok as my original OS was 8.1 (could not bother going through reinstalling 8 then using free 10 upgrade). it only cost me $NZ50 for a windows 10 license and that is not OEM like the OS which came with the tablet.  

why service tag is needed?

0 Kudos