Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2014 11:00

XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Hello folks,

I need help with a problem. When I plug in the charger to the tablet directly is shows "plugged in but not charging" but when i plug it into the cradle it works fine. I was wondering if this is a software switch that I might have activated. I have just updated the drivers, bios and disconnected and plugged back in the battery. Still have the same issue. I also checked the charger and it is working as should be.........

Please help.

4 Posts

January 31st, 2016 02:00

Hi there do you know what component is the charge regulator i mean the pwm seem to be the chip PM25LD010 which i think is the bios in this motherboard let me know if you can get more info.

25 Posts

February 1st, 2016 21:00

I don’t know, I was hoping someone here might know. I may be able to get a scrap XPS 18 with a bad motherboard soon, I am waiting to see how it gets dispositioned. I don’t have a motherboard to look at so far. PM25LD010 is a flash chip.  The XPS 18 will charge while powered off so I assume the BIOS will not be involved. There is most likely a charge controller chip or maybe two separate ones, one for each port.  It could also have a small micro or a state machine to control the charge.  There are some really excellent dedicated chips, so I would think they might have used one of them.  I just don't know.

After many years of wanting, I finally got a stereo zoom microscope a short while ago and just finished fabricating an adapter to convert a boom monitor stand to a scope mount over the weekend. Now I have a nice microscope setup so I can do more SMT inspection and rework in the home lab.  Now I just need that motherboard to study!

36 Posts

February 17th, 2016 07:00

Well the problem is back again after a years time.

When I first posted this issue it was under warranty and Dell sent out on site service tech. He replaced the motherboard,cmos battery and a few other connecting wires along with a new charger. Everything worked great again. Well it back to the same issue again. So now that its out of warranty does anyone know what the cost is to get this repaired. Its frustrating to have this happen again. I really love this computer but i cant be left high and dry again and i really don't want to carry two computers around just in case it plan out fails on me.

Help!

36 Posts

February 17th, 2016 07:00

Just tried chat with support. Very Very disappointed with them.

But what would you expect. Same issues with the PC and now that its not in warranty they will not support you with trying to get a fix. I will be taking my business elsewhere for new PC.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 17th, 2016 10:00

Don't give up just yet. Contact Dell's Out of Warranty Repair Service.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2016 10:00

just replace the motherboard and will work again for 50-60 $ 

36 Posts

February 20th, 2016 06:00

well if you can give me a link for the i7 motherboard for 50-60 dollars please post. Because they are more like 240 - 450 dollars.

I tried the out of warranty service call and they do not have the motherboard in stock any longer. Hows that for service. So can someone help with a list of motherboards that will be compatible for the 1810 model in the i5 and i7 processor series.

Thanks

36 Posts

February 20th, 2016 07:00

One other question? Can i buy a new i3 motherboard and swap out the processor with the i7? or is that even possible. Because the i3 boards are 30-60 dollars. Just wondering.

Thanks

Never mind that was a dumb question. Fingers were thinking not the mind.

1 Message

February 28th, 2016 10:00

Replace battery first, and that did not solve it. For our issue, had to replace the motherboard. Once replaced, computer boots up and works just fine. Fortunately not too crazy to replace the motherboard in these machines. 

Hope that helps others out there! 

25 Posts

March 5th, 2016 10:00

I have watched Dell replace the board to no avail on multiple occasions, they used to replace it before they would replace the motherboard.  The only time changing that board repaired a charging issue was when the jack and the plug were physically damaged, then a new board and a new charger were the fix.  You can Ohm out the jack to the board, it has a separate cable connection to the mobo and sends nothing over the "bridge board".  Two wires are the plus, two are the minus, and one is the center pin that it uses to read the charger type.  If it runs off the charger but doesn't charge, you only need to check the connection to the center pin as the plus and minus are obviously powering the tablet.  You also need to be really sure the battery has not failed prior to replacing the mobo.  A charging stand is really helpful for that as it uses a separate charge path.

36 Posts

March 5th, 2016 10:00

Replacing the motherboard is easy to replace. Has anyone tried replacing the "Left-side DC Power Jack Audio IO USB Circuit Board" first and had any luck. but any way ill give it a go. Ill post as soon as i get one and install it.

Thanks for the help

17 Posts

March 24th, 2016 22:00

Hi Guys, 

Just wanted to share my experience solving this XPS 18 plugged in not charging problem, my Dell XPS18 stopped charging the battery (infamous plugged in, not charging message). it refused to turn on when the battery drained to zero percentage. i do not have a cradle (only a wall charger connecting to the tablet) so i don't know if it would have charged via cradle. first thing i did was to order a new wall charger which didn't do anything, then i purchased a new USB ports/charger port/volume/headphone jack logic board (US30) as well as the bridge board (the small board that goes from the charger-board to the motherboard) for US15 from Aliexpress. neither helped, finally i ordered a replacement i3 intel  motherboard from ebay for US60. a new motherboard solved the problem and my tablet is back to action (although i regret it  now that why didn't i pay more and bought an i5/i7 board). My advice to anyone with this issue is to go straight replacing the motherboard and do not waste time and money on other solutions. they are quite cheap and easy to replace (instruction link from Youtube below).One important thing, remember to buy and use a new thermal paste when swapping the motherboard and refitting your thermal sink to the new MB. i didn't know i had to do this and my CPU started overheating within seconds, fan had to work harder and a lot louder. a new $2 paste took care of this and now it is as quite as.   you also need T9 torx screwdriver to remove the back cover. cheers 

36 Posts

April 10th, 2016 09:00

Great advice BESHAD, i just replaced mine with the "dell out of warranty service" mobo. they sent me the thermal paste with the new board. But i ran into an issue with having to add my service tag number to the bios. were you able to do this? They did not provide this nugget of information......?

17 Posts

April 10th, 2016 15:00

why would you need the service tag for motherboard? not sure if this is related but i had to buy a new Windows 10 full license from Microsoft because motherboard was changed and the OS thought i had transferred it onto a new computer.. that was ok as my original OS was 8.1 (could not bother going through reinstalling 8 then using free 10 upgrade). it only cost me $NZ50 for a windows 10 license and that is not OEM like the OS which came with the tablet.  

why service tag is needed?

25 Posts

April 10th, 2016 21:00

BESHAD,

I can't say for sure, but if you had set the service tag your board might have hashed out close enough to continue with your old license.  If you re-used the Wi-Fi card and the drives (s), there isn't much else to change the hardware hash unless you changed the processor.  Even if it still wouldn't license, MS probably would have given you a new code if you called them and told them you had installed a replacement mobo and reset the serial number on it.  It is still the "same system" after all.

Did you try downloading the Win 10 ISO from Microsoft using your Win 8.1 key?  You should have been able to just install Win 10 and not have to buy it.  You must be one of the few that have so far!

No Events found!