BESHAD
1 Nickel

RE: XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Jump to solution

no i don't think it would. i tried it on mine but it didn't work. although i had a faulty motherboard and not a faulty battery. i don't know how it would react if battery is faulty and mother is fine. 

0 Kudos
BESHAD
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

you might be right about the red X over battery, i don't think i had it on mine. mine had simply just the ' plugged not charging" message.

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yes, it should.  I am currently running Acronis on an XPS 1810 from a bootable flash drive, and there is no battery in the system.

0 Kudos
ratterbury
1 Copper

Jump to solution

The tablet works when connected directly or through the cradle.  Unfortunately I want the xps for its portability so need a battery that charges.  I am not equipped to remove the battery myself

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I haven't had many batteries fail.  We have a lot of XPS systems that are well over 2 years old and out of Dell warranty, and have very few failures, maybe 4 in the last year.   I expect to see the failure rate increase as these systems age even more.  Replacements are available through the usual online sellers but true OEM ones are hard to identify.  We are getting ours through a Dell reseller and they are expensive.  They are used in veterinary and Medical X-ray systems so we don't cut corners.  You can!  A super quick search found a seller at $62 which is about 1/3 of what we pay IIRC.

A lot of the discussion here has been about charging issues that had nothing to do with battery problems.  Those are a mobo problem and a mobo is usually the only fix for charge port issues.  Be happy you have a bad battery!  Its an easy fix.

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

A T8 Torx driver and a #0 Phillips is all you need.  I'm pretty sure there are some videos online, it s not without risk but it is fairly easy.

0 Kudos
RufusA
1 Copper

Jump to solution

A final update from me. The i3 motherboard arrived yesterday, and I installed it this morning (using one of the helpful online guides / videos).

I can confirm that after installing the new board my Dell XPS 1810 will now happily charge once more from both the stand and the original charger plugged in to the side. So all is good!

I had a few challenges on the way:

• I pulled off a lug on the WLAN card when I tried to ease off the cable (replaced it with a spare card from an old laptop I had lying around).
  • Windows 8.1 wouldn't boot, until I upgraded the BIOS (A03 -> A06) and changed the SATA options to use Intel Smart Response Technology (as my i7 MB had this enabled at the time of replacement).
  • The touch screen is not working! I've checked all the connections, so it may be a fault on the motherboard, or somehow I've managed to damage a cable or the little daughter board in the install. However I'm not sure it was functioning before (I so rarely use it), so I'm not going to invest any time in trying to fix, I'll just chalk it up to experience!

Thanks everyone for your sage advise and knowledge which got my XPS 18 back on its feet. 

Rufus.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
electrodd
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with a dell xps 18 bought on 2014 (out of warranty). After reading all posts of this thread I realized it was a matter of time before getting this error. Unfortunately, I don't have a cradle to test if it charges. When the problem started a few days ago it would charge a little bit, then not charge, then charge, then not charge. Then it would charge only when turned off for 1-2 days. Now it doesn't charge at all. I'm at 24% of the battery. I tried the hard reset indicated. When i turned it on it charged for one minute and then nothing again...

On all the above occasions, the charger's light is on and the red light on the right in also on constantly(when the charger is plugged in).

Are there any suggestions? Should I be looking for a new motherboard?

0 Kudos
BESHAD
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

i had the exact same above symptoms. save yourself lots of headache and don't waste time researching it any further. just order a replacement motherboard off ebay. they are so cheap now.

0 Kudos
prompto
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Just to chime in. Mine had the same problem and wasn't charging while on AC adapter and the light is just red. I decided to purchase a dock and had it ship internationally to me, so far, it has been working well.. I think the problem lies in the adapter port somewhere in the motherboard,luckily it seems that the pogo pins below for the docking stand is a different connection because charging is still working again on mine..

0 Kudos