Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2014 11:00

XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Hello folks,

I need help with a problem. When I plug in the charger to the tablet directly is shows "plugged in but not charging" but when i plug it into the cradle it works fine. I was wondering if this is a software switch that I might have activated. I have just updated the drivers, bios and disconnected and plugged back in the battery. Still have the same issue. I also checked the charger and it is working as should be.........

Please help.

5 Posts

May 6th, 2016 06:00

A final update from me. The i3 motherboard arrived yesterday, and I installed it this morning (using one of the helpful online guides / videos).

I can confirm that after installing the new board my Dell XPS 1810 will now happily charge once more from both the stand and the original charger plugged in to the side. So all is good!

I had a few challenges on the way:

• I pulled off a lug on the WLAN card when I tried to ease off the cable (replaced it with a spare card from an old laptop I had lying around).
  • Windows 8.1 wouldn't boot, until I upgraded the BIOS (A03 -> A06) and changed the SATA options to use Intel Smart Response Technology (as my i7 MB had this enabled at the time of replacement).
  • The touch screen is not working! I've checked all the connections, so it may be a fault on the motherboard, or somehow I've managed to damage a cable or the little daughter board in the install. However I'm not sure it was functioning before (I so rarely use it), so I'm not going to invest any time in trying to fix, I'll just chalk it up to experience!

Thanks everyone for your sage advise and knowledge which got my XPS 18 back on its feet. 

Rufus.

2 Posts

October 5th, 2016 15:00

I have the same issue with a dell xps 18 bought on 2014 (out of warranty). After reading all posts of this thread I realized it was a matter of time before getting this error. Unfortunately, I don't have a cradle to test if it charges. When the problem started a few days ago it would charge a little bit, then not charge, then charge, then not charge. Then it would charge only when turned off for 1-2 days. Now it doesn't charge at all. I'm at 24% of the battery. I tried the hard reset indicated. When i turned it on it charged for one minute and then nothing again...

On all the above occasions, the charger's light is on and the red light on the right in also on constantly(when the charger is plugged in).

Are there any suggestions? Should I be looking for a new motherboard?

17 Posts

October 5th, 2016 21:00

i had the exact same above symptoms. save yourself lots of headache and don't waste time researching it any further. just order a replacement motherboard off ebay. they are so cheap now.

25 Posts

October 5th, 2016 22:00

This is a picture of the failed chip on one of my motherboards.  There are two of these on the board, one for each of the charge ports.  I can't find a reference to who STF with an underlined "T" is and I can't find an 8 pin leadless 1317 part.  If anyone has any idea how to source some of these it would be interesting to try to replace it.  I currently do not have the proper tools to rework this but that can be overcome.

15 Posts

October 5th, 2016 22:00

Just to chime in. Mine had the same problem and wasn't charging while on AC adapter and the light is just red. I decided to purchase a dock and had it ship internationally to me, so far, it has been working well.. I think the problem lies in the adapter port somewhere in the motherboard,luckily it seems that the pogo pins below for the docking stand is a different connection because charging is still working again on mine..

2 Posts

October 6th, 2016 11:00

Thank you for the answers! So I'll have to either buy a docking station or a new motherboard (hoping that one of these will solve the problem). Or just buy a mac :p

If you have any links of where I can find them at a low price, please post it. I live in southern Europe

1 Message

January 2nd, 2017 07:00

This also worked for me. MANY thanks as I was getting nervous about replacing the motherboard (they are NOT easy to find). Hopefully I will be able to survive a while longer as I love this computer and woudl be bummed if it became a brick!!

No Events found!