frouke
1 Copper

RE: XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I found a solution to this problem. Actually, my colleague did: shut down your computer, have the power supply cable hooked up to your computer; then hold your finger for a long time on the start button and do a reset/hard re-boot.

Start your computer, and in about 5 seconds you see it charging again.

X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi frouke,

I think the XPS charging gods smiled upon you.  If only it were that easy for the rest of us.  If anyone else has success with a simple hard reset please chime in.  I always try resetting the system before I even start to get serious about troubleshooting, and if inside  the system even disconnect the CMOS and main batteries for a while.  I haven't had your good luck!  I'm glad yours started working again!

0 Kudos
prompto
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Didn't work for me. When doing a hard reset it boots into the dell logo and shutsdown and loops all over again until I stop pressing. Not sure that's a hard reset.

0 Kudos
frouke
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi X-Ray Tech,

I had to push the button for about 30-40 seconds just to get all power off (even though my computer needed to be plugged in). It has to kill anything power. Then let it start. After about 20 seconds it started charging.

X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Frouke,

I took a few minutes and just tried this on some of the units I have under my bench.  The ones with little life in the batteries just powered on and off several times while the button was pushed and still wouldn't charge.  One had only 2 percent battery so after the battery depleted I tried it again.  The ones with totally dead batteries did not change after the long button push either.   I played with the concept a bit and nothing seemed to get any charging function on the bad ports.  I had done a normal reset on these before and had reset the BIOS on some, and even disconnected the BIOS battery on a couple of them.  Nothing short of a mobo swap has worked so far, unless the charging problem was just a failed battery which is a different issue.

It is worth a try, but I suspect you were just lucky!  

0 Kudos
witsends
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I would like to confirm Frouke's fix. I did the same as he instructed, holding down the start button for about a minute or maybe even a bit longer. Then I released the button and pushed it once to boot it up, as usual. I saw right away that the battery was charging and it still is charging. Hopefully this does the trick as my warranty has expired and I am out of the US long term, with no service center to look at the problem. Give it a try and let me know how it goes for you.

Incidentally, my battery was down to 5% before I tried this fix. If it goes down to zero, can I still use the power chord (I never bought a stand) to power the unit, or does the machine completely shutdown dead. With other laptop computers that I have had, a dead battery was never an issue for using the power chord, but I was wondering if this is different case.

I hope this fix is not a one-time fix and I don't have any more issues. Besides this issue, I have had no other problems whatsoever.

Good luck! .. up to 18% now ... charge baby, charge!

BlackSushi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi there do you know what component is the charge regulator i mean the pwm seem to be the chip PM25LD010 which i think is the bios in this motherboard let me know if you can get more info.

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I don’t know, I was hoping someone here might know. I may be able to get a scrap XPS 18 with a bad motherboard soon, I am waiting to see how it gets dispositioned. I don’t have a motherboard to look at so far. PM25LD010 is a flash chip.  The XPS 18 will charge while powered off so I assume the BIOS will not be involved. There is most likely a charge controller chip or maybe two separate ones, one for each port.  It could also have a small micro or a state machine to control the charge.  There are some really excellent dedicated chips, so I would think they might have used one of them.  I just don't know.

After many years of wanting, I finally got a stereo zoom microscope a short while ago and just finished fabricating an adapter to convert a boom monitor stand to a scope mount over the weekend. Now I have a nice microscope setup so I can do more SMT inspection and rework in the home lab.  Now I just need that motherboard to study!

0 Kudos
sflitteral
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well the problem is back again after a years time.

When I first posted this issue it was under warranty and Dell sent out on site service tech. He replaced the motherboard,cmos battery and a few other connecting wires along with a new charger. Everything worked great again. Well it back to the same issue again. So now that its out of warranty does anyone know what the cost is to get this repaired. Its frustrating to have this happen again. I really love this computer but i cant be left high and dry again and i really don't want to carry two computers around just in case it plan out fails on me.

Help!

0 Kudos
sflitteral
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Just tried chat with support. Very Very disappointed with them.

But what would you expect. Same issues with the PC and now that its not in warranty they will not support you with trying to get a fix. I will be taking my business elsewhere for new PC.

0 Kudos