sidca1400
1 Copper

RE: XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Jump to solution

Any news on this?  My XPS 18 charges on the stand, but not when plugged-in directly.  I just got off the phone with Dell's support group after an 1.5 hours (1/2 hour of which was on hold)...  They want to charge me $129 (plus tax) to fix it 'if it's a software problem' and $269 (plus tax) 'if it's a hardware issue' and they have to replace the MOBO. 

I've only had this machine for a year and 8 months.  I understand it's out of warranty, but given the number of complaints from XPS 18 owners, this seems like a 'known issue' that should be fixed by Dell.

Hey Dell!!  Where are you??????

0 Kudos
mbacalla
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I received my replacement XPS18 yesterday. Set up the unit and checked for it to be charging on the stand. It gave me a scare at first when it reported to have power but not charging. I reset the unit on the stand and this time it started charging. It charged the unit to 100% and so far it has not had any issues.

Then I decided to run and experiment using the first unit that I was returning because it would not charge on the stand. I took the old unit and sat it on the new stand and it charged as normal. I checked the bios and it reported the power supply as the 65 watt connected. I then took the new unit and connected it to the old stand and it charged on the stand with no problem, also reporting the power supply in the bios correctly.

Once more, I took the old cpu unit and connected it to the old stand. Once again, it failed to charge and the bios did not recognize the power supply when connected through the stand.

This then is sort of mind blowing. I can’t say it is a motherboard failure and I cannot say it is a stand failure. It seems to be a combination of stand and motherboard the drives the problem since the old motherboard did not work with the old stand but it worked with the new stand and the replacement unit worked with the old and new stand. Go figure.

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

SIDCA 1400-  You might ask Dell what they will charge for a warranty extension, you should be able to purchase an extension for yours even though the warranty is expired.  We are looking into this option at my workplace.  You can just search for "Dell warranty check" and input your Service Tag # or Express Service Code.  Click on the warranty tab and enter the Capcha and there should be a green "Request Warranty Extension" box.  It might not cost much if any more than the repair they quoted, and you will be covered if the problem comes back during the warranty period.

Please post details of how you got your quote if possible.  The price my local PC repair shop was quoted for the board was about 4x what Dell quoted you for the repair.  That repair would seem to me to be a good deal if you can't get a warranty extension.

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

mbacalla-  I'd have done the same checks, sounds like we have the same curious nature.  The results were certainly not what I would have expected, It is certainly puzzling.

I'm glad you got a replacement, I hope it lasts for a long time!

0 Kudos
sbextra3
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Having the same issue. After speaking with tech support, they sent out a tech to change parts. Seemed like a guess on Dell's part. Changed the pins, same issue. Dell decided to swap with a new unit. New unit arrived, doing the exact same thing. Plugged in, not charging with cradle. Looked at BIOS as you suggested and you are correct. 65W in BIOS when plugged directly in, Unknown when in cradle.

Did your new unit solve the problem? I'm in the same boat. Build on the first unit was early 2014 and this build on the new unit late 2014.

Looks like I'll be sending both back until they get it together.

0 Kudos
dgarrett1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

My XPS18 is back to charging normally after tech replaced the motherboard.   Before that, they switched the base, and the LCD unit, and it still was not charging.

So far so good, but I'm going to watch it carefully, I've got 5 months left on the original warranty...

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I don't have anything new from my end except another couple of failures in the pile.  The newest one is still under warranty so I'll be contacting support when I get time.  Still waiting to hear about warranty extensions on some of the ones that are out of warranty.  Things move slowly at my workplace.  No luck finding anyone that can repair the boards or any info on the failure so I can repair them myself.

0 Kudos
sbextra3
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update.

When I contacted my tech agent at Dell who replaced the entire unit, I again described the issue, the history of this problem and the resolutions that were found here.

He emailed me back and said they'd be sending me a new cradle.

I told them the cradle was replaced with the entire new order they just shipped to me -- same issue.

I also emailed him the link to this extensive, thoughtful discussion and resolutions. I also suggested this problem has been known and worked on for a while and should be in the database somewhere.

The tech said they typically don't pay attention to the discussions and solutions on these forums because there is "so much negativity" and the solutions aren't usually valuable to their process.

Not kidding. As I pointed out to him, sometimes on a specific issue that has been found and resolved by Dell and their users, this can be a potential resource.

Said it "can't be the motherboard because it's been extensively tested before it leaves Dell."

I told him to go ahead and send me a cradle, see what happens and go from there.

He called me 5 minutes later and said he was going to pass all to the engineering department for a solution and get back with me in a couple of days.

As always, very pleasant and apologetic and promising to get it fixed, but man this is frustrating.

We'll see.

Watch BIOS:

Plugged into unit, shows 65W supply as appropriate.

Remove from unit, shows NONE as appropriate

Plugged into cradle, shows Unknown

As you and others have suggested, I believe the unit is not happy with the power supply and to protect itself will not allow power to flow to the battery, etc.

X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

SBEXTRA3- The XPS has two charge paths that seem to be totally separate, one from the normal plug-in port an and one from the stand port.  It sounds like the charge circuit from your stand port has failed and it will take a motherboard swap to fix it. 

The failure I mentioned that would have been under warranty turned out to be a bad connection at the charge port to the XPS that was due to our product.  The symptoms were the same but a cable replacement and some realignment fixed it.  If I could only get the others working again...

That was an interesting comment about the negativity in the forums, I don't think we are being overly negative here, just factual and hopeful for a solution!

0 Kudos
philengle
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Well, this is awesome.  I just unboxed my new unit yesterday, and it exhibited the same behavior (plugged in but not charging in cradle).  For a device this mature, I wouldn't expect this type of issue, especially from a brand new unit.  Very frustrating...  I guess I'll have to go down the path of calling support, although it appears there is no true 'fix' for this issue.

0 Kudos