eatan
1 Copper

RE: XPS 18 Tablet not charging while plugged in??

Jump to solution

Hi I have just ordered my XPS 18. Was not aware of the poor reliability of the power stand charging issues until I came accross this forum. Confidence in the unit has gone to zero!. I tried to cancel my order but too late as it has been shipped! I would appreciate if you could update on how your XPS 18 is performing and maybe restore some of my faith in the unit.

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cslynch22
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

EATAN,

Other than my power stand charging issues I have no complaints with my XPS 18 it is exactly what I wanted.  Mine charges fine through the side port and I am awaiting a replacement.

I am not a gamer but it plays the few games I use perfectly fine and I use remote desktop a lot on it too.

Again, no complaints and it boots very fast with the SSD.

0 Kudos
X-ray Tech
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Eatan,  these are good workhorse systems overall and Dell support will make them right should you have an issue while under warranty.  You may never have a problem with it.  Keep in mind that the happy folks that have had no problems aren't posting here! They are in the majority!  There is a negative bias because we are talking about a specific type of problem, not the overall performance and function of the XPS.  I don't know my company's XPS failure rate and I won't even venture a guess because that would not be helpful.  It is not a high percentage by any means.  It also is not an insignificant number due to our own high warranty costs when one fails.  I would like to know the root cause of the failures so I can repair out of warranty systems.  Failing that I would like to have a way to get new or rebuilt (not refurbished) replacement board at reasonable cost.

I am trying to be fair while seeking more information here and providing what I know.  I have seen much bigger problems with PC hardware.  A certain manufacturer (not Dell!) of PC motherboards I dealt with at a previous employer was selling us boards with a 50% failure rate at turn-on!  Now that was a zero-confidence situation that has left them as my last choice for new hardware even years later.  Even that is unfair as their new products are quite highly rated.  Dell does a good job overall and their support is quite good.  Please remember this is a discussion about a problem only some are experiencing and most get it fixed for free under warranty.  Be fair!  This message was composed on a Dell OptiPlex 3020 about which I have no complaints.

0 Kudos
eatan
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks X-Ray Tech for restoring my faith in the product. I only opted for the standard 1 year warranty. Is it worth extending it? 

0 Kudos
sbextra3
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Eatan,

I echo the last two comments...and hopefully, your machine will not the have the issues. I really like the system. Otherwise, I would have given it back a few weeks ago. Dell has a 30 day no questions asked free return on these (at least the did just a month or so back) so if that's still in place no need to stress.

My company goes through a lot of computers of all types and this one lives up to the reviews it has gotten since the debut. Except the charging issues and really, what's the typical large computer supplier tech support issue.

This problem touches those with the cradle most. They've been packaging the cradle recently with only the more expensive unit. So if you whittle down the number of events across the XPS18 family it's relatively small group and therefore doesn't get the attention it should at the company.

Because it's the more "advanced" system, the people who purchase it usually have some better understanding of troubleshooting these things. What gets frustrating is doing the dance with tech support to finally get them to acknowledge that the issue needs to be addressed at a higher level and stored in their database of solutions.

There are a number of people here who have been through/are going through the fight right now and I was glad to get their advice when I started with the issue.

If you get a bad one, decide if you like the system and jump in the fight and they'll get it eventually. If not, you probably have an out depending on what was available when you ordered.

Please let us know how you make out....good or bad!!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
philengle
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Update - My BRAND NEW replacement unit arrived today at my work.  Since I'm headed off on vacation tomorrow, I quickly unboxed and set it up to test if the issue is fixed with the new unit.  Unfortunately, the new unit has the exact same symptoms as the first.

It will charge when directly connected to the PC; when powered through the dock (power plug fully seated, light on), the PC reports 'plugged in, not charging'.

I then repeated the BIOS test the tech had me perform over the phone - enter the BIOS by pressing F2 on power up.  Scroll down to the AD Adapter Type line at the bottom.  When unplugged, it reports 'none'; when plugged directly in the PC, it reports '65 W'; when docked, it reports 'unknown'.

So I've sent off a very direct email to my support rep, detailing the latest, pointing out this is clearly more than an 'odd situation', and that they have both a manufacturing and quality control issue.  I've asked them to re-engage with this thread and to recognize the issue they have.

I will continue to insist on a brand new replacement which has been fully tested and validated by Dell.

Since I'm headed out on vacation tomorrow, my next update will likely be at least a week away.

0 Kudos
sbextra3
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Sorry to hear it, PHILENGLE. Was hopeful.

Enjoy the vacation.

0 Kudos
philengle
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Here is the latest from Tech Support:

Thank You for choosing Dell. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your Dell system.

Following your e-mail to us, please see the next steps that will occur in relation to your Service Request Number 911964989

We regret the inconvenience caused, we have escalated the case to our back end team and will keep you updated.

Your experience with Dell is of utmost importance and priority to us.

0 Kudos
sbextra3
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

The same service tech that came out to repair my first unit, will be back tomorrow. He will be bringing the exact same part that he replaced in the first unit that did not fix the problem.

When my Dell Tech Support rep emailed me that the engineering department at Dell studied the problem and reported that this was the fix, I informed him that we already did this dance for the first unit, it did not work and they subsequently replaced the first unit with my current unit.

After the first unit repair attempt, the replacement of the cradle, a full unit replacement, much discussion, very specific troubleshooting, "elevating" the problem to the experts in engineering, we will now start over and do it all again.

The dispatched service tech said "Didn't we already do this"?

The definition of insanity...

Will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
cslynch22
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hate to tell you guys this but mine appears to be fixed.

I guess mine was the stand.

They sent a entire replacement pack.. so I put the lcd on my first stand and it did the same thing.

I assumed it was bad just like the first one but decided to take the stand out of the box and try it and lookie lookie that worked.

I put my original screen on the new stand and it worked.   It is currently charge with original computer in the new stand.  I just repacked the old stand to send the rest back.

If anything changes I'll let you guys know.  Sorry mine does not appear to fix ya'll issues as the stand has been tried already for you.

0 Kudos