Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2015 16:00

XPS 18 will not boot, power light will not stop blinking

I was upgrading this computer to Windows 10, I had done an in place install but the kids had spyware that was showing up even then. I did a refresh, it failed I did an install and finally got into windows. Installed a couple updates and rebooted.

The computer has been bricked since. The only thing that is happening is the LED that indicates the power above the button will not stop flashing white. Plugged in or not plugged in, after holding down the power button for 5, 10 and 30 seconds, The power light stops flashing for a moment and then starts again. I tried multiple outlets. No clue unless it is coincidental hardware failure.

1.2K Posts

August 20th, 2015 06:00

Hi Steve ,

Thank you for sharing this reply .

Regards,

101 Posts

October 13th, 2015 03:00

Hi,

I have been running Win 10 now on my XPS for over a month with no problems but yesterday I started suffering from this same issue.  I have tried pulling the battery cable out but this has not helped I still have a bricked XPS 18.

Please help

Thanks

October 13th, 2015 11:00

Hey there,

Did you find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue. 

Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery didn't do anything. 

Dell Support seems to think it's stuck in sleep mode, but I don't see how this would persist past a power down. 

The white LED blinks 7 times, pauses, repeats. 

Thanks. 

Andy

October 13th, 2015 12:00

Hello, we are all having the same issue i am afraid, I have replaced the ac socket board on mine, tried unplugging the battery etc. Unfortunately I conclude the main board recognises a psu but does not charge. Hence there is not enough power to boot and you get the flashing white light of death. The two workarounds you face are, replace the main motherboard or do what I did and buy the stand which allows you to charge and power it from the gold connectors on the base of the unit.

October 13th, 2015 13:00

I've got one of those stands but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  I left it charging for a full 24 hours with no change.

5 Posts

October 16th, 2015 09:00

Thank you for this suggestion.   Unplugging the battery & CMOS battery worked.   My XPS is functioning again.

October 16th, 2015 15:00

Where are these main battery and cmos battery cables ? I am in the same boat. My XPS is a brick with a flashing white light.

October 17th, 2015 07:00

Thanks !

It's Alive ! Once I located the cables, I disconnected them for a few minutes and VIOLA , signs of life from a lifeless brick !

October 17th, 2015 07:00

Thanks!

Saved a bookmark for that page. My XPS is back in action.

1 Message

March 6th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

I have the XPS all in one 1810, core i3 version. I was checking if this issue is covered by Dell?

I started getting the blinking white light and the fan was not turn off. This is with the adapter unplugged and plugged in. I did disconnect the battery and the fan stopped.  I then plugged in the adapter and it goes to solid amber and you press the power button it starts doing the white light blinking and it goes back to the fan staying on.

I tried to disconnect the CMOS cable but it is very tight and I did not want to force it.

The machine was updated to Windows 10; but if this is a defect I would like it covered.

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2016 05:00

Hi,
I am just an ignorant user trying to fix the blinking XPS 18 thing. The answer given by ndyberry00 on 13 Oct 2015 1:56 PM worked for me. But each time the power lights are blinking , I may dissemble and reassemble.
What do we need to do in the long run. How can we prevent this power light from not stop blinking.
BTW After disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cables, reconfiguring the BIOS time and date settings, WIN10 starts up. And what do I see : The battery indicator shows a 86% charge!
The battery was not low on energy, still the thing was blinking and refused to boot. Has anyone tried to change the BIOS battery?  And more in general, what do you guys do to prevent this state of power light blinking.
thanks,
Geert

No Events found!