Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 6th, 2013 08:00

XPS 200 - Upgraded RAM to 8gb - Boots w/ 32 bit OS, NOT with 64 bit

I've already verified ALL the RAM sticks are working and are the same speed & brand. When I boot the PC running Windows 7 32 bit, it loads just fine and "sees" the 8 GB of RAM but, of course, it only uses 4 GB of it. When I try to boot the PC with a FRESH install of Windows 7 64 bit (installed on a known-good, DBAN'ed Hard drive), it will only boot with 4 GB and under of RAM installed. Once I install over 4 GB of RAM, It will freeze at the "Starting Windows" splash screen. I would appreciate a straight answer from someone at Dell whether or not the Motherboard supports 8 GB of RAM. I would assume it does or the BIOS and the 32 bit system wouldn't even recognize it. If I can't get this problem resolved (and I see other people have had it) then I will have to pursue some type of recourse as I purchased the extra memory because I was told the motherboard would accept it.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to have the use of the FULL 8 gb of RAM.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 6th, 2013 10:00

The processor must be 64 bit capable. Check in System Properties to see if it says the cpu is 64 bit capable. One mistake is formatting before installing the 64bit version. You must boot to the dvd and select Custom Install and Drive Options to delete the partition you want to use and then install windows. You cannot use a 3rd party formatting utility.

4 Posts

July 6th, 2013 11:00

Thanks for the help but the CPU is 64 bit compatible. I can install any 64 bit OS on a "fresh" drive as long as I only have 4 gb of RAM installed. Once I install over 4 gb, I can't install any version of windows...it freezes at the "Starting Windows" splash screen way before I can select a type of install.

Just an FYI for everyone, I've been a Hardware tech for over 15 years (even worked for Dell in the field) so I have tried every thing I know. Dell needs to be truthful and let me know if this motherboard can handle 8 GB (like they said) or not.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit right now with 8 GB of RAM installed and recognized by the OS and BIOS but, of course, the 32 bit system won't utilize all 8 GB

4 Posts

July 13th, 2013 17:00

Hello, DELL...Would like a response....other people have has this problem. It's false advertising on your website...that's against the law.

1 Message

December 13th, 2013 06:00

I found this feed in the course of rebuilding my old XPS 200 and have the same problem.  Was this problem ever addressed or resolved?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 13th, 2013 06:00

This was not resolved its an INTEL chipset issue.  The OPTIPLEX 620 suffers from the same issue. Both are EOL EOS so this is not going to be fixed.  INTEL calls this End of Interactive Online Service.

EOIS.

:emotion-9:

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 16:00

If you'd read the manual (page 95), you'd have known the XPS 200 only supports up to 4GB of RAM. 

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2014 16:00

Would upgrading the CPU resolve the problem?

No Events found!