Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2012 18:00

XPS 210 hard drive fried

I'm using a laptop of mine to type this. With my 210 it boots to the " would you like to start windows in safe or normal mode".  Niether work as when i click on them i get a blank screen and it does not change. I've even left it there for 48 hours untouched. I want to know if i can fix this in any way or will and where do i get a new hard drive? Please reply, I need my pc back.   ;)

June 13th, 2012 19:00

Edit : I am using windows vista home premium. Not sure if anyone needs that info. but just making sure

June 13th, 2012 23:00

Hi thevirusfixer12345,

Welcome to the community.

In this case I’ll suggest to run a diagnostics on the hard drive using the resource CD. This will point out if the failure is with the hard drive. This is how you can run the test using the Resource CD:

1. Put in the Drivers and Utility resource CD in the drive.

2. Restart the computer and tap the F12 key at the Dell logo when the computer is restarting. This will bring us to a Boot Device Menu.

3. Highlight "IDE or Onboard USB CD ROM Device", and press enter. When you will press enter, you'll get the message: "Press any key to boot...". This message will only stay for 1-2 seconds and you need to press any key as soon as you see this message.

4. Wait for some time until you see the computer's Service Tag listed along with four options. Click on Custom Test. This will bring you to a list which has all the devices that your computer has.

5. Click on the '+' sign next to Hard Drive and then you'll get the Hard Drive that your computer has. Click on "Confidence Test" and then click on Run Tests. The tests might take some time. In case you get any error, please note it down.

Also in case there is no error on the diagnostics then the issue could be with the operating system, thus I’ll suggest to back up the data and re-install the operating system.

Let me know of the findings, Glad to be of assistance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 14th, 2012 13:00

thevirusfixer12345

For a replacement hard drive, you can use any SATA, 3.5", 7200rpm, internal hard drive, these can be purchased from most local and online computer stores.

Check out the Western Digital and Seagate brands, also check the lenght of the warranty, the usually warranty is for three years.

The procedure for replacing the XPS 210 hard drive is here,

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

After replacing the hard drive, Windows, plus all the drivers and applications will need to be installed on the new HD, the procedures for this, are here,

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_339949&isLegacy=true

Bev.

June 15th, 2012 05:00

Yeah, i think it's the hard drive. It froze at 3% of the confidence test and gave me a timeout. I also scanned for errors in the symptom tree in the hard drive and here are the results :Sata disk S/N=5QW3559H smart short + long test fail , read test fail , seek test good , start unit good , stop unit good , verify test fail - 4E0F:1A44  Block 180960, device quick check good.    So, i think i need to replace the hard drive?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 15th, 2012 09:00

thevirusfixer12345

Yes, you certainly need to replace the hard drive, it's failed.  :emotion-6:

Hope you have made backups to other media, of any files and folders you wish to save.

Bev.

June 15th, 2012 20:00

Hi thevirusfixer12345,

Thank you for your response,

The symptoms indicate that the hard drive of the computer has failed. This is how you can replace the hard drive:

http://tinyurl.com/5jewqw

Also this is the link where you can find the compatible parts for your computer:

http://tinyurl.com/7vu3dzx

Please revert if you need any further assistance. Glad to help you.

No Events found!