Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 22nd, 2009 12:00

XPS 210 upgrade

I have been searching on the net for a few days now and i haven't been able to find a solution to my issue that fixes my problem...assuming there is a fix.

As the subject states, I am upgrading my XPS 210. I already put in a new GPU and replaced the RAM from PC5300 to 4gigs of PC6400. I know, not a big change, but it was cheap so I did it.

Those two things went fine. Then I went to install the new CPU. I currently have an Intel E6320, and bought an E7600. They both use 65 watts, and are both intel core 2 duo's with 1066FSB. The only difference is the E7600 is 1.2ghz faster. It's also the fastest core 2 duo CPU with 1066FSB, which is why i got that one.

Now, when I installed the new CPU and turned the computer on, everything turned on ok. However, I wasn't brought to the boot up screen and the fan just sat there and spun with all the lights on. I tried updating my BIOS, which didn't work either. I have seen forums where people had a similar problem and the BIOS fixed the problem. Also, no one else has seemed to be able to switch back to their old CPU and it still work like I can. I'm wondering if the processor is defective at this point. However, before I try returning it for a new one I'd like to try any other option available here.

Does anyone know what else I can try to get this CPU to work? Aside from buying any more parts.

Also, the mobo number is WG860. I checked all over and couldn't find any info leading me to believe my processor won't work with it. I've never heard of motherboards only allowing certain processors from a line and not others. I always see stuff like "Intel Core 2 Duo/Intel Quad Core" etc. Never have I seen "Intel Core 2 Duo/up to E6320" or something similar.

Thanks!

10 Posts

December 20th, 2009 23:00

Hi,

I'm also trying to upgrade the CPU in my XPS 210.

Did you update your BIOS before or after theE7600 install? Do you find a faster processor that worked?

Kim

3 Posts

December 21st, 2009 07:00

Unfortunately, I never upgraded it. I found out later that the updated BIOS Dell released only worked on some of the Intel Core 2 DUO CPU's, and E7600 is not one of them. Any of the 45nm CPU's won't work.

So I just built a new computer. I also found out the motherboard used in XPS210 is a micro-BTX board, which isn't made any more. So if you chose to buy a new motherboard with updated BIOS for the CPU then you'd need a new case because you'd have to buy an ATX board.

Basically, you can upgrade the XPS210 up to E6700, which isn't very much. Otherwise you'll need to buy a new computer. I chose to buy a much larger case this time so I won't have such limiting options on upgrades in the future.

1K Posts

December 21st, 2009 10:00

Hi Durious and welcome to DELL Forums. Hi Kim.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/desktops/xpsdt_210/pd.aspx?refid=xpsdt_210&s=gen

The only instance I have seen mention of a CPU upgrade on a XPS210/D9200c is here. I do not know how reliable the info is, but it seems that you can upgrade the 210 to a Quad-core Q6600; However, make sure you flash the latest BIOS upgrade that DELL offers first and then install the CPU.

Faster CPU. I don't think so. Remember the 210 is a slim body and heat build up has to be taken into consideration and that is why DELL may have not released a BIOS for a faster CPU, and that Duals and Quads are going to be obsolete pretty soon, IMHOP. This thread has been read over 200 times and Kim's over 100 times without any other advises or opinions as to which is the fastest CPU for the 210, so I believe not too many people have been successful in using a fast Quad-Core.

Hope it helps.

Happy Holidays.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2009 11:00

Yeah, I had read the quad cores with the 65nm processors would work as well. It's just the 45nm ones that you can't get going on this board. Unfortunately I learned that info too late and I had already bought all the upgrades for the slim case. This is the computer I built isn't nearly as fast as it could be in such a large case.

I certainly learned a ton more about the XPS210 after I ran into problem after problem. But if I hadn't bought the stuff then I never would have learned about the whole BTX fiasco.

Once the i7 CPU's and compatible boards drop in price I'll upgrade again and have fun with those.

10 Posts

December 22nd, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the valuable info, and thanks for replying Durious! I feel your pain.

So if I understand you, Iroc, the Quad-core isn't worth the expense and trouble? Everyone else agree? Upgrading from an E6300 @ 1.8G to an E6700 or quad (if possible) wouldn't make a difference to my son who is a game lover? (The upgrade was going to be a Christmas gift to him).

Thanks for any info to the contrary, otherwise we can close this link and move on. 

My best wishes for a happy, healthy 2010!

Kim

1 Message

December 4th, 2010 13:00

Hey gals and guys,

I am now looking to upgrade my 210 from the E6300 to the E6700. However, for the E6700 there seem to be a 2.67GHz as well as a 3.20GHz version. So..

1. Is the faster 3.20Ghz version also compatible with the 210, and

2. Would someone be able to provide a rough process and a few tips on how I can put in the CPU myself?

Many thanks for your help in advance,

Bohsen 

1 Message

May 24th, 2012 20:00

go to the intel web

i believe they have  chart showing all the cpu that will work in the xxps 210 and the quickest one is a 6700

16 Posts

January 9th, 2014 00:00

go to the intel web

i believe they have  chart showing all the cpu that will work in the xxps 210 and the quickest one is a 6700

Hey, I decided to use a thrift-store xps210 to build a high def media machine for my bedroom.  I had a 2.5ghz Pentium dual-core (E5200) CPU I was planning on installing, but I discovered I had a spare 2.4ghz Core 2 Quad (Q6600) processor laying around and decided to give it a try -- why not? 

First I updated the Bios to the latest version using the other processor, and then I shut it down and installed the quad processor -- and it worked!!  I will be installing an 1gb ati hd 6450 low profile pci-e video card I got on Amazon with that was $29 after a $10mir.  Now I'll have an inexpensive, small and FAST media machine....  It's running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with 4 1gb sticks of ddr2 ram.

BTW, Core 2 Quad Q6600 processors are going for $50 (buy-it-now) or less on Ebay now.

I thought others would want to know.

Cheers!

No Events found!