Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 8th, 2015 14:00

XPS 27 AiO - Can't get SSD caching to work

I had to recently replace my HDD in my Dell XPS 27 AiO; I took this opportunity to also upgrade to Windows 10. For whatever reason, since these changes I cannot get my system to use my 32GB Samsung mSATA SSD to cache processes as it it did previously.

I have looked at my BIOS to see if I should switch from ACHI to RAID but every time I try this I get a blue screen on startup with an "Inaccessible Boot Device" error. I made sure the SSD has been formatted with no partitions but I still cannot get the Intel Rapid Storage program to give me the Accelerate option.

What can I do to get this working like before?

11 Posts

September 30th, 2015 23:00

I have found the solution! On another forum someone had detailed a couple of troubleshooting tips - one of which finally worked for me. Here is what was said:

"What did work was shrinking my OS partition by 200MB. I noticed that people were having issues with IRST with additional partitions like Linux, etc. and then deleting them worked. So I assume (not verifiable) that IRST needs some space towards the end of the drive? After accelerating, the 200MB free space shrunk to 198MB free space. Dunno, but if someone else is having an issue where they cannot accelerate, even though everything else is correct, try shrinking the last partition (or the OS partition, I don't know which since I only had one main partition on the drive, aside from the other required Windows partitions)."

I shrunk the partition by 100MB, creating a small Unallocated space at the end of the HDD. IRST immediately refreshed with the option to enable acceleration under the Performance tab!

Thanks for trying to help. I hope by sharing this solution with you it will be of assistance to others.

780 Posts

September 8th, 2015 21:00

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

Can you tell us if the HDD was replaced with a SSD or a SATA Hard drive?

Thanks.

11 Posts

September 9th, 2015 08:00

It was replaced with an identical HDD, the Seagate 2TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive (ST2000DM001).

780 Posts

September 11th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

How was the Windows reinstalled? Did you clone the drives or did you use a Windows reinstallation DVD?

Thanks.

11 Posts

September 11th, 2015 05:00

I used a USB stick to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the new HDD.

780 Posts

September 15th, 2015 04:00

Hi,

Please send a private message with the computer's service tag.

To send a private message, click on my name and click start conversation.

Thank you

11 Posts

September 15th, 2015 14:00

This machine is not under warranty. Does this mean you cannot help me?

5 Posts

September 16th, 2015 09:00

Did you download the latest driver for the Intel Rapid Storage Technology for windows 10? I had a similar problem upgrading from windows 7 to windows 10 pro x64. If not here is a link to the driver just select windows 10 32bit or 64 bit.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-

11 Posts

September 17th, 2015 10:00

plumpjk, thank you for your answer. I did get a chance to visit that page. I downloaded the 64-bit Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver (File name: f6flpy-x64.zip) but I'm not sure how to install it. I tried unzipping but am not sure how to proceed. How did you do it?

I also downloaded the File name: SetupRST.exe but I don't think that's the solution. Even after restarting the PC I still do not see an 'Accelerate' option in the RST interface - only 'Performance'.

5 Posts

September 18th, 2015 15:00

I'm sorry that the first option didn't work FATCATTYCOON. This is another work around for getting your pc in raid mode without having to completely reinstall your OS. Warning if your not comfortable doing this I highly suggest you have someone else who is to complete these steps.  If you change a registry or accidently delete something important you will loose data and have to reinstall your OS. With that being said, I have used this method in the past. Here is a link choose either the windows 7 or 8 method switching to raid from ahci or ide. 

www.overclock.net/.../how-to-change-sata-modes-after-windows-installation

11 Posts

September 19th, 2015 12:00

I'd be willing to give that a try but the instructions are only for Win 7 and 8. Someone in the thread mentioned it not working with Win 8.1 and I am on Windows 10. Will this work with Win 10?

11 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 18:00

plumpjk, thanks again for your help. I did follow those instructions and manageed to get my BIOS set to RAID. I had uninstalled, then reinstalled the Intel RST driver after making the switch. But I still only show the 'Performance' tab in the program window. The system is indeed now in RAID mode (just confirmed after another restart) and the latest Intel driver has been installed. Is there something else I should do?

Here is a screenshot of both my Disk Management window and RST program window:

5 Posts

September 29th, 2015 02:00

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm in the middle of moving and been without internet for a few days. Only thing that looks different is that your ssd is showing in disk managment and I'm running a similar setup with a similar size hdd and my ssd does not show in disk managment.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/Doc1.docx:550:0]

No Events found!