Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2012 15:00

XPS 2710 Webcam Central not working

I just bought the XPS 2710 two days ago.  My webcam central worked yesterday but today it is just a black screen? It just says not connected supported network devices. Could anyone help me out? Thanks

11 Posts

July 12th, 2012 18:00

Hi Damon Law,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

In response to your query

First we can try disabling any video chat software if you have installed (example skype) if it still persists try uninstalling webcam central & reinstall the same & check for the respective drivers on device manager, please find below the link to reinstall the webcam central software

Let us know if this helps

Thanks & regards

Hari_R

Dell Social Media Responder

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2012 09:00

Same thing happened to me, while trying to chat on Skype.

6 Posts

August 7th, 2012 06:00

Did you open the camera on the top side of the xps 2710

I had the same Problem till i opened the camera lens :)

2 Posts

August 7th, 2012 09:00

No, the lens is opened. It says that it cannot detect the driver. I have re-installed and un-stalled Dell WebCam Central and all the drivers. Still does not work. :(

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 8th, 2012 11:00

Are running vista/windows 7 or XP?

SOLUTION (Until Dell actually FIXES THE ISSUE):

Go to the System Tray, find the Dell Webcam Central icon (it looks like the aperture of your webcam camera), RIGHT CLICK and DESELECT "Automatically launch Webcam Central when video streaming starts"

2 Posts

August 17th, 2012 07:00

I am having the exact same issue.  My Webcam on the XPS 2710 worked great, but is now not showing in Windows Device Manager.   I have also uninstalled and Re-installed the Web Cam Central SW with no luck.  Skype does not detect a web cam installed on my system either.  Please post if you found a solution.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 17th, 2012 09:00

Win32:Malware-gen disables windows installer and therefore usb detection of the webcam.

Dell support will ask you to do a factory restore which will delete all the user data.

2 Posts

August 17th, 2012 09:00

Is there anyway I can clear the problem without doing a factory restore?    Hate to go through getting everything setup again.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

August 17th, 2012 11:00

There is no one size fits all cookie cutter fix.

Backup all your data and do the factory restore.

4 Posts

January 18th, 2016 15:00

I ran into this camera issue due to my system becoming corrupted and having to restore from a backup.  After that I could no longer use Skype with video because it couldn't find may camera anymore and the camera no longer showed up in Device Manager.  Nothing I found anywhere on the Internet helped.  So, I installed a spare hard drive did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro.  The camera was back so I started poking around to discover what it used and found that the installation (at least part of it) resides in a folder on the disk.  The interesting thing was that after the install on the spare hard drive when I re-installed the drive with the camera problem the camera automatically reappeared.  Almost as though the hardware itself needed some kick in the pants that it got from me installing Windows on the spare drive.  When I tested deleting the camera from Device Manager it always came back when I rebooted the computer.

XPS One 2710 running Windows 8.1 Pro
There are two files being used by the driver for the built-in camera
ksthunk.sys
usbvideo.sys

Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager
You should see an entry in the left-hand column for: Imaging devices
When you open that entry you should see: Integrated Webcam
When you look at the properties for the Driver of Integrated Webcam you should see:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ksthunk.sys    (it is 8/22/2013 7:39 AM 21KB)
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\usbvideo.sys (it is 6/21/2014 3:33 AM 208KB)

If you don't see Imaging devices in Device Manager check to see if the files are where they should be.  If they are you probably have registry corruption.

Go to:
C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\usbvideo.inf_amd64_853a149025406013

Right-click on usbvideo.inf and select Install.  That should rewrite all the registry information and install the usbvideo.sys file.  I am not sure where or how the ksthunk.sys file appears, mine was still there.  After that, cross your fingers and reboot your computer.  Good luck.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

January 18th, 2016 16:00

roberts6-

This thread is 4 years old.

No Events found!