Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 11th, 2015 09:00

XPS 2710 (mid 2012) and Windows 10

Will the 2710 be approved for windows 10?  I receive a message every morning that windows 10 install "failed" - Is this normal?

11 Posts

August 18th, 2015 03:00

Thanks I will try later,  the pc said it was reloading my previous version of Windows so will I have to do this and then reload windows 10

11 Posts

August 18th, 2015 03:00

Thanks I'll try that later. Before the black screen it said it was reinstalling my previous version of Windows, so will I need to do this and then download windows 10 again.

6 Posts

August 18th, 2015 21:00

Windows 10 and XPS 2710 (mid 2012) - Update

Follow up - installed Win 10 Pro 64 bit from Microsoft Site on 08/16/15.  No issues with the upgrade process and computer operations have been error free for two days now.  My advice is to be patient and not get "happy fingers" during the process - play a game on your smart phone.  Thanks to the folks who replied to my post with their positive results.  Did not do a clean install...

ShagNasty

1 Message

August 19th, 2015 14:00

Hi ShagNasty,

Did you receive the notification from Microsoft that windows 10 was ready for your system or did you force the update? I too have a Dell 2710 that updated without any issue.

Thanks

6 Posts

August 19th, 2015 20:00

I "forced" the update and have not experienced any issues so far.  Another person replied to me that he had successfully updated his 2710, so I jumped in the fire.  I think he did a "clean install" later.  With my luck I decided to leave well enough alone....  I just got through upgrading my daughter's Inspiron 1525 Laptop with no issues..  Maybe MS is kinda "hinging" their bets on some of the older machines...

6 Posts

August 20th, 2015 04:00

I upgraded to windows 10, but the boot was ridiculously slow. It was also sluggish in use. Touchscreen didn't work with chrome, but did for other programs. Consequently, I went back to 8.1.  Like previous posters I'm shocked that Dell aren't supporting a recent model that is ideally specced for this type of operating system. Their loss though, because I'll be buying elsewhere in future. I don't buy manufacturers that don't support their products for a reasonable period.

2 Posts

August 20th, 2015 10:00

I have hesitated to upgrade, your experience shows me that I should not try to upgarde to Win 10; Dells lack of support is not acceptable and I will not purchase future Dell products. I shall also advise friends & family to avoid Dell products. Perhaps I'll just get a Mac.

5 Posts

August 20th, 2015 23:00

How is it possible that such an expensive PC and a company with $billions cannot arrange for the testing of this particular model asap? 

Questions which we would like Dell to answer asap are:

1. when is it estimated that these PCs will be tested and the necessary files updated prior to installing Windows 10?

2. what is the holdup? It cannot be finances or lack of staff, surely?

Please respond asap.

5.2K Posts

August 21st, 2015 07:00

If you register with Microsoft for delivery of Win 10, they will determine if your machine is compatible and let you know. If not compatible, they will tell you why. You can also go on-line and search for what others have experienced with your model.

My D9100, probably the oldest to possibly use Win 10 because of CPU limitations, was flagged by MS as not compatible because of the Nvidea video driver. After doing four updates with no problems, I decided to try the D9100 anyway. Installation was OK, with Win 10 installing a generic video driver. The only performance issue with the video was the inability to adjust test sizes. I finally found an old Win 7 driver, which installed and had all the needed functions.

5 Posts

August 21st, 2015 08:00

I registered for my tablet which was upgraded to Windows 10. I also registered for this Dell and the message says every day says "We're validating Windows 10 for your PC.... we're continuously working with our partners [ie Dell] to ensure that even more PCs work well with Windows 10. Your notification to upgrade could come as soon as a few days or weeks." Then there is a click box "OK, notify me when ready."

So, the issue lies with Dell and not Microsoft. So, I ask the question again - roughly when will such an expensive PC that is only 2.5 years old have the drivers ready to upgrade? Surely Dell must have some idea.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 22nd, 2015 03:00

To initiate the update see here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/upgrading-to-windows-10/

It doesn't matter if Dell supports the system or not, theres multiple confirmations that this model works.

I also have updated some significantly old systems:

• Latitude D820 - Legacy MBR BIOS Windows 10 64 Bit Pro (10130 Upgrade)
  • Latitude D630 - Legacy MBR BIOS Windows 10 64 Bit Pro (10130 Upgrade)
  • XPS 8300 - Newer Legacy BIOS Windows 10 64 Bit Pro (7 Pro OEM Upgrade)
  • Latitude E5510 - Early UEFI BIOS Windows 10 64 Bit Pro (7 Pro OEM Upgrade)
  • Inspiron 13 7347 - UEFI BIOS Windows 10 10 64 Bit (8.1 Home OEM Upgrade)

The only system supported by Dell is the 7347... All systems are being Clean Reinstalled so they actually work properly.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

9 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 10:00

Ditto.

They lost a life long customer from me too.

Adios Dell!

9 Posts

I am not confident about this post. I would be cautious because there is no detailed information on it.

9 Posts

I am reading some horror stories on this forum regarding upgrading the Dell ONE 2710 to Windows 10.

Specifically one person wrote they have a blank screen.

Another wrote they had no network connection to internet.

Others wrote they had to install NVIDIA drivers.

Has anyone actually had a successful install using the Media creation tool? What was your experience like? Did you have to install drivers from various websites?

Please clarify the gotcha's.

Thanks,

Jay

9 Posts

August 22nd, 2015 11:00

Hi,

I have a mid-2012 (purchase Dec 2012) Dell ONE 2710. I was thinking about force upgrading it too. I am worried some drivers like video or network won't work.

Did you have to upgrade any drivers after/post the upgrade?

Please advise,

Jay

No Events found!