Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 20th, 2013 15:00

XPS 2710 won't boot after RAM upgrade

Hi.

Upgraded my 2710 to 16gb of ram, and now it hangs on the "DELL" screen when booting.

I can get into the bios with f2 and it sees the 16gb of ram.

Any ideas?

1.8K Posts

June 20th, 2013 16:00

Hi TaylorD,

XPS One 2710 supports up to 1600 MHz, non-ECC, dual-channel DDR3 memory. Please check if you are using comaptible memory modules and if they are seated properly.

I suggest you to run the memory test from the built-in hardware diagnostics. To load the Diagnostics, start tapping F12 at the Dell logo and select "Diagnostics" from the list. On the next page, click on "Test Memory". The test result determines if there are any issues with the memory modules.

Please let me know the status of the Power LED if the issue persists.

60 Posts

June 20th, 2013 17:00

Hi.

I already tried reseating the modules.  The memory tests just completed and reported nothing unusual.

The power LED is illluminated, andd the LEDs near the bottom right of the screen light up when my hand goes near them.

Just the big DELL logo in the middle of the screen, nothing else... doesn't sound as if it's doing anything.

I should also mention, I installed an mSATA SSD last week, and encountered no problems.

Intel RST was working just fine.

I have also tried putting the old memory modules back in, and I am getting the same result.

Next logical step, remove the SSD, switch the BIOS back to AHCI, and see if I can do the RAM upgrade before the mSATA SSD?

60 Posts

Can't explain why, but this fixed it.

Removed new RAM, replaced old RAM.

Removed mSATA SSD.

Booted into BIOS, switched RAID to AHCI.

This brought me into the "Automatic Repair" (or something similarly titled) which was at least further than I got before.  I didn't do anything, but chose the option to shut down.

I then replaced the mSATA ssd and the new RAM and booted into bios, switched AHCI back to RAID, and it booted into Windows in 15 seconds.

Mystery to me.

1.8K Posts

Hi TaylorD,

Thank you for your reply and I appreciate your expertise to fix the issue by reseating the mSATA HDD. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

No Events found!